LCD vs LED

mwvirk

Weaksauce
i'm going to buy Samsung LCD P2450 1080p full HD but someone told me to go for LED.
need you help. shall i go for LCD or LED

thnx

To expand on that, there is also zero difference in picture quality between the two.

thnx for your reply.
i'm getting P2450 LCD for around $220 where LED with cost around $ 310 (forgot to get LED model and shop is now close)

mainly use will be gaming and movies.

honestly, i got P2450 and its with me but if you think LED is better than LCD then i can replace it without any charges. (only need to pay extra price for LED)

ok. so what i got from you guys is to go for LED rather than LCD. RIGHT?

Again, they are BOTH LCD's. One just happens to have white LED backlighting, and the other CCFL's.

Regardless, the "LED" backlit LCD's at that price range are just marketing gimmicks anyway. The only real useful LED backlit displays are full panel RGB LED's with local dimming. Not something you are going to find at that price point.

i'm asking about performance. bcoz what i can see in other sites that LED is new tech and cool.
i'm mostly using for gaming and HD movies.
if both r same then i'll keep my P2450H and will setup now.
(it wasn't open yet - just want to know if LED is better than i can replace it)

Stick with what you have. White LED edgelit LCD's don't perform any better the CCFL's at this price point.

i'm asking about performance. bcoz what i can see in other sites that LED is new tech and cool.
i'm mostly using for gaming and HD movies.
if both r same then i'll keep my P2450H and will setup now.
(it wasn't open yet - just want to know if LED is better than i can replace it)

I do not think your other choice would be simply a p2450 with LED backlight though? The other components of the monitor are what give the "performance" differences, and they are not likely to be the exact same. You'd have to compare your choices vs. each other, disregarding the type of back light used.

LED backlit monitors as they are currently used in monitors offer the following -

- instant state changing (no warmup when turning on, changing brightness)\
- size/weight, lighter/thinner monitor
- marginal power savings
- arguably better for the environment
- maybe better resale value because it is "LED," lol...

If you really want or need some of these then specifically look for a LED monitor. Otherwise just compare the merits of each monitor disregarding the back light.

Hmm, I don't agree with most of the above posts, and I think LED is worthwhile over CCFL for several reasons..

First is CCFL is known to age poorly. After many hours of usage the light will lose brightness and probably start to look a bit washed out / yellow / whatever. LED lights are known to suffer less from this issue. That's not an insignificant difference. LED also doesn't have the same "warm up" times when you switch on the screen. LED also uses less power (often overstated but it's still an improvement). Likewise I'd probably bet on an LED light having better reliability/lifespan than tube lighting..

As has been discussed on here before, local dimming also wouldn't be without issues when it comes to a screen being used as a computer display and people seem to forget the usage requirements (reading text etc) mean some technologies meant for TV's can't just be transferred over to desktop LCD's easily.

White LED screens do tend to have a narrower colour gamut than CCFL lit screens. That isn't a problem for what most people want (sRGB) but might be if you want a wider gamut than that, which is where RGB LED's tend to help. Those will come eventually but they do tend to be very expensive right now..

I'd expect to see a lot more IPS panels using LED lighting next year..

response time for IPS panels is very low. LED is also 5ms where LCD is 2ms.
i'm totally lost now :(

response time for IPS panels is very low. LED is also 5ms where LCD is 2ms.
i'm totally lost now :(

You're still not understanding. "LED" is ONLY the type of backlight and does NOT affect response time. Not to mention, where are you getting these numbers? Consumer Reports? lol...

Edgelit LED LCD's offer no advantage over CCFL LCD's (IMO) apart from being able to put "LED" on the sticker and have the uniformed consumers buy them in droves.

Now, full panel RGB LED backlit LCD's... yummy!

You're still not understanding. "LED" is ONLY the type of backlight and does NOT affect response time. Not to mention, where are you getting these numbers? Consumer Reports? lol...

Edgelit LED LCD's offer no advantage over CCFL LCD's (IMO) apart from being able to put "LED" on the sticker and have the uniformed consumers buy them in droves.

