Lens Fire: Entire Kepler line-up revealed? Price/specs/release

i have no idea if this leak is complete BS of not, I was simply trying to make a logical case for the pricing. IF and again I say IF this leak is correct in terms of performance the pricing makes complete sense. I really don't see the point in debating the truth of the leak other than for the sake of debate. We'll know probably by this time next month just how accurate it certainly by April.

Personally I'd love to see this pan out. I have no problem with $650 for the 680 if it's up to 45% faster than the 7970 and even if it's just 20% faster than the 7970 on average, that's right in line with the 7970's performance to price ratio and I since I have no problem with the 7970s pricing I wouldn't with the 680 assuming that that it's 20% on average with 45% faster being the upper bound.

I would like the release date to be true. There are a lot of "WTF" things on that chart, for instance the GTX 690 having less memory than the GTX 680, and the shader clocks are supposed to be equal to the raster clocks.

Hopefully the release date is correct for GK104 though

Considering no one here has seen any Kepler card that's a bold claim.

That's a 40%+ OC on the 7970. I think that can compete with any Kelper single gpu card they release.
A 8000 series with that performance with additional overclocking would be a great counter by AMD.

That's a 40%+ OC on the 7970. I think that can compete with any Kelper single gpu card they release.
A 8000 series with that performance with additional overclocking would be a great counter by AMD.

The performance difference between a single 7970 clocked at 925 and another clocked at 1225 is ridiculously huge. Its like an entirely different gpu to be honest, I'm curious to see if AMD does a refresh later this year.

But what if Kepler can OC as well? And now we're talking about Radeon 8000s before Kepler is out?

The GTX 280 launched at $650. That was only about 3.5 years ago.

But then like a month later they dropped it to $499 I believe.

IMO the top-end single-GPU card should never be more than $499. Preferably less, but given current pricing that's unlikely.

The performance difference between a single 7970 clocked at 925 and another clocked at 1225 is ridiculously huge. Its like an entirely different gpu to be honest, I'm curious to see if AMD does a refresh later this year.

They have the headroom to do it. Clocks would have been higher if the yields were better.

But what if Kepler can OC as well? And now we're talking about Radeon 8000s before Kepler is out?

Since Kelper will be late, Q2/3 late for their top cards, AMD rumors will start to float around in Q3. I can see another Q4 paper launch.
If Nvidia has chips, they should release them just like they did with Fermi. Stock will be low but atleast something competitive is on the market.
I don't think AIB partners will be too happy if they still have nothing to compete with the 7970 in April.

This "late" thing with product releases is silly most the time. Technically keplar can't be "late" because a release date was never officially announced...outside of some "slides" which have 0 context. It could be "when developers start working on project ..." There hasn't been a solid "Kepler will launch 15th of January". :p

It's like some people peeking in my diary or asking random people who all say that the parties going to be on Tuesday and then complaining on Wednesday when I announce ill be having it on Thursday, even though I've never said to them anything but Thursday. If I then had it on Friday it would be late, otherwise I could announce it in 30 years time and it still wouldn't be late. :D

Like all these rumor things, none of them have any gaugeable realism until we have the parts. When that happens all this is useless anyway!

the way it looks now is that 7000 series is on its own, when Kepler comes out it will be a generation ahead, and also on its own.

think about it, this benefits amd and nvidia, they can price their cards much higher this way for much higher profit.

but it sucks for people like us though.

the way it looks now is that 7000 series is on its own, when Kepler comes out it will be a generation ahead, and also on its own.

nope, same generation bro

i thought the same as you, but it's not the case
just cause it's later, doesn't mean any better tech is packed into it

nVidia is just late compared to AMD - all there is to it

This "late" thing with product releases is silly most the time. Technically keplar can't be "late" because a release date was never officially announced...outside of some "slides" which have 0 context. It could be "when developers start working on project ..." There hasn't been a solid "Kepler will launch 15th of January". :p

put it this way: does nVidia WANT to let AMD have 28nm, including the fastest single GPU card, out on the market for 6 months uncontested?

no

so while it isn't "late" because no release date was announced, it is indeed "late" in terms of competitiveness because nVidia would prefer to have their 28nm parts out first, or at least at the same time as the competition

think about it, this benefits amd and nvidia, they can price their cards much higher this way for much higher profit.

Well we have a track record here, a pretty recent one with the Fermi arch.
6 months late, hot and power hungry. Yes, the GTX 480 was faster than the 5870, but nothing about it made the 400 series a better overall card.
I think AMD(then ATI) won that gen, especially since they had triple monitor support on a single card, and a dual gpu card which Nvidia couldn't produce one.

The company that released their product six months earlier won IMO. 7000 series and 600 series are the same gen. The process used usually determines that i.e. 28nm.

Last edited:
I just want this stuff to come out so I can compare it with the current AMD offerings so I know what I will get for when I upgrade to IB.

Well we have a track record here, a pretty recent one with the Fermi arch.
6 months late, hot and power hungry. Yes, the GTX 480 was faster than the 5870, but nothing about it made the 400 series a better overall card.
I think AMD(then ATI) won that gen, especially since they had triple monitor support on a single card, and a dual gpu card which Nvidia couldn't produce one.

