Leadtek A400 (6800nu) artifacts

blk95civicex

Limp Gawd
I recently got a Leadtek A400 TDH, and have had some problems with it from the start. When installed in "System A" the card shows many artifacts when running 3D applications such as 3DMark03, 3DMark05, and games. I have tried many different NVIDIA drivers, and system drivers with no luck. When the card is installed in "System B", the problems go away, and the card works fine. This lead me to belive that maybe something was wrong with System A's configuration/software, and I therefore rebuilt the machine from scratch. After the rebuild of System A, the problem still exists. Below are the system specifications of System A and B.

System A:

-AMD Athlon64 3200+ 512k L2 2.2Ghz
-Biostar K8VHA Pro with VIA KT800 chipset and latest
4in1 drivers
-Corsair XMS DDR3200 RAM (512MB)
-Maxtor 120GB hard drive
-Antec 420 watt PSU

System B:

-AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.6Ghz
-Abit KR7A133-R
-PNY DDR2100 RAM (768MB)
-IBM 80GB hard drive
-Western Digital 200GB hard drive
-Antec 350 watt PSU

Any ideas???

How's the cooling setup in System A compared to B?

Could just be too hot in the case...
Can't cool down hot components with already hot air? :cool:

Cooling in A is a little better than B. A has the Thermaltake BigWater watercooling kit w/120mm radiator and fan used as exhaust, 2x80mm front intake fans, and case temps are nice and chilly. B is cooled with the Kingwin Arctic Liquid Cooler w/80mm rad. and fan as exhaust, and 1x80mm front intake fan. The 6800 has an average idle core temp in the low 50C range, and has yet to reach 60C in benchmarking and gaming, not that I have done much on that card. Temps are low in this machine as well. I don't think it is the PSU, I have been running my previous setup, in my sig, without any issues.

First thing that came to my mind was the PSU as well, being as you're running more power consuming compenents in your System A.

Do you have another video card that you can throw in A and see if it does the same thing? It won't use as much power, but we'll know if something isn't screwed up, like the mobo.

Like I said above, I have been using the System A setup with a BFG 5950 Ultra and it works fine. That is what is in the box now, so that I can get some gaming done. I have pretty much ruled out the PSU. Thanks for the ideas though.

I have the same Motherboard, its an issue with the Motherboard. Try forcing your card to run in 4xAGP, after I did this all my artifacts went away.

|MaguS| said:
I have the same Motherboard, its an issue with the Motherboard. Try forcing your card to run in 4xAGP, after I did this all my artifacts went away.

Not crazy about losing my 8xAGP, but I'll give this a try. Thanks.

EDIT: You sure you got your board to run 4xAGP??? Because when I try it, it defaults back to 8x. Biostar's site says the board only supports 8x as well.

Get rivatuner and in the hardware tab have it force 4xAGP and then save it to load upon boot. It will downclock to 4xAGP. You shouldn't even need to reboot. Just check the Nvidia Control Panel.

BTW I know the main issue, It has to do with the AGP Driving Control but I can't find the correct value. After messing with it I have seen the Issue lower and even get worse so Im sure it has to do witht he board either not supplying enough power to the card or too little. I need to find a new board but Im broke currently...

A Million thanks! Forcing 4x AGP has gotten rid of the problems! Now it's time to send an email to Biostar and/or Leadtek to let them know of this issue, if they don't already know.

I'm glad you found your problem, and I know it sucks knowing your running 4x speed, but trust me 4x will not show any hit in performance.....from what I understand, none of the cards today get even close to maxing out 8x AGP....why they must upgrade is beyond me. And it's not so much that it actually hurts, but if you ever experience any kind of lag you'll be like "Damn that 4x AGP" :p glad it's fixed tho :)

Back