Now, full panel RGB LED backlit LCD's... yummy!

yes, i'm reading other forums and checking site.
let me know what u will do incase u want to buy something other than CRT when u have option to buy only LCD and LED and that is also when some limited brands/models are available in the market.

i can see in shops/store that lot of fancy LCD are arranged and people are buying w/o knowning what it is actually.

in my case, i got atleast some info here and now leaving on u... what will b ur opinion. shall i go for LCD or LED or open the box and use samsung P2450H

thanks for ur help.

yes, i'm reading other forums and checking site.
let me know what u will do incase u want to buy something other than CRT when u have option to buy only LCD and LED and that is also when some limited brands/models are available in the market.

i can see in shops/store that lot of fancy LCD are arranged and people are buying w/o knowning what it is actually.

in my case, i got atleast some info here and now leaving on u... what will b ur opinion. shall i go for LCD or LED or open the box and use samsung P2450H

thanks for ur help.

I already mentioned this but, you need to compare the monitors you want directly with each other, and simply disregard what type of back light they use unless you really want one of the advantages I mentioned in my previous post.

Your other monitor will very likely not be simply P2450H using LEDs instead of CCFLs, it will have other internal differences which will actually affect things like image quality and performance.

By posting a question still of "LCD or LED?" means that you have not understood what people are trying to tell you. LED back lighting is a component of a LCD monitor. It would be like asking "Do I want a computer or a sound card?"

For further understanding of the non-existent improvement LED offers read these reviews:

Samsung P2405H
http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung-syncmaster-p2450h-p357_7269_36.html

Acer LED (piece of garbage)
http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-s243hl-p357_7728_38.html

Equal Performance Between CCFL and LEd

CCFL
http://www.digitalversus.com/acer-h243hx-p357_7266_38.html

LED
http://www.digitalversus.com/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370-p357_6587_36.html

Guess what, the CCFL Acer retails for 170$ @ NCIX right now vs 260$ for the Samsung LED which is smaller and doesn't have speakers. Sure the Acer may cost 20$ per year to run vs 10$ on the Samsung, but with a 90$ price difference it would take 10 years for you to see the benefits of LED (suppose they last long)

The only thing I'll say LED backlit displays really can make a difference on in warmup time, in particular large displays. If you get a CCFL TV, it'll take some time for it to warm up. Count on 5-10 minutes before it reaches the configured brightness. LED backlights are stable almost right away.

Now this isn't a major issue, and makes less different on smaller displays (like computer monitors) but is a small advantage to note.

However really it shouldn't be a major purchase consideration. If I find a monitor that I can afford that I like in other respects that happens to be LED backlight, I'll take it. However I won't seek it out. Indeed I'm sticking with CCFL because of that. The monitors I like for desktop usage are NEC pro monitors and their new PA series are CCFL, just like their older 90 series. For TVs, the price difference is too much. I quite like my Samsung LN46C630, which is about $1000. For the same features, but LED backlight, I'd be getting the UN46C6300, which is more like $1400. $400 more just for faster warm up time isn't worth it.

The monitors I like for desktop usage are NEC pro monitors and their new PA series are CCFL, just like their older 90 series
They likely stuck with CCFL mainly because they wanted those screens to be wide gamut and offer more colour space choices, whereas white LED lighting normally restricts the gamut. Almost all "ordinary" users want to avoid wide gamut though (even many photographers prefer to avoid it) so most users wouldn't want that particular CCFL advantage.

As I outlined above there are certainly more differences than just warm up time though. Although not immune to change, the brightness on an LED backlit screen will tend to hold up better over time, whereas a CCFL tube tends to fade and "yellow" more (although I'm sure there's shoddy LED lighting out there too). Likewise, although it depends on the quality of components used, I'd still bet on an LED edge lit screen having a longer lifespan than CCFL. Most reasons for buying LED don't matter. However, when it comes to how well an LCD ages, as well as lifespan, these are arguably a lot more important than the small power savings that can be made.. and a good reason why people should choose LED screen lights (assuming the price differences aren't huge and the quality of the LED screen is ok etc)

Last edited:
Just like cellphones, is there any possibility for Active Matrix Organic LED displays come into market, as they are ultra thin and very good for power saving and yet yeald technical perfomance?

Last edited:
Just like cellphones, is there any possibility for Active Matrix LED displays come into market, as they are ultra thin and very good for power saving and yet yeald technical perfomance?

Do you mean AMOLED? Otherwise cell phones have the same LCD tech as monitors, some, like the iPhone 4 and Moto Droid, even have IPS panels.

