Lenovo: Apple Losing Out in China

HardOCP News

[H] News
Liu Chuanzhi, head-honcho at Lenovo, had a few interesting things to say about Steve Jobs and Apple. Get this:

Speaking of Apple’s chief executive, Lenovo’s founder and chairman, told the Financial Times: “We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn’t care about China. If Apple were to spend the same effort on the Chinese consumer as we do, we would be in trouble.”

good - not to keen on Apple, let alone them permeating across the world

Well duhh, if Jobs cared about China, would chinese workers jump to the death?

We all know caring keeps people from dying.

I like it. I will now cherish my Lenovo remote (keyboard / trackball handheld thing) a little more.

haha Jobs ego/temper getting in the way of company growth? awesome!

makes sense.

china's citizens can't afford the absurdly overpriced macs.

name one thing you can do on a mac that you can't do on a lenovo?

makes sense.

china's citizens can't afford the absurdly overpriced macs.

name one thing you can do on a mac that you can't do on a lenovo?

Well, if you pirate OSX, build a hackintosh and dualboot: nothing.

Otherwise: iCrapware.

for any product, you go to where the money is i.e. America.......... where even the poorest of the poor can afford Apple products at the expense of eating ramen and potatoes, and not paying the bills, or dumping everything on a credit card.

chinese people are more practical than that. how many of them even have a credit card?

they buy Buick's with cold hard cash. true story.

If Jobs keeps this up he won't be at Apple anymore. Then maybe Apple can make some better business decisions and stop trying to create a monopoly that few people want.

If Jobs keeps this up he won't be at Apple anymore. Then maybe Apple can make some better business decisions and stop trying to create a monopoly that few people want.
I would say that the increasing mac computers market share and the utter dominance of ipods and iphones proves you wrong.

I would say that the increasing mac computers market share and the utter dominance of ipods and iphones proves you wrong.

u must be refering to north america market only, europe and asia seems dominated by creative and japanese companies

u must be refering to north america market only, europe and asia seems dominated by creative and japanese companies
I can't speak for Asia, but the European market has also witnessed significant increase in market share for all Apple products. The iPhone isn't dominant, but is being more and more widely adopted and the iPod family has almost half the market.

So no dominance of mobile devices outside of USA and Canada, but still a very strong presence and, more importantly, the numbers are rising (and this is the point I was trying to make).

Apple is only popular in the US. Note that i live in Asia and despite Apple continiously saying how many units they sold and how successful they are, i have yet to meet anyone with an iPhone.

Also note that in my country every person has had atleast two cellphones. My sister has four, i have two and i rarely even use them, my parents have two each. It's common to meet people on bus using one phone as a music player and answering phones on another. Even that guy rummaging through the garbage has atleast one. Touchphones are also pretty common as i've seen them fiddling with their phones on the bus. None of them an iPhone.

Considering the number of users, you can understand why Apple is desperate to show off bloated numbers to show they're getting into this market, but the truth is, nobody's buying. Their claim about millions, even if it's true, is just a drop in the bucket.

An iPhone is still considered here as a status symbol (You can get other high end devices with atleast the same features for 1/3rd the price), nothing more. Remember what i said about iPhones costing $1,000.00, outside the US. Your subsidized $200.00 iPhones are tending to make you blind to reality.

Apple is not only popular in the US. Note that i live in Europe and despite Apple continiously saying how many units they sold and how successful they are, about a third of my friends has an iPhone, more than half have an ipod and a few combine that with a macbook. In fact, when I walk around campus I see shitloads of Apple products. More than that, when I go to a mall, I see shitloads of Apple products..
(...)
Read my last post, I made my point there. Still, both our points are valid.

It is my experience that most Appledroids do not equate the product name with Mr. Jobs & have never even head of Wozniak.

its Lenovo.. their shit sucks in general..

they are targeting the inferior market, unlike like apple is doing the opposite..

It is my experience that most Appledroids do not equate the product name with Mr. Jobs & have never even head of Wozniak.

Any hipster Apple douche that hasn't heard of Wozniak should be taken to goth club and left to shit bats.

they are targeting the inferior market, unlike like apple is doing the opposite..

Are you sure about who the 'inferior' market is. I'd bet the Chinese are far less gullible. Most computer users in the US don't know shit about computers. That's why Americans buy 50 devices that they rarely use. Most people are buying smart phones to take pictures of their friends doing goofy shit, to tweet and/or to text. Hell, we buy e-readers and complain about glare(buy a friggin book. You only read one at a time). Most of us don't spend enough time away from work or home to justify a netbook, let alone an ipad to watch entire shows or movies. Don't know how that makes us the superior market. Just makes us inefficient and money wasters.

Really? Last I checked, Lenovo didn't have as many issues with their laptops as Apple has had. Even though Lenovo has a hell of a larger lineup. Last time I saw Lenovo with issues, was a battery recall like a year ago.

