LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

obobski

2[H]4U
so, I didn't wanna throw my monitor model # in the title, because I don't want this thread to be viewed as "yet another...."

I'm dealing with a Gateway XHD3000 though, and its gotten itself into a somewhat interesting predicament

at first I thought, oh god, its failed, like the whining guy on youtube with the green lines, although I don't think thats the case, given that it "works" fine

so basically what happens is, given a random period of time (sometimes right when its turned on, sometimes after its been on for a while, this seems to be related to temperature more than anything else (if it gets fairly warm or if the room is fairly cool (we're talking like 60* F, not like 20* F, yes I realize it has a minimum operational temperature)) it'll start to VERY mildly flicker, I've got an ancient 17" LCD that does this when the room gets cold enough, and after enough time it warms up and stops, the Gateway seems to do this (if its started when the room is cold, or if its shut off for a while) most of the time, although sometimes it just comes and goes

so I was thinking, well, the power brick is external, so I can rip it open and have a peek, so with a friend and a decent multi, we ripped her open and had a peek, roughly what we found:

all caps and tformers are working
nothing is burned/charred
12V output rail (it has a 12V and 24V output) is driving about 12.2-12.3v unloaded
24V output rail is driving about 0V :)eek:)

however it still powers on and works just fine, apparently in spite of that 24V rail (even though that 24V rail contributes something like 70% of its rated power consumption, we didn't leave it hooked up on a bench for hours to see if the rail is coming on and off, but the hour or two we had it open, it never gave us power)

so I'm thinking, well damn, the PSU is borked, but that can be replaced

here's where it gets WEIRD:

so I turn it on tonight, after the last 3 days of ZERO flickering, and it starts up, and I wasn't in the mood to ignore it, given that I had some work to do, and I didn't feel like switching to my laptop or another monitor, so I thought, hrmmm, what happens if I drop the resolution (its normally 2560x1600), put it to 1920x1200 and BAM! -> ZERO FLICKER, ZERO ISSUES

so I started thinking about: what have I been doing with it for the last 3 days and not having flicker issues? mostly watching TV or movies, which means 720p or 1080p via HDMI and YPbPr

the only other thing its done is Fallout 3 @ 1600p

so what I'm wondering is, why is there zero flicker when the resoultion goes down a notch, and why do certain applications seem to "cure" the flicker (also, the flicker will sometimes only present with specific applications on the desktop @ full res (it seems to HATE pidgin/anything else using GTK, somewhat dislike Opera, and have zero problems with Outlook :)rolleyes:))

and yeah I thought about, well maybe the flicker is hard to see with motion on the screen, although if you feed static images into it (like solid white background) @ 1600p, you get some very mild flicker (like fullscreen pidgin -> flicker, grey/white background -> not so much), at 720/1080/1200p its impossible to accomplish it, and in FO3 its impossible to accomplish it (either with the main menus, the config screens, or the pipboy (in game menu) open)

tl:dr version:
why has my monitor broken itself to be more power efficient, is it gonna progress to arcs and sparks

and

why does my monitor hate certain applications, or why do certain applications hate my monitor

also, yes, I've tried the alternate DVI freq and reduced DVI freq from the ATI CP already, tried all 4 variations of that, seems to have no effect on the monitor at all (it doesn't seem to change anything)

anyone?

I had the same issue with a brand new one, so I returned it and bought something else. The XHD3000 has too many issues (black outs, white glow, input lag.....).

You could try a power conditioner, but they are not cheap.

Dave

I don't know much about the XHD3000, but reading this reminds me that a defective internal power supply was the downfall of the Gateway FPD2185W. As you can still read on Amazon (user reviews), quite a few people had them fail just outside Gateway's 1-year warranty.

Gateway was my first computer many years ago and I currently own two of them. The motherboard on one failed immediately and was replaced on-site by a contract tech after I arm-wrestled for too long with "customer service." After about a year the case fans in both of them began to fail. After some research it became apparent that the Taiwanese source for these fans specializes in supplying components by the millions and most likely was the low bidder. Even the replacement fans were dirt cheap.

The FPD2185W shared the Samsung LTM210M2 panel with the Samsung 215tw (a sweet performer that I own), the HP F2105, the NEC LCD2190UXp, and some other well-reviewed displays. Had Gateway not cut corners on the little stuff, it might have been a contender.

what worthless replies

sorry, but given that all this thread turned into was "fuck gateway" and "fuck the XHD3000 its flawed", nothing with the monitor itself is wrong, the PSU is defective, a power conditioner isn't gonna do a thing (it isn't gonna magically revive half the power stage....) but just so you'll come down off it, since purchase its sat on a -130 dB isolated power tap with AVR and more surge protection than you can shake a stick at

honestly aside from the PSU being somewhat at fault (and you really can't fault Gateway for this, even PCP&C has failures) the monitor is great, I've got none of the typical whiner issues ("white glow", "blackouts", or anything else, its a suberb LCD, it just needs all of its power....)

I'd also like to throw this in there for all the countless fools who find this via google:
this is not "yet another XHD3000 died" thread, you cannot use this to say "all users complain and say it breaks", this is a "a component failed and the owner is looking for a replacement" thread, just like all the countless n00bie "my 450W $9.99 EXTREME PSU blew up, help" threads

the basic questions, as re-stated from the above:
am I risking the monitor with the PSU being sorta "iffy" while I shop for a replacement?
why does it seem to have more issue at full resolution? (is this simply because full resolution demands more power? or because the image is more precise the issue is more visible? etc)

Last edited:
what worthless replies

Sounds like whining to me.

am I risking the monitor with the PSU being sorta "iffy" while I shop for a replacement?

The obvious answer is YES. If you operate something when it is not functioning properly, or in this case not powered properly, what is the most likely result?

FYI; a more descriptive title might get more attention.

Good luck with it

Dave

Sounds like whining to me.

The obvious answer is YES. If you operate something when it is not functioning properly, or in this case not powered properly, what is the most likely result?

FYI; a more descriptive title might get more attention.

Good luck with it

Dave

thank you for your wonderful contributions
without your help none of this would've been possible

what worthless replies

sorry, but given that all this thread turned into was "fuck gateway" and "fuck the XHD3000 its flawed", nothing with the monitor itself is wrong, the PSU is defective, a power conditioner isn't gonna do a thing (it isn't gonna magically revive half the power stage....) but just so you'll come down off it, since purchase its sat on a -130 dB isolated power tap with AVR and more surge protection than you can shake a stick at

honestly aside from the PSU being somewhat at fault (and you really can't fault Gateway for this, even PCP&C has failures) the monitor is great, I've got none of the typical whiner issues ("white glow", "blackouts", or anything else, its a suberb LCD, it just needs all of its power....)

I'd also like to throw this in there for all the countless fools who find this via google:
this is not "yet another XHD3000 died" thread, you cannot use this to say "all users complain and say it breaks", this is a "a component failed and the owner is looking for a replacement" thread, just like all the countless n00bie "my 450W $9.99 EXTREME PSU blew up, help" threads

the basic questions, as re-stated from the above:
why does it seem to have more issue at full resolution? (is this simply because full resolution demands more power? or because the image is more precise the issue is more visible? etc)
Rude, no manners, no education

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back