Left 4 Dead and CPU usage.

Vycka

Weaksauce
My E6600 is clocked at 3.3Ghz and the usage is being reported as 100% during gameplay, and indeed I can feel some slow downs at times. I am playing at 1280x1024. Is this normal? Is that game really such a huge CPU hog? Your experiences?

I have an E6600 at 3.3ghz also and I played the game maxed out at 1680 by 1050 no problem at all. What video card do you have? I have a highly clocked 8800 gts 320mb.

My e3110 Xeon (e8400) core 2 @ 3ghz is 100% both cores while playing it. I get around 85FPS w/max details @ 1440x900 with an 8800GTS 512. In SLI I get only around 80 so I use the single gpu setting for it. And yes, I do gain a lot of FPS in other games using SLI.

1680x1050 vsync, 2xAA 16xAF, shaders very high, everything else on high except effects on medium. If I turn effects to "high" it would shutter and freeze for about 5 seconds every 3 minutes or so.

Try putting effects on medium..

I've seen CPU usage in the 70's on my quad. I guess we can add this to the short list of Quad Core optomized games.

I used Everest to log my CPU usage, peak was 88% on my [email protected]
Not a spike either, I'd estimate lengthy 70-80% usage over long periods.

No slow downs 80-200fps, even during horde rushes, according to netgraph, 8800GT on 1280x1024, 4xAA, 2xAF, all high everything else.

I can play this game on my 1.7 pentium laptop with an AMD mobility X300 gfx..

my desktop has a 1.8ghz E2160 dual core with onboard 610i gfx and cannot play the game haha

Since we're here..my system likes to freeze for 3-5 seconds every so often playing this game. Once its unfroze, it runs flawless, anyone else ran into this? Not a big deal as long as it doesn't happen during a big fight lol.

Since we're here..my system likes to freeze for 3-5 seconds every so often playing this game. Once its unfroze, it runs flawless, anyone else ran into this? Not a big deal as long as it doesn't happen during a big fight lol.

Mine likes to do this.

Running an Athlon BE-2400 2.3GHz / 1GB RAM / Nvidia 8500GT / 80GB Seagate SATA

1GB of ram is not nearly enough for a gaming computer. Heck, 2GB isn't enough for completely smooth gameplay in many cases.

My E6600 is clocked at 3.3Ghz and the usage is being reported as 100% during gameplay, and indeed I can feel some slow downs at times. I am playing at 1280x1024. Is this normal? Is that game really such a huge CPU hog? Your experiences?

Um, you want it to be 100%

Otherwise your cpu power is being not efficiently used

Um, you want it to be 100%

Otherwise your cpu power is being not efficiently used

It has nothing to do with efficiency,100% CPU use indicates a CPU bottleneck.
As the graphics card relies on the CPU to drive it, this will impact framerate and will cause the games processing to run slower than required also.

i'm running a pentium DC at 3.2ghz and the game is ridiculously smooth for me no matter how crazy the action gets....

heck, even a huge supreme commander game doesnt bog the CPU down... so i'm guessing you guys are just having a weird issue that will prolly be patched soon enough...

OP here.

Nice to see that I got so many replies. I am running the game at max settings with 8CSAA/16xAF. Those slow downs are very slight however; fraps don't even notice them. My vid card is a single 8800GTS 512 clocked at 735/1820/2010. I usually get around 80fps, my min being around 60.

I mean if quads are getting 80% usage... damn.

Yeah, Left 4 Dead is very CPU intensive, one of the few games that make good use of multiple cores.

brucedeluxe169 said:
i'm running a pentium DC at 3.2ghz and the game is ridiculously smooth for me no matter how crazy the action gets....

heck, even a huge supreme commander game doesnt bog the CPU down... so i'm guessing you guys are just having a weird issue that will prolly be patched soon enough...
I don't think it's an issue. The game pegs my CPU (X2 5000+) at 100% usage also, but it isn't choppy or anything. FPS is generally around 30-60.

This game made me glad that I got a Q6600. Only time I get a frame drop is the plane crash in Dead Air and that's only to like 55FPS with 8xMSAA/16xAF. Otherwise it's stuck at 75fps with triple buffered V Sync on. Butter smooth.

Back