Lenovo ThinkPad T440s - as programming laptop? i5-4210U

almalino

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I am a SW developer for Web applications based on Java, MySQL, PlayFramework, Liferay etc. I am looking for a full day development machine that is portable for commuting.

Lenovo ThinkPad T440s 14"/i5-4210U/8 Gt/256 Gt SSD/4G/Windows 7 Pro 64-bit/Full HD

Will this Lenovo be powerful and fast enough for my development needs?

I think the laptop itself is perfect but I am a bit worried about ULV 1.7 GHz processor. Is it too slow for web development when I have IDE and many Chrome windows and Dev tools opened at the same time?

Any opinions will be appreciated

T440s comes with low powered 1.7 GHz CPU.

I just tested opening many Chrome pages on my current laptop that is i7 2.8 GHz CPU.

I slowed CPU down to 1.7 GHz and opened many Chrome pages. Then I put it back to 2.8 GHz and repeated the test.

The difference is visible. On 1.7 GHz there are annoying delays in opening Chrome pages. In 2.8 GHz there are no delays.

I just tested opening many Chrome pages on my current laptop that is i7 2.8 GHz CPU.

I slowed CPU down to 1.7 GHz and opened many Chrome pages. Then I put it back to 2.8 GHz and repeated the test.

The difference is visible. On 1.7 GHz there are annoying delays in opening Chrome pages. In 2.8 GHz there are no delays.

That's not a totally accurate test as an i5 4210u can turbo up to 2.7ghz single core and 2.4ghz dual core

Yea no offensive but that test you conducted is pretty non-realistic for comparing the two. Low powered CPU's are highly optimized and especially for different revisions. A slower CPU doesn't always mean awful performance.

I think you should be able to work with that. I do a lot development on the go with my i7-4510U (@2.0 GHz) which is not that much different. Totally sufficient for .NET app development, some light SQL Server and the likes. When I look at the task manager, the i7 is actually running at 800 MHz most of the time anyway. You're not running a production environment on that thing, right...

Still, nothing beats a desktop-class i7 quad core.

I think you should be able to work with that. I do a lot development on the go with my i7-4510U (@2.0 GHz) which is not that much different. Totally sufficient for .NET app development, some light SQL Server and the likes. When I look at the task manager, the i7 is actually running at 800 MHz most of the time anyway. You're not running a production environment on that thing, right...

Still, nothing beats a desktop-class i7 quad core.

Company didn't approve Thinkpad and bought me gaming Lenovo y50-70 i7 Quad core. It is fast :) But big and battery life is so so.

If you don't plan to game with it try going into BIOS and set it to integrated graphics to see if it improves battery life.

Don't know if it was the CPU or device but once tried a Toshiba touch screen laptop with i5-4210u at Microsoft store and it was a dog with just simple browser scrolling so you're probably better off with the Y50.

In this price a lot of variety of laptops, just buy with the best hardware

Great laptop, but install Linux on it, unless you like spyware.

Back