Apple? Overheating Macbooks, broken GPUs, yellowing screens, wifi issues, battery recalls, etc. Ya...sure seems like Lenovo's products are shit.

Apple is only popular in the US. Note that i live in Asia and despite Apple continiously saying how many units they sold and how successful they are, i have yet to meet anyone with an iPhone.

I live in S.Korea currently. I've seen probably about 3 ppl so far who own an iPhone. Not a single person with an iPod. Everytime I take a trip to Tokyo, it's much the same thing. Few with an iPhone. Think I saw roughly 10 ppl. Like 1 Japanese person and 9 tourists. iPod seems to be doing okay though. Definitely not a high percentage of users, but enough that they aren't a rarity.

Dude stop speaking out of your ass. Lenovo was the OEM for IBM and bought out their PC division years ago.

IBM was well known for their computer systems.

Also bet you didn't know that Thinkpads are designed by Lenovo's (formerly IBM) design center in Yamoto, Japan.

Lenovo itself is an amazing paradigm shift for the Chinese. It used to be that the Chinese were exploited by other countries for cheap labor, manufacturing and such.

Now you have the Chinese employing people of other nations to design and build their product.

Apart from the Aluminum unibody there's little that'll convince me to give up my T61p for a macbook pro. I have choice of a matte screen, drive bay that can be used as an extra battery slot, 2nd hard drive. Customized 1920 x 1200 screen on 15", etc. Thinkpad service in the US is second to none. Max 3 days to fix almost any laptop issue? (yup 1 day I ship, 1 day to fix, and 1 day to come back)

Apple's solution??? Talk to a bunch of geniuses at a bar somewhere.

Food for thought.

Now you have the Chinese employing people of other nations to design and build their product.

Mistake there. Should read, "Now you have the Chinese employing people of other nations to design and support their product."

Lenovo China builds their own systems (though my lappy was from Singapore) but they use IBM fiserve to service/support Thinkpads here in the US.

I don't personally know anyone with a Mac... I couldn't care less about phones and pods, they are gadgets. Besides, the whole phone market has always been screwed up in a million other ways.

The only people who seem to be increasing Mac's market share are the kind of people who need to ask for advice on the difference between a Computer A and Computer B when shopping online. Let's see how long that share lasts.

for any product, you go to where the money is i.e. America.......... where even the poorest of the poor can afford Apple products at the expense of eating ramen and potatoes, and not paying the bills, or dumping everything on a credit card.

chinese people are more practical than that. how many of them even have a credit card?

China's middle class is quickly growing as is the rest of the country. I'm sure Apple would like to be there.

China's middle class is quickly growing as is the rest of the country. I'm sure Apple would like to be there.

What exactly is middle class in China? Does that mean they make $10,000/year? That's a big chunk of income going to pay for an Apple product. I don't see it.

I don't personally know anyone with a Mac... I couldn't care less about phones and pods, they are gadgets. Besides, the whole phone market has always been screwed up in a million other ways.

The only people who seem to be increasing Mac's market share are the kind of people who need to ask for advice on the difference between a Computer A and Computer B when shopping online. Let's see how long that share lasts.
But you should. This recent increase in mac sales was driven by something.

Seriously? How many people do you know that have enough knowledge of the market so that they needn't ask for advice when buying new hardware? More than a fifth? You and I must live in very different worlds.

You are so ignorant, go back to plant your corn.

What exactly is middle class in China? Does that mean they make $10,000/year? That's a big chunk of income going to pay for an Apple product. I don't see it.

You are so out-dated, the LV bags that your mom and aunts have been dreaming for, the Chinese accounted for 39% for Louis Vuitton's total sales. Are you still wanking in your mom's basement? you should get out and see more.

@mafa
You know how much we actually earn? You earn more part time in a fast food store than we do in a full time job. Why do you think your jobs get outsourced to us? My sisters company just visited Chicago a couple of months ago to close down one of your companies since production was getting transferred to us.

@niconx
$10,000 a year? More like $6,000-$8,000.

It is around that number but they have a different cost of living there. I would assume Apple takes their salary into consideration and adjusts prices accordingly.

Please, I am far from an apple fan but that is straight up bull. Remember when he started having health issues and everyone was in an uproar that the Macru (Mac-Guru perhaps I coined a new term for him?) might not be helming Apple and their stock started dropping bad? Jobs = Mac to most users and thats with good reason he is the visonary behind that brand.

While I don't always agree with his vision I certainly hold respect for his accomplishments.

Uh, the Chinese do pay cold hard cash for their cars. They really don't like taking loans, unless they need to. Like, for a house. A car isn't needed, so they just save up money for it. Usually, hidden somewhere in their house.

LOLs. :D

Don't mock the farmers dude! Cornell University is known for keeping a strong agriculture program there for a reason. ;)

For all the folks that think China is all about cheap labor and foxxconnism then get some airline tickets and go to a few of the major cities there. Even the Zaibatsus in Japan are shakin' in their boots. There's more to the world than the news.

Back