Lenovo Y50 4K Laptop - Loving it! (Mini Review)

chanchan

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to share my first gaming laptop purchase! For the longest time I've been holding back on buying ultra-books/gaming laptops in general, as I don't see the point in dropping $1000 for a ultra book that's just powerful enough to do some daily computing and no gaming.

Finally, Lenovo comes up with the Y40/Y50 which is a gaming machine in a slim package! I did lots of research and decided for the money I was getting the most for my hard earned money!

Anyone looking to buy a gaming laptop should definitely give this a look! I'm quite picky and I was thoroughly impressed. If you're a video/photo/graphics professional I wouldn't get the UHD version I noticed this panel has bad yellow reproduction, it's too brown.

Specs
What I paid: $1400 CAD + taxes
Model: Lenovo Y50
Form Factor: 15.6" screen, but 0.9" thick, approximately 5.3 lbs
Screen: 3840x2560 IPS
CPU: i7-4710HQ - Haswell quad core 2.5-3.5 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: GTX 860M 2 GB (Maxwell with GDDR5)
HD: 256 GB SSD
Optical: External Slim DVD
Keyboard: Island style with red backlighting
Sound: JBL speakers with a sub-woofer

Noteworthy Drawbacks
-Lack of color accuracy with the UHD IPS panel, I am going to see if a color calibration system can fix/improve this
-Wish it was all aluminum (only the cover and bottom is, the palm rest is a soft touch plastic)
-Battery life could be a bit better
-Wish the screen bezel was thinner

Pics
IMG_20140914_165636-1.jpg

20140911_184538.jpg

20140911_190233.jpg

20140911_184853.jpg

I got the Y50 touch recently, tn panel 1080p excellent res, etc, I enjoy the Y50 myself, but am seriously on the fence thinking of refunding and waiting till October for the 960m graphics chips to be released.

Wasn't there some worry about the 4k panel only doing 40Hz? Do you know if this has been fixed?

Wasn't there some worry about the 4k panel only doing 40Hz? Do you know if this has been fixed?

The panel does 48 Hz actually, and I believe it's an Intel hardware limitation. Because the video output is handled by the IGP I don't believe it has enough bandwidth to output 4K@60 Hz.

Honestly, I've played a few games and watched some videos of FPS @ 48 Hz and it's completely acceptable. So far I've only been playing Diablo 3 and League of Legends, I have no problem with v-sync enabled.

Back