Recommend me a good power supply; here's what I'm looking for:

-Standard sized
-Modular (optional)
-Black (optional)
-PCI-E x2
-24-Pin Power
-4/8-Pin Power
-600W+?

My system consists of an AMD 3800+, 4GB RAM, 2x 7800GTX, Wireless NIC, SB X-fi, 2x 300GB HDD and a DVD+-RW

Thanks!

Enermax Noisetaker 600w. Got one myself. Superb quality and actually quiet and stays pretty quiet under heavy load. Utterly blows away the supposedly 'quiet' antec trueblue 480w I used to have.

Expensive though, but you get what you pay for with power supplies. Infact, I don't think there's any other PC component where you so directly get what you pay for than PSU's.

Avoid thermaltake psu's. They're too cheap to be true and are noisy. Any cheap psu will be noisy.

spine said:
Enermax Noisetaker 600w. Got one myself. Superb quality and actually quiet and stays pretty quiet under heavy load. Utterly blows away the supposedly 'quiet' antec trueblue 480w I used to have.

Expensive though, but you get what you pay for with power supplies. Infact, I don't think there's any other PC component where you so directly get what you pay for than PSU's.

Avoid thermaltake psu's. They're too cheap to be true and are noisy. Any cheap psu will be noisy.

Hmm, $140.00 isn't that bad.

My price range is no more than $220.00. Also, silence is a big factor in my decision making. I forgot to include that in my list of requirements...

spine said:
Enermax Noisetaker 600w.

Not standard sized and not modular.

You're one of those guys that just reads the subject, right? ;)

OP: About five posts down you'll find this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1093467

You can add Corsair and Enermax Liberty to that list if you want to spend a little more money.

Browse the forum, even from the last 24 hours, and you'll find plenty of learnin'

jonnyGURU said:
Not standard sized and not modular.

You're one of those guys that just reads the subject, right? ;)

OP: About five posts down you'll find this: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1093467

You can add Corsair and Enermax Liberty to that list if you want to spend a little more money.

Browse the forum, even from the last 24 hours, and you'll find plenty of learnin'

Hey, I was just visiting your WEB site...

I've been reading, but there are a lot of choices. See, I have this case (in black):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112057

While it’s a very schexy case, it’s not the most functional case for power supplies.

Currently, I have an Enermax Liberty 500W power supply. It works fine with a single 7800GTX but exhibits problems when I install the second card. Honestly, I’m wondering just how high I need to go. Should I be OK if I replaced the Liberty with a 620W version? Or, should I step up into the 700W category?

Well if you have a budget of no more than $220 and want the best you can get for your money, you might want to look at the new PC Power & Cooling 750 watt Silencer.

It retails for $199.99 and comes in black or copper colors. Obviously it's dead silent. ;)

It doesn't come modular although you can find resellers who will make it modular for an extra fee.

It will probably last you for at least a few years. :D

I personally prefer my PSUs non modular because of the resistance factor. I've been routing cables for 20 some odd years and am pretty damn good at it. :)

Back