Lend me your mind Please!!!!!

KillerButler

Limp Gawd
I received my P4 2.8e Prescott and the motherboard I have is a MSI 865PE-Neo2(ms-6728-010). The bios has been updated and I installed the processor and nothing happens. I put my 2.4b back in and it fires right up. I reflashed the bios to the 2.1 which are the previous ones and still nothing. The current bios is the 2.3's.

Question is, after exhaustive research, I see that the board is suppose to run this chip. Are my research efforts wrong and I can't run this processor on this board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a new PSU(Antec 480 Watt) To update the problem, I reflashed the bios to the new 2.4 version now my 2.4b won't even post. I can't even reformat. I tried to reflash back to 2.1's and it just locks up.

An update, I was thinking to go lower on the bios version and I loaded the 2.0 Bios. Now the computer boots fine with processor, but won't do HT. And system runs slow. So I did a reload and even got slower.

have you tried emailing MSI about your problem? try calling them too. i dont know what else to tell you. apparently the mobo doesnt support the CPU too well or not at all. if you want to run that CPU then id suggest a different model or brand mobo if MSI tech support cant help. sry that i cant help much further than this. im still in my noob stages even after fixing numerous comps and building 4 of my own.

KillerButler said:
I received my P4 2.8e Prescott and the motherboard I have is a MSI 865PE-Neo2(ms-6728-010). The bios has been updated and I installed the processor and nothing happens. I put my 2.4b back in and it fires right up. I reflashed the bios to the 2.1 which are the previous ones and still nothing. The current bios is the 2.3's.

Question is, after exhaustive research, I see that the board is suppose to run this chip. Are my research efforts wrong and I can't run this processor on this board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only thing MSI did was "lock" the vcore voltage for a Prescott. Kyle posted a story about that some time ago on the front page.

But folks have run Prescotts on the board otherwise, so it should at least run @default 1.4v.

As the poster above suggested, a call to MSI perhaps.?

gl:)

I called MSI and they helped alot. They suggested that I reset the bios(duh, did it like 5 times). On the final time I reset it, I noticed a compacitor next to the agp slot had a slight bulge. I got my flashlight and okay I have a blown cap. That must be the problem. According to MSI the board is out of warrantee. I can't afford a new board(Single with children). So back to my XP2200 until I scrape the cash.

Back