LED VS LCD for gaming ?

GhostRidah

n00b
Hello guys,

I wanted to know if LED is much better for LCD due to the ratio contrast, colors are more bright and eyes seems to be less tired than LCD ( if i'm correct ... ) ?

Will I have a major difference between those 2 monitors?
- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4642593&Sku=L49-2243 CA ( no DVI cable include ; just VGA )

- http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6052506&sku=V18-2238 (DVI and VGA are include)

Tell me which one should I take even if the price isn't similar ... but will I have a good difference between those 2 for gaming ?

Both screens are LCD. LED is just a marketing term, to fool people into thinking they're buying OLED. Any "LED" screen you see, will just use LEDs for the backlight rather than CCFL. It'll give a bit lower power usage..

So honestly ? I should take the LG cause it's lower in price and I won't see any major difference.

Am I correct?

Electricity isn't very expensive in Quebec, lower than any countries around the world so that's why I dont really care about this point.

Do you need the speakers built in? If not get the LG. I sit/stand in front of 3 of them 8 -10 hours a day.

Bonne Chance

Are you crazy? get the LED, it looks far better, and brighter color's, the cantrast ratio is incredible. I have a samsung LED in my room and i have a LCD sharp hdtv in my room, and i can tell you my SAMSUNG led LOOK'S FAR FAR BETTER THAN MY lcd.

Are you crazy? get the LED, it looks far better, and brighter color's, the cantrast ratio is incredible. I have a samsung LED in my room and i have a LCD sharp hdtv in my room, and i can tell you my SAMSUNG led LOOK'S FAR FAR BETTER THAN MY lcd.

Clearly, we have an expert here. :rolleyes:

Take a look at this little article.

LED backlighting generally gives a wider color gamut, a better contrast ratio and lower power consumption but it's definitely not a guarantee of image quality by itself. Edge lit LEDs are prone to severe backlight bleeding, for instance.

Clueless person of the week award winner :rolleyes:

well people keep saying led is marketing but doesn't it lower power consumption and reduce heat from the monitor?

well people keep saying led is marketing but doesn't it lower power consumption and reduce heat from the monitor?
It does, it's just that it's marketed in a way that your average person would believe it improves "contrast", "clarity" and whatnot. In reality you can't improve contrast by using a different backlight unless you resort to tricks like local dimming which doesn't work on computer monitors. LED allows for high measured dynamic contrast which is only useful for laughable CR claims in the spec sheet.

But, they do, if nothing else reduce heat output vs ccfl. The power draw difference is minimal at best. Stop by a B&M store and test drive a few the LED based asus monitors I saw looked washed out, the acers looked fuzzy (agressive AG... I think) ended up going with a dell. But like I said, you really should window shop them. Buying one on what I or anyone else says is just silly, as this is compleatly subjective. You might want glossy, you might want AG.... every one is different.

Id go the led because of heat. My 3008wfp dumps off heat, and my old 46" tv did as well. My new 55" led tv is nice and cool and doesnt heat my room up like the 46" did. I think my 3008wfp actually uses more power than the tv now (the 3008wfp uses like 150w or something crazy like that).

The only real difference is power consumption and even that is over-rated. If you look same size panels tested at the same brightness, the power consumption usually ends up being very much the same.

A big difference was a lot of the the old power consuming CCFL panels had monster backlights that went up 500 nits brightness and the newer LED backlights only go to 250 nits brightness and panels are rated at max power consumption, so it creatly exaggerates the difference.

Set them both to 140 nits and the difference would be marginal.

A couple things:

1. The most likely thing to fail on a monitor is the CCFL and inverter (which an LED monitor does not have)
2. The CCFL will dim and fade in a few years - much sooner than the LED backlighting
3. The heat might not be a big deal for 1 screen, but if you have several systems in a room or a multi monitor setup and an already hot gaming PC, it can make a difference

The biggest difference between CCFL and LED backlights, and the only one that actually matters, is the cost to the manufacturer. CCFL backlights are the most expensive part of a CCFL monitor, and LED backlights can be a lot cheaper.

Edge lit LEDs are prone to severe backlight bleeding, for instance.

I would have to agree with this, backlight bleed is the worst aspect of my PX2370 but otherwise it does has very good image quality / color accuracy.

I'm starting to consider moving to a new monitor soon as well

I'm using a 24" Dell 2405, I've had it for probably 6 years or so. So I'm assuming the backlight has lost some of it's original luster.

Would love to go LED - however I've seen some awesome 27" Samsung LCD computer monitors out there for a pretty cheap price.

typical LED-LCD is less sRGB than typical CCFL-LCD. If it is bad or good think depends entirely on application of such monitor and/or user preferences. Personally I like LEDs more and so do many people.

