Left 4 Dead Demo

MrFace

2[H]4U
I thought this was released now for non pre-order people? I have it installed in steam and the status is just "preloaded"

Am I wrong in my assumption that the demo is out?

The demo is locked now that L4D is out.

If I already have the demo, would some of the content be preloaded and how much would I still have to d/l if I buy the full game?

They say you can go to C://-----/----/steam/steamapps/common/leftfordeaddemo/ and click the exe and get into it, but I can't.

The demo is locked now that L4D is out.

If I already have the demo, would some of the content be preloaded and how much would I still have to d/l if I buy the full game?

Why on Earth would they lock the demo? I guess they don't want me to buy the game!

Why on Earth would they lock the demo? I guess they don't want me to buy the game!

Because the demo had unlimited replayability maybe? they didn't want to always have to upkeep the demo when they patch the full game. Or maybe people could have tried it when they released the demo last week?

Oh well, missed your chance :(. Have to wait for a free weekend now ;).

If you have an Xbox 360 and Live Gold, you can play it on that. I was playing on my 360 last night after the PC demo was locked out.

It's hilarious isn't it ? I just found that out myself, so yeah...they don't want me to buy their game either. I'm still cracking myself up at Valve's definition of "demo"...:p

Or maybe people could have tried it when they released the demo last week?

Ah, so a person needs to be waiting for them to release a demo and try it on the period they decide ? That's ridiculous at best.

A demo is something we download whenever we can, to try a game and see if it runs ok on our machine, so that we can decide if it's worth buying, regardless of when the full game is released. This Valve "demo" concept is retarded. But I can't say I'm surprised...

They say you can go to C://-----/----/steam/steamapps/common/leftfordeaddemo/ and click the exe and get into it, but I can't.

Make sure you have Steam up and running before you click on the .exe file. It wouldn't work for me unless I had it already open. Steam opening because I clicked on the game didn't work.

I wish theyd just have left the single player component available to push more copys of this game. Everyone I know thats tried it absolutely loves the game.

Lame they disabled the demo, at least the mp they could but not the sp so people that didnt had a chance yet can play.. not everyone wanna dump 50 bucks for a game they havent tryied..

I'm guessing there are ways to mod the demo into the real game, using game files that are now unencrypted and available and the console commands. Hence locking down the demo now.

Free weekend should happen soon. And that'll be even better than the demo, cus it will be the full version of the game, fully playable for a weekend. Plus I'm sure they will give some guest passes out to people who bought through Steam.

Yeah it was pretty lame when I found out that Valve did that.

They should've called it a beta, not a demo. They wanted to test things out, get opinions, added patches, had all(?) of the weapons there, it ended when the game came out...

I ordered my copy of L4D off amazon and it takes 2 days to ship so I wanted to get a quick demo game in during that time. I get a "Purchase now!"

You can still access the demo using the left4dead.exe file. Just have steam already open, and browse to the exe file in your steam directory. It should load right up, although you probably won't find many people online.

You first have to start a dedicated server! In that same directory where you found 'left4dead.exe' there is a file called 'srcds.exe'. With Steam running, double-click on 'srcds.exe', make Network equal to LAN (unless you want Network to be Internet), enter a password, and click Start Server button. Once the server is started you can then double-click on 'left4dead.exe' to get to the menu to play the demo. Have fun playing the demo!

Back