LED mod on a thermal controlled antec psu

Kerri Ann

Limp Gawd
hi-

i was wiring a series of 4 LEDs into my psu, and i was planning on using the wires that power the fan. ( 3V each... 3+3+3+3=12V ) but then i started wondering... the fan is thermally controlled, so it slows down as the temp drops, and speeds up as the temp rises... does it supply the fan with less or more voltage to do this? if i wire the leds to it, will the LEDs dim and brighten with the temperature changes?

thanks in advance!

probably, they will run undervolted, i run a 14v light on my 12v molex and it is undervolted why don't u just plug it into the regular molex connector this way it will always be on full, just get an extension cable.

thanks.

i was going to run it to a molex, but i didn't want the wires to have to leave the psu enclosure. it would just look neater like that.

Kerri Ann said:
hi-

i was wiring a series of 4 LEDs into my psu, and i was planning on using the wires that power the fan. ( 3V each... 3+3+3+3=12V ) but then i started wondering... the fan is thermally controlled, so it slows down as the temp drops, and speeds up as the temp rises... does it supply the fan with less or more voltage to do this? if i wire the leds to it, will the LEDs dim and brighten with the temperature changes?

thanks in advance!
are you saying the 3v each represent the LED?

because you cannot add it up for 12v, i learned it the hard way

if you're adding up the power, add with the current rating... if you're hooking up 4 leds to a 12v power, i would say it has enough current to supply 4 tiny leds... so you have a device (4leds) that uses 3v and a power source of 12v... get a resistor that drops the 12v down to 3v... if you use the 5v supply, i know it works with a 100ohm resistor

good luck and happy modding

i think you are referring to a parallel setup of LEDs. i am wiring them in a series. the difference is this-

in a parallel setup, all of the LEDs will receive equal amount of Voltage, and they are all connected the same way to the same wire, which eventually ends in the power source. each + for each LED is connected to one wire, and each - is connected to the other wire.

in a series setup, it disperses the Voltage evenly between each LED, and the LEDs are connected in a chain sorta, start with the + end of the power source, then connect the + end of a LED. connect the other - end of that same LED to the + side of the next LED, and so on.

hard to explain- this site does it much better than me! http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html

Kerri Ann said:
i think you are referring to a parallel setup of LEDs. i am wiring them in a series. the difference is this-

in a parallel setup, all of the LEDs will receive equal amount of Voltage, and they are all connected the same way to the same wire, which eventually ends in the power source. each + for each LED is connected to one wire, and each - is connected to the other wire.

in a series setup, it disperses the Voltage evenly between each LED, and the LEDs are connected in a chain sorta, start with the + end of the power source, then connect the + end of a LED. connect the other - end of that same LED to the + side of the next LED, and so on.

hard to explain- this site does it much better than me! http://www.theledlight.com/ledcircuits.html
wow, i didnt know thats how series work... i always work it in parallel... however, i believe, i think it was using series, one time i had two leds off a 5v supply on a keyboard mod and it was in series i believe, and it just burned out... shouldnt it have been 2.5v each instead of 5v each?... i dont remember if i had accidentally wired it in parallel but it seems like what i did altho i m pretty sure i did it in series (btw, it killed the LEDs)... also, wiring it in series, wouldnt that burn out the first LED since the latter one LEDs (lets say 49, not including the first one that would make it 50), wouldnt the 49 draw so much more power that the power flowing thru the first LED would like, burn it out or something?

nice find, it cleared up my misunderstanding of the difference between parallel and series, todayy i learned something new, thanks

Back