LCD monitor for web design, light Flash, light video editing?

Fia24

n00b
Hi all,

I need a good monitor for my job: web content management for a fairly intensive site. My work includes Photoshopping of course, some light Flash work (banners / slideshows), and small scale web video editing (Premiere Elements). A $2000+ graphic designers' monitor would be overkill for my needs, but low end monitors generally drive me crazy as a designer due to inconsistent, inaccurate color (viewing angle?) and fuzziness (dot pitch?). I want a decent mid-range 22-26" LCD monitor. Note: Web design only, not concerned with print, and no gaming, no movies.

I've been researching monitors and, as I understand, I should be concerned with the following for my needs. Please correct me if I'm mistaken:

• Panel type: Avoid TN, go for S-IPS or H-IPS if possible, PVA is acceptable?
  • Dot pitch: 0.27mm or less?
  • Viewing angle: 178 degrees?
  • Contrast Ratio: Don't go too high as whites will be knocked out, etc. 800:1 is good? 1000:1 max?
  • Refresh rate: Average/standard will suffice, as I'm not concerned with gaming?
  • Color gamut: Don't need too high (Adobe RGB), might be tricky to calibrate, as web work is in sRGB colorspace?

My employer will be buying it for me. I've compiled a list of monitors in the CAD$1200-ish range:

• NEC 2490WUXi - I've heard web designers prefer this model for accurate web colors, as the wide color gamut (aRGB) of the 2690 is tricky for web work?
  • Apple Cinema 23" - Harder to calibrate on PC? 8 bit only? Still uses 5 year old tech? Need to buy $200-300 extended warranty due to issues with this year's model?
  • Lacie 324 - S-PVA panel inferior to the above IPS panels for the same price?

I also need a list of CAD$600-800 choices in case I can't get approved for the above. This is what I've come up with so far:

• HP LP2475w - Is HP reliable?
  • Planar PX2611 - Poor dot pitch (0.286mm) compared to others
  • Samsung Syncmaster 245T - Slight buzzing, tricky to calibrate? S-PVA panel not as good as the above choices, but preferred over the newer Samsung 275T+ which has a TN panel?

I should also mention that I would definitely want to check out a display model first. If I cannot find a store with a display model, I will choose another monitor.

Any thoughts you have on my comments - corrections to my assumptions, additional monitors to consider, etc. - would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- T

Forgot to mention, if it isn't already obvious, I want a widescreen, 1920x1200 native resolution.

check the Acer al2216 22" locally if possible. TN, howsoever,
I could not tell *any* disadvantage in the store (text nor color).
so inexpensive you could upgrade to IPS if it is then necc.
Still on CRT here.
Don't know if any of the eleven or so other monitors were non-TN

You can't go wrong with the NEC 2490. Even though it is overkill for home use, it is what I bought.

Nothing has stable viewing angles like an H-IPS with A-TW treatment and it seems the only sure way to get it is to get an NEC 2490/2690.

sRGB ideal for web/video work.

Back