Yes Active Matrix Organic LED (AMOLED)

Well, you left off the "Orangic" part before, hence my question - that is kind of key. After all, all LCDs are "Active Matrix" ;)

We won't see OLED monitors for quite a while - we just can't make them larger for a reasonable cost. Also, the AMOLED displays in smartphones aren't all that great. The new Super AMOLED in the Samsung Galaxy is fantastic, but it does have a screen-door effect which would be annoying on a monitor.

do led backlit monitors still use some kind of inverter?

the reason i ask is because most premature lcd failures are due to bad caps/ transistors in the inverter portion of the monitor

This looks like a dream monitor:D:D despite the fact that its not Active Matrix

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/lgs-31-inch-oled-prototype-to-slice-through-ifa/

look at the thickness

Why do you keep emphasizing "Active Matrix"? That doesn't mean much. Hell, if it isn't monochrome it's probably active matrix - regardless of whether or not it is LCD or OLED.

In short, stop paying attention to whether or not it is active matrix, because you just make yourself look like a fool trying to sound smart.

Why do you keep emphasizing "Active Matrix"?

Because he has no idea what that means.

In short, stop paying attention to whether or not it is active matrix, because you just make yourself look like a fool trying to sound smart.

Shh! Would you deny the rest of us the opportunity of smugly pointing and snickering at the ignorance of others, secure in our own false sense of intellectual superiority? You wouldn't want to disturb their blissful state of ignorance, would you?

Again, they are BOTH LCD's. One just happens to have white LED backlighting, and the other CCFL's.

Regardless, the "LED" backlit LCD's at that price range are just marketing gimmicks anyway. The only real useful LED backlit displays are full panel RGB LED's with local dimming. Not something you are going to find at that price point.

+1 ..

I wouldn't want local dimming on a computer monitor, no thanks. That tech is not mature enough, and its artifacts outweigh the benefits IMO.

Why do you keep emphasizing "Active Matrix"? That doesn't mean much. Hell, if it isn't monochrome it's probably active matrix - regardless of whether or not it is LCD or OLED.

I am not an electronic guy. When I read the technical explanation and characteristics of an AMOLED, that they offer higher refresh rates, consumes less power and produce superior image quality over OLED, it made me believe that AMOLED is the future of Flat Panel Displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

All of Samsung LED backlit screens I've ever brought home (and then returned) had an issue where black was colored blue. It's not hard to see either. Just look at the screen when it's full black and you'll see the bluish tint to it. Absolutely drove me nuts. Others may not be bothered at all.

I have a Dell U2410 and a Dell G2410 sitting next to each other and I like how much "whiter" the whites are on the G2410. Black is also more black on the G2410.

I've calibrated both with a Spyder3 and with a Pantone Huey.

I just wish the G2410 was 1920x1200.

I'm not sure what you are going for here? Are you suggesting that the g2410 has deeper blacks and "whiter" whites (and a higher static contrast ratio) then the u2410 due to the LED back light? You do realize that the internals for both displays differ much more then the back light right?

Oh, I do realize that. It's just that to my eyes and after calibration of both monitors, the G2410's colors look better. I'm not just saying this because one has LED backlighting and the other CCFL.

.. what will b ur opinion. shall i go for LCD or LED or open the box and use samsung P2450H

thanks for ur help.
Our opinion?

You're not paying attention to anyone.

LED is LCD
, why do you think they are different? because they use a different backlight? The response time and input lag has nothing to do with what backlight it is using (LED vs CCFL).

Try to base your decision on the individual monitor's performance/features, and not what type of backlight it uses, unless you are looking to save $1 worth of electricity per month.

I am not an electronic guy. When I read the technical explanation and characteristics of an AMOLED, that they offer higher refresh rates, consumes less power and produce superior image quality over OLED, it made me believe that AMOLED is the future of Flat Panel Displays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

AMOLED has zero advantages over OLED because AMOLED *IS* OLED. There isn't such a thing as just OLED - it is either AMOLED or PMOLED, those are the only two choices. There will never be a PMOLED TV or monitor - it is only used for very small and low resolution displays, or for monochrome displays. Active Matrix is *just* how the pixels are addressed, it has nothing to do with how they are displayed, or their quality, or anything that involves picture quality.

So, to summarize, AMOLED and OLED are *the same damn thing*. They are identical.

The only reason you ever see AMOLED is when discussing cell phone displays, because there actually are PMOLED displays on small, portable devices like cell phones and mp3 players.

You never see anyone say AMLCD, do you? Of course not, because we assume it is AM and because it really doesn't matter. It's the same with OLED.

How are you supposed to tell whether a monitor is full screen LED backlit or just edge lit?

Back