LED LCD vs OLED

adamj023

Limp Gawd
I hear that newer LED LCD displays will increase contrast ratio and could be hitting the quality of OLED.

I assume these panels on the LED LCD TV's are IPS grade panels?

The existing monitors out so far do not meet my needs at this point in time unless new models come out.

Anyone know what will be in store for the next generation of monitors after the existing eIPS and S-IPS and H-IPS grade monitors that are out now and if any will have LED with auto dimming and high HZ Frequency ranges and superior color gamut and contrast ratios and image quality over what there is now?

So far all I see is the existing grade stuff for IPS, such as eIPS with regular backlighting to H-IPS, and it seems like the ones with the better polarizers and the like are being phased out.

HP DreamColor LP2480zx has 30 bit and LED backlight with the HIPS panel, but is the most expensive of the lot and is just way too pricey.

Apple LED Cinema Display 24-Inch MB382LL/A has LED + HIPS as well for cheaper.

With all the monitors I have seen and the rediculous prices for the top end stuff, still waiting for better and cheaper technologies to emerge. Still nothing of interest to date.

I wonder when the next generation of monitors will be due out. I keep waiting and haven't yet seen the one I really want.

I can't wait for Oled, but I did get an Acer S243HL LED LCD for 300 bucks. I LOVE IT!!

but I will drop it in a heart beat for a laser monitor or a true OLED...

I hear that newer LED LCD displays will increase contrast ratio and could be hitting the quality of OLED.

They're hitting the quality of CCFL LCDs, which is what you would expect because the LCD part of it produces the image the exact same way. LEDs do nothing but emit light, just like CCFLs.

Here's the Samsung XL2370, a LED LCD monitor.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-touchofcolor2_12.html#sect0

Response time:
xl2370-resp3d.png

Contrast:
xl2370-bright.png

Uniformity:
b7.jpg

Default gamma:
6g2.png

That monitor couldn't suck more even if it wanted to.

On the same subject i'd like to know if "Local Dimming" advertized for direct LED Lcd displays & TV's is good for PC monitor use (graphics) and if it is similar to CCFL's "auto dimming" which some companies use and is not defeatable to show darker blacks by dimming the backlights -Not good-.
In general:
will a direct LED lcd WITHOUT Local Dimming, provide better blacks than a CCFL lcd (all other parts being equal- same panel type etc)?

On the same subject i'd like to know if "Local Dimming" advertized for direct LED Lcd displays & TV's is good for PC monitor use (graphics) and if it is similar to CCFL's "auto dimming" which some companies use and is not defeatable to show darker blacks by dimming the backlights -Not good-.
In general:
will a direct LED lcd WITHOUT Local Dimming, provide better blacks than a CCFL lcd (all other parts being equal- same panel type etc)?
An LED display without local dimming usually will not provide better blacks than a CCFL display. They are in principle the same thing when you set them to equal brightness except that it may provide more or less backlight bleed depending on how well it is designed or assembled.

If each pixel in an LCD could have its own LED then that would lead to something comparable to an OLED(blacks at least). So then why not just use OLEDs in the first place?
Well, on mobile displays an LCD is better for outdoor viewing compared to an OLED.

Normal LED backlighting is all but indistinguishable from CCFL tubes. It has essentially the same visual quality.

Local dimming LEDs are the only thing that improves LCD real on screen contrast and this technology is rare, expensive and unlikely to hit the desktop because it has issues.

A big issue with local dimming is that there is usually only 1 LED block for every 1000+ pixels. That might not be totally noticable when watching a regular movie, but if you use it as a monitor and you were typing text on a black screen, there would be big gray blocks around each character... These Halos are usually referred to as blooming.

Last edited:
LCD with LED backlighting that can do local dimming is not an automatic homerun. Local dimming occurs in zone or sectors. My LG 47LH90 HDTV has local dimming, and if I recall properly it has 256 zones for local dimming. That bascially means each backlit zone controls the brightness of 8,100 pixels.

On a blackground, if even one pixel in a zone is supposed to display a color, then all other 8,099 pixels will be backlit. The result is that you will see a rectangular section of the screen who's black level is brighter than other parts of the black background. This white bloom effect can only be reduced by increasing the number of zones, however, this also increases costs as well.

Other LED backlit HDTVs (and monitors) uses edge backlighting which means the LEDs do not emit light directly behind the LCD panel. Edge lit HDTVs / monitors shoot light sideways to some type of amorphous material which then spreads the emitted light behind the LCD panel. These types of HDTVs / monitors do not have local dimming capablities and it has been reported that the backlight is not even distributed.

The positives of edge lit HDTVs and monitors are: 1) thinner, and 2) technically uses less power than traditional LED backlighting technology.

Does LED backlighting make images "pop"? No, not in my opinion unless it uses RGB LEDs which can adjust the primary colors to improve colors displayed on the screen; probably by adjusting the "purity of whites". This tech is generally expensive to implement.

It would be interesting to see an IPS panel backlight with RGB LEDs that can also do local dimming with at least 1,024 zones.

OLED is very hard to see in direct sunlight...on the other hand there are LCDs with outdoor bright backlights and special filters that are very visible (I know you could order them on many business laptops like Lenovo and Dell).

The advantages of LED LCD screens are not display quality, but rather lower power consumption, longer life, and ability to make them thinner/smaller.

Local dimming LED screens can be better than CFL backlights, but again it depends on the screen. Overall there are some very impressive LED TVs out there because they combine the technology with better panels as well (case and point being the Samsung LED TVs that really "pop"). But overall it is being flung around as a marketing term like 120/240hz which people do not really understand.

Why do i keep hearing this, im almost positive that the opposite is true?

Emissive displays like OLED do worse in sunlight. It's why plasma screens which are also emissive do worse than LCD when there is massive glare. LCD is different in that it can partially use the light from the sun to project an image like e-ink. Transflective LCD allows you to turn off the backlight when you're outside which acts like e-ink.

By sheer coincidence I was looking at news for where I live and found that someone bought a home and worked for a company which did huge LED displays who graduated from an excellent school. Sorta interesting considering the fact I was thinking about LED + OLED recently. As long as no gaudy LED displays wind up here on the outside of buildings.

One of the projects was the Reuters & Instinet at 3 Times Square. That narrow long LED Display over there.

With that being said: Ill wait for better display technologies to emerge as I am in no rush right now.

Last edited:
The advantages of LED LCD screens are not display quality, but rather lower power consumption, longer life, and ability to make them thinner/smaller.

Local dimming LED screens can be better than CFL backlights, but again it depends on the screen.

I agree but LED can also provide a wider color gamut than CCFL. Of course, pros and cons of a wider color gamut are debatable.

I wonder, does regular exposure to UV rays lower the life of the organic compound in OLEDs?

It's possible as UV rays tend to destabilize ('age') many organic substances, those of the human skin included :)

Back