LEDs are also newer, more energy efficient, more durable, etc so it we don't want cheap sRGB monitor it's back-light of choice :)

I have a 27" ips LED backlit flanked by two 19" led backlit TNs currently.. and my pva tv is led edgelit. Out of the box they were extremely bright before I tweaked them down some.
... I like them all. One plus of LED is they turn on almost instantly.. no warm-up time. Other than that, the overall brightness does seem to pop (whites look really good too) vs my other ccfl TN's, but that could just be panel lack of quality on the other's and that they are TNs (though my newer 19" LED TN's seem to "pop" too). Its probably a bit subjective - a good, new ccfl backlit can be tweaked just as good - especially ips or pva. The LED ones might have a higher overal brightness curve, without being a higher max brightness if you get my meaning (just guessing). Over several years ccfl has the potential for dimming which would make the colors more dull.. but that's not something people often take into consideration when buying, and you could probably turn up the brightness to alleviate the issue for the most part.if not all .
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/apple27inchcinemadisplay_092610174635/24902.png

As I've said before, colorspace testing is usually done in dark rooms with the testing device right up against the panel. I doubt that the highest ratings are percieved as such to the human eye at viewing distance, with the panel flooded with light. That is one reason the high end nec's come with a three sided monitor hood - to reduce image degredation caused by light pollution.

acd-color.png

Colors on LED backlit screens can be quite good (especially to the human eye real-world as mentioned above). Both screens you are looking at are TN however - you really aren't going to be getting high color out of them anyway so I wouldn't put that into consideration in CCFL vs LED backlight choice... As far as contrast goes, both TN and IPS have pale blacks/detail in blacks compared to PVA screens that many TV's use so you aren't going to get much black out of either of those either.. Dynamic contrast settings are worthless and annoying for gaming and regular computer use too imo. Backlight bleeding is exacerbated by insanely bright out-of-box settings on most monitors .. basically so bright that they flare out of the edges of the screen.. other than some occasional manufacturing defects, if it is otherwise noticeable out of the box it can usually be toned down considerably by tweaking your settings. Both monitors are probably fine affordable gaming TNs.. I'd definitely read a bunch of reviews on both before buying however.. I always research the hell out of anything before I buy... but that's something you can dig up on your own. ;)
.. The only other thing I'd suggest is looking at each in a store if you have a chance to before you buy them.. just to get a rough idea of the build quality - stand quality, bezels, etc.. and screen coating, osd controls, etc.

Last edited:
Clearly, we have an expert here. :rolleyes:

Take a look at this little article.

LED backlighting generally gives a wider color gamut, a better contrast ratio and lower power consumption but it's definitely not a guarantee of image quality by itself. Edge lit LEDs are prone to severe backlight bleeding, for instance.
I agree that he's wrong, and I have nothing against you or anything, but what a poor article - quite honestly. :D Only touching the subject a little bit, and clearly favoring LEDs.

CCFLs with an MTBF of 20,000 hrs are of very small diameters only found in laptops. In TVs or desktop monitors, CCFLs with larger diameters are used with a lower rate of mercury depletion resulting in MTBFs of 50,000 hrs+.
Lifetimes of LEDs, and especially white LEDs is still not fully determined. What might happen with these as they age, is that they drift towards either blue or yellow rather than losing their brightness. Actually the LM240WU8 found in the U2412 only promises a LED lifetime of at least 30,000 hrs - so that's how "highly" LG thinks of their LEDs.

The contrast ratio of displays has little to do with the backlight type. If the white point is wrong/bad panel blocking must be applied in order to correct for this defect. This raises black level, decreases white level and thus decreases contrast. Subpar and thus cheap LEDs and CCFLs exist for those who want to sacrifice contrast with a lower priced monitor.

elvn said:
As far as contrast goes, both TN and IPS have pale blacks/detail in blacks compared to PVA screens that many TV's use so you aren't going to get much black out of either of those either
The amount of details has nothing to do with the black level - RGB values are added to the basic native black level, resulting in some gamma factor instability at low luminances. It's often seen that PVA based monitors/TVs in particular come with a lower factory defined gamma for lower luminances that crushes blacks in order to give an impression of a much deeper black levels. Btw. your 27" and 19"s are edge-lit too. :D

Last edited:
Edge-LED's do nothing to increase contrast ratios.

yeah I know they aren't zone lit LED but the larger tv panel has more wiggle room for flashlighting / bleed I think so I specified it there. I don't see any on the desktop monitors.
....I do see some LCD panels that have inky blacks but no detail so I know what you mean even some of the cheaper TV's.. but the good pva tv's I've seen have better detail in blacks when the black is dark than good ips and tn by far while maintaining a more normal brightness and contrast.

I have an LED and two LCD monitors and honestly the more ACCURATE colors come from the LCD where the brighter picture is the LED. for color accuracy go lcd. at least in my opinion

.. I think the LED's might have a brighter curve (not a brighter max brightness).. that is, they are very bright and you have to turn them down a lot. A good ccfl can be very bright too. I have doubts any comparable budget~TN monitor models with ccfl and led backlit alternatives will have a big difference in color once tweaked/calibrated since TN colors are poor already.
Non rgb LED backlit screens do have slightly less color technically. So there are higher rated (than white LED) ccfl high end ips, but that is usually tested right up against the screen in a dark room so I take the more extreme ratings with a grain of salt personally. The higher end led backlit ips screens also do very well (83% by hardware testing method). I doubt you'd notice a difference in colors in real world lighting (especially if the panel is flooded with light) with your eyeballs unless you were holding color swatches up to the screen. Perhaps if you were using a hood on the monitor and using special room lighting/bulbs(bulb light frequency) and room lighting design/layout and wall color the more extreme color ratings panels would actually start to hit the most extreme numbers to your eyes.. Then there is the over-aggressive AG coating frost/grain/haze issue thrown in on most of the higher end ips panels currently which compromises things including overall clarity and lushness of color to the human eye for those that can't help noticing it. So anyway, grain of salt applies in my opinion the way things currently stand.
... Since the op was outlining a few budget ~ $150 TN gaming panels I really wouldn't sweat the choice between LCD and ccfl personally. I'd prob choose LED though with no price difference but thats just me.

Last edited:
Back