Leak factor

Krilikz

Limp Gawd
Now, im pretty damn close to switching over to water cooling. But investing a few hundred bucks to run water over another 2000$ worth of electronics worrys me. So is there any reassurance or any tips yall can give me. I know about clamps and what not, anything else?

Also after you test your system for leaks, is there any real chance of the system loosening up in a year or two after i install the system?

You trust it in your car, why not in your computer?

So long as you take care and maintain it, and make sure everything is set up right, no bad will come.

Now, im pretty damn close to switching over to water cooling. But investing a few hundred bucks to run water over another 2000$ worth of electronics worrys me. So is there any reassurance or any tips yall can give me. I know about clamps and what not, anything else?

Also after you test your system for leaks, is there any real chance of the system loosening up in a year or two after i install the system?
After a good 24 hour leak test, there's really nothing that should ever cause a leak. If you're really paranoid (sorry, worried ;)), stay away from acryllic topped blocks and 18W DDC pumps (the DDC warning is just because they've had the most attention from a few failures). I'd also suggest running 1/2" barbs with 7/16" inner diameter tubing - you'll have to stretch the tubing over the barbs anyway, so clamps aren't necessary, but they're still comforting to have on.

Some people swear by it, others say it's useless, but you can also try using FluidXP, PC ICE, or another marketed non-conductive fluid. It's pricy (about $20 for 1 liter), but some have reported having a leak and losing no hardware. Myself, I'd prefer to save the money and run distilled water with at least an algicide to prevent growth, and just run a normal leak test while making sure everything is properly attached and mounted. Hope that helps alleviate your fears.

Yes, 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs will never leak from around the barb if you use a hose clamp, and will likely never leak from the around the barb if you don't use one (I don't).

Just check everything for any possible leaks with a blow test. IE, cap one barb of the block to be tested with your thumb, and blow as hard as you can into the other barb. It should resist any blow-out for up to 10-15 seconds (or whenever you pass out!).

A 24 hour leak test after a good cleaning and sterilization of *all* your components is essential. Boiling water and vinegar are great for flushing out radiators and copper pieces, but keep vinegar away from plastics.

Also, never use alcohol on, near, or around plastics.

I use worm clamps on 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. Leak test for 24 hours and you should be ok.

Yes, 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs will never leak from around the barb if you use a hose clamp, and will likely never leak from the around the barb if you don't use one (I don't).

Also, never use alcohol on, near, or around plastics.

I use worm clamps on 7/16" tubing over 1/2" barbs. Leak test for 24 hours and you should be ok.

Agreed and proven.

i agree also.... just get good barbs from ek to replace any plastic ones

my system dost leak at all just minor loss from the normal evaperation's and suck... my swiftech mirco res the water goes down maybe 1mm every few months

also the key is not to overtighten... if you do you can buckle the o-rings and make a slow(or not slow) leak... same with the worms

to be honest. as long as you tighten them up. the orings make a great seal.

I think worrying about tubing leaking is outrageous. Well unless you have half a mind and dont use any sort of clamp / nylon tie / etc.

I felt the same way watercooling my system. its been up and running 3 days. Looks friggin awesome and no leaks ;) wasnt expecting any either :p

Reassurance?

1 Year, no leaks, no re-fills, only top offs of liquid once in a while because my loop is extremely hard to bleed, and still has air in it today somewhere. It is quiet also, no sloshing from the air.

DSCF0234.jpg

I'm blase about leaks now, after saturating my 8800, sound card, and an NIC card from a leak at the cpu block and having absolutely nothing bad happen. Splash of alcohol, some blow dryer action, all good as new. Lucky I followed Calvin's golden rule #8 - Leak test with power off. :D

You have nothing to worry about....I don't even have clamps on my Apogee GT block because my tubes are so thick, clamps won't even fit (the ones I have) ....guess I have a half a brain LOL.

I don't move my computer around though so it doesnt pose a problem.

Back