Leaked NVIDIA Roadmap Shows GT206 & GT212

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew over at the Chinese tech-site Expreview have the lowdown on this leaked slide showing NVIDIA’s Q3 2008 – Q1 2009 roadmap. The image shows two enthusiast class products, a 55nm GT206 and a 45nm GT212 part, slated for the end of 2008 and early 2009 respectively.

neat.

But how do your numerically go from GTX280 -> GT212? or GTX260 -> GT206?

was GTX281 not worthy enough?

neat.

I am guessing GTX2xx is for actual Video Cards, and GT2xx is for the GPU, as in the old g80.

the GTX 260 / 280 are part of the GT200 chip family, the GT206 is the next step, the cards will be called something else

neat.

Yeah, the numbers don't make sense to me either.

I am guessing GTX2xx is for actual Video Cards, and GT2xx is for the GPU, as in the old g80.

I hope so, b/c that would definitely confuse people at WorstBuy.

I'm thinking they need to be GTX 290 & GTX 270 from the respective performance and changes. Looks like just a die shrink with a little increased performance ?

I'm thinking they need to be GTX 290 & GTX 270 from the respective performance and changes. Looks like just a die shrink with a little increased performance ?

The "GT" numbers are CODE NUMBERS of the GPUs themselves, not video card marketing part numbers.

Given the last die shrink on the "same" architecture, I would GUESS GTX 360 and GTX 380 would be logical. But I honestly do not know.

i don't care how they number the cards as long as the gtx206 and gtx212 are not rebranded 8800gt/9800gt's or 8800gs/9600gs0's

Yeah,in other words,the same old thing.:rolleyes:

GT200(65NM)-->GT200B(55NM)-->GT206(55NM)-->GT212(45NM)
(260/260+/280)-->(280+)-------------> GTX290???-->GTX300???

now we just need to find out how many SP's/TMU/ROPS,GDDR5 & bus width,clock speed ????

i would not doubt that the 45nm GPU could be the first NV card to utilize reference speed of 800mghz core...

I feel a bit better about all of this now for one reason. There were some (albeit poorly backed) rumblings about upcoming NVIDIA releases, and I was starting to think I might miss out on a chance to Step Up to one of the new ones by just a couple days. Now it seems I will miss it by months so its really no big deal.

Crapples, so the die shrink of the GTX280 isn't going to be out until Q1'09? I was hopping to upgrade this fall.

I wonder what will be the power consumption and heat output of the 45NM part.
I want to buy GTX280 with Nehalem in upcoming months, but the heat output of the GTX280 really makes me to think twice.

so more rehashing with smaller dies eh? no completely new products coming?

Huh? this is a typical refresh cycle for Nvidia, this isn't them remaking the 8800GTX into a 9800GTX, its a simple die shrink and refreshing their stock out on the market with a better chance to re-advertise their product.

Both companies do this with all their products, I'm suprised we haven't heard rumors of ATI doing anything soon either.

Hey! Let's complain that there isn't anything new eight weeks after the latest generation has arrived! Because, as we all know, AMD and nvidia can conjure new generations of video cards instantly and ex nihilo via pixie dust and sheer willpower.

Hey! Let's complain that there isn't anything new eight weeks after the latest generation has arrived! Because, as we all know, AMD and nvidia can conjure new generations of video cards instantly and ex nihilo via pixie dust and sheer willpower.

Hey! Lets try and act witty and not read the first post.

they are scheduled to be released late 08, early 09.

And the point being made, was that 2-3 months ago, the latest generation of cards was released, so end of 2008 or early 2009 for new cards, fits right in NVIDIA's usual 6-7 month release cycle.

Don't really understand what is there to complain about.

GT200(65NM)-->GT200B(55NM)-->GT206(55NM)-->GT212(45NM)
(260/260+/280)-->(280+)-------------> GTX290???-->GTX300???

now we just need to find out how many SP's/TMU/ROPS,GDDR5 & bus width,clock speed ????

that doesnt always help.. i remember hearing radeon hd 2900 had a 512-bit memory... and i was like wow... then it comes out and it's like 512 bits of rubbish...

i want to know... does it kick ass? is it at a worthwhile price? and how hot does the bastard get???

And the point being made, was that 2-3 months ago, the latest generation of cards was released, so end of 2008 or early 2009 for new cards, fits right in NVIDIA's usual 6-7 month release cycle.

Don't really understand what is there to complain about.

I was referring to statements like these. . .

Yeah,in other words,the same old thing. :rolleyes:

so more rehashing with smaller dies eh? no completely new products coming?

Clearly, there are some who are not satisfied with a "die shrink" or "more of the same" and expect that nvidia/AMD can just conjure better technology out of thin air. It's not just desired, it's expected and there is anger and/or resentment (at least mockery) if it isn't delivered according to their arbitrary timetables. Not sure how anyone can refer to a "usual 6-7 month release cycle" for all-new generations. That hasn't been the case for over two years. Obviously, both nvidia and AMD have reached "the wall" where it isn't quite so easy any more to squeeze more speed out of existing technology and silicon. Hence AMD's switching to multi-gpu solutions and nvidia's long delay in replacing its G80 architecture.

Hurin;1033019624Clearly said:
expect[/i] that nvidia/AMD can just conjure better technology out of thin air.

Come on, it's easy. Didn't you know that they have the next 10 graphics cards locked away in a room ready to release them when ever they feel pressured. Just the same way all the automakers have had the 1,000 mpg/ 1,000 HP engine hidden away because they're in bed with the oil firms? What are they teaching people in schools these days? :rolleyes:

If this is like g80 --> g92, we will see some changes in the number of shaders, SPs, and bus width. The architectures are becoming more and more modular, with a focus on maintaining scalability and parallelism as the number of modules changes.

Also, 45nm (40nm?) process is exciting - both in terms of thermally limited clock [H]eadroom and perhaps yields. My gut tells me that the greater memory bandwidth of G200 (compared to G92) is leaving something on the table, which higher core and shader clocks could exploit at the 19x12 resolutions and down ...and maybe even some extra bang for the buck at 25x16. So hopefully they don't reduce the number of memory controller channels if they do reshuffle the number of modules.

Why don't they just start using real names ? Like, NVidia's John vs ATI's Suzy. Then when you put in two PCX slots one John and one Suzy, John and Suzy may get together and have sex inside your carefully arranged pc case and mess with your cable management.

Not to mention the excessive heat that certain act would cause. So much for liquid cooling...

(I think I need to get over my ex, or stop reading the forums, or both or none of the two)

Back