LED + IPS?

clee

n00b
I've been looking and I can't seem to find anything 23" or 24", IPS, LED-backlit. Am I crazy, or do they just not exist? (Aside from Apple's monster of a display - I really would prefer DVI or HDMI to mini-displayport.)

It's kinda rare as of yet. NEC is bringing out a line of displays with it, their PA line. The 24" model has launched and there's info on the site though I dunno if it is for sale and they have others coming out later.

The PA series is CCFL.

There is a distinction between edge lit White-LED which doesn't appear to offer any significant advantage compared to CCFL, and full-field RGB-LED backlight units. Full-field RGB-LED offer the widest gamut (too wide for current colorimeters) and excellent uniformity, based on the PRAD review of the W2420R. You won't really find RGB-LED in anything else apart from some of the most expensive monitors.

I believe the Asus M series "Designo" are LED backlit. They're still TN panels, I'm pretty sure, but they are supposedly "Good" for the price. I'm looking for something similar to you, and I've not found it yet. The Dell 3008 I assume is still CCFL, as is the "U" 27" high res IPS. There's a high-res HP that's IPS, but I'm not sure if it is LED or not.

I'd be interested in seeing some of those RGB-LED models if you know any?

Any particular reason you want LED backlighting?
My MacBook has LED backlighting, and in comparison to my CCFL-backlit LG panel, it's far superior. Much more even, and using it for hours at a time doesn't cause eyestrain headaches. At this point I'm beginning to think that LED backlighting might be more important to me than IPS.

However, I don't need a secondary monitor for the MacBook, I need a display for my PC (which doesn't have DisplayPort, mini or otherwise.) Which is why I'm not really considering the Apple 24" display. I guess I might have to reconsider that though.

There are good CCFL-lit monitors, and there are bad LED-lit displays and the other way around. Or rather, there are non-horrible LED-lit displays , since the good ones aren't available with anything but CCFL so far (not counting $2000+ full arrays). It doesn't make image quality a property of LED backlighting though (or lack thereof). If you're comparing a Mackbook with a 1-2 generations old LG TN panel, than I'm not very suprised it's better, because those really weren't very good. Mac's never come with low end panels either.

Lenovo X300 is LED backlit, and it has truly horrible display, does that mean LED is bad for displays?

Last edited:
There are good CCFL-lit monitors, and there are bad LED-lit displays and the other way around. Or rather, there are non-horrible LED-lit displays , since the good ones aren't available with anything but CCFL so far (not counting $2000+ full arrays). It doesn't make image quality a property of LED backlighting though (or lack thereof). If you're comparing a Mackbook with a 1-2 generations old LG TN panel, than I'm not very suprised it's better, because those really weren't very good. Mac's never come with low end panels either.

Lenovo X300 is LED backlit, and it has truly horrible display, does that mean LED is bad for displays?
Well, my MacBook is one of the first-generation unibodies, so even though it's LED-backlit, it's still a TN panel, and it compares very favorably with the LG (which is a W2452T, a CCFL-backlit TN panel).

I'm pretty sure I'm not just imagining the headaches, and the general impression I've gotten is that CCFL backlighting is a contributor to that. Anyway, I'm not here to debate the merits of LED vs CCFL, I was just curious if I was missing some obvious candidate for the specs I was looking for.

My MacBook has LED backlighting, and in comparison to my CCFL-backlit LG panel, it's far superior. Much more even, and using it for hours at a time doesn't cause eyestrain headaches. At this point I'm beginning to think that LED backlighting might be more important to me than IPS.

I'm selling a rock that repels tigers. Don't think it works? Well, you don't see any tigers around, do you?
(credit: Simpsons)

In case you didn't figure it out, I'm just adding to the point that others already have that LED back-lighting isn't the feature you're looking for. (unless energy consumption is your primary concern.)

...Apple's monster...

...My MacBook has...

...MacBook, I need...

...considering the Apple 24"...

...Well, my MacBook...

:eek:

...sure I'm not just imagining...

must... resist...

There's also the LG 2420R, but it's in the same league price wise as the HP 2480.
Prad recently published a review of the LG.

HMM I'm using an LED G2410 and I can easily say this gives me equal or more eyestrain then my 3007wfp-hc :p which is CCFL, the only benefit edge lit LEDs offer is power savings

the reason apple looks good is because it's glossy and an SIPS panel, has nothing to do with the LED

the only benefit edge lit LEDs offer is power savings
There's some other enviromental factors as well. Like, there's mercury in CCFLs, but not in LEDs, so they are cleaner and might end up dodging some recycling taxes and stuff, (depending on where you live ofc.)

Maybe it is the layer above the LCD and not the one behind it that is bothering you? A lot of LED LCD displays are glossy, while most IPS displays have a grainy coating on them. I'm not too bothered by the grainy coating, but a lot of people are.

The laptop I use has glossy coating, so everything looks cleaner, but I can't stand the viewing angles.

If I'm not mistaken the NEC EA231WMi has both an IPS panel and LED backlighting. It is also 23 inches. I don't remember what inputs were on it though.

You are mistaken sir , CCFL in that one.

Bah, you're correct. I had to go back and look, and check out their product brochure you get, while viewing the EA231WMi. It lists features but it's more for the entire EA line, so it says LED backlighting, but then at the end, in parentheses it says "(EA222WMe)."

Oh well...

Back