Except then the 500 series came out and dominated. So, if anything, it seems possibly cyclical. Then again, we have no idea what Kepler is going to be so we can't even say that.

put it this way: does nVidia WANT to let AMD have 28nm, including the fastest single GPU card, out on the market for 6 months uncontested?

no

so while it isn't "late" because no release date was announced, it is indeed "late" in terms of competitiveness because nVidia would prefer to have their 28nm parts out first, or at least at the same time as the competition

Still isn't late :p

nVidia would prefer to have their 28nm parts out first, or at least at the same time as the competition

Makes no sense to saturate their market with new cards when there is still plenty of older models in stock at retailers. By NVIDIA holding off just a little they are able to help their retailers make max profits on older stuff and it gives NVIDIA time to produce a better video card.

I expect some big price drops on AMD HD79XX cards when NVIDIA rolls out their 28nm cards. Lowering the price is the main tool that AMD will have to compete with NVIDIA superior cards. That is the way I see things going.

Makes no sense to saturate their market with new cards when there is still plenty of older models in stock at retailers. By NVIDIA holding off just a little they are able to help their retailers make max profits on older stuff and it gives NVIDIA time to produce a better video card.

I expect some big price drops on AMD HD79XX cards when NVIDIA rolls out their 28nm cards. Lowering the price is the main tool that AMD will have to compete with NVIDIA superior cards. That is the way I see things going.

We shall see I guess, the news Charlie broke of kepler being slower than pitcairn in non physx titles (and 10-20% slower in general) is concerning. Either way i'm exited to see what the final product will be, should be a good year for GPU's.

I really want to wait for a gtx680 but I keep looking at 7970's and drooling.... I only want one...
What will happen is i'll buy one then buy a gtx680 and sell the 7970 probably...

whats a guy to do?

Including him, right? :p

Yes! :D

If he wasn't such an annoying little assturd then perhaps people wouldn't be so mean...he just sits on his little personal blog "predicting" things like how a part that is past its due date is delayed because of "issues". It's like they have psychic abilities! :eek: I wish people would stop going there so he'd have to get a hobby or something...:D

I really want to wait for a gtx680 but I keep looking at 7970's and drooling.... I only want one...
What will happen is i'll buy one then buy a gtx680 and sell the 7970 probably...

whats a guy to do?

You have a very nice card. I'd just be patient and wait for Kepler if that is what you really want. If your near the end of your patience and don't mind losing money you could probably sell your GTX 580 at a loss and buy the AMD HD7970 at current high pricing then sell it at a loss and buy a GTX 680 at in infalted price when it releases.

It's your money and your personal fun. Buy what you can afford.

Last edited:
It seems to me that with the limited amounts of VRAM, Nvidia are leaving the multi-display gaming market to AMD. The 79xx cards can have up to 6 GB of VRAM - more than enough for 3x 1080p displays and good for 5 - but 2 GB seems to be the limit with Nvidia.

I must confess to a lack of comprehension here. Tests on [H] have repeatedly exposed the requirement for more VRAM. Yet Nvidia have only nudged the amount of built-in memory. It does make me question the authenticity of the article.

It seems to me that with the limited amounts of VRAM, Nvidia are leaving the multi-display gaming market to AMD. The 79xx cards can have up to 6 GB of VRAM - more than enough for 3x 1080p displays and good for 5 - but 2 GB seems to be the limit with Nvidia.

I must confess to a lack of comprehension here. Tests on [H] have repeatedly exposed the requirement for more VRAM. Yet Nvidia have only nudged the amount of built-in memory. It does make me question the authenticity of the article.

Where did you read they will have a 6GB version of the 7970? And yes as far as this rumor goes Nvidia failed in the VRAM department unless like stated above, a custom 4GB version comes out, then Nvidia will be good for multi monitor setups.

Not bad, if this is true... i have a eyes on the 660 at 319$USD to replace my 460 SLI (since it's about the same speed as 580) and later i'll sli them if needed. I game at 1080p, but having 60fps+ everywhere at ULTRA settings is awesome :) ;)

Not bad, if this is true... i have a eyes on the 660 at 319$USD to replace my 460 SLI (since it's about the same speed as 580) and later i'll sli them if needed. I game at 1080p, but having 60fps+ everywhere at ULTRA settings is awesome :) ;)

I game on one monitor at 1920 x 1080 and I would buy two 680's if I could just because I love overkill :p. Btw nice name :) great series lol.

I think you're missing the point, its a 384 bit memory bus so 1.75gb isn't possible. Furthermore, the GTX 690 in that chart is 1.75gb x 2, while the GTX 690 is 2gb? ROFL? Hello? GTX 680 is supposed to be a 384 or 512 bit bus, and its also supposed to be 2x GTX 680s. Jesus christ.

1.75GB translates to 1792MB. That divides right into the 896 bus width.

If these are PCI-E v3.0 i want to know where all of the people who said how stupid and useless it was for X79 to have PCI-E v3.0.

Where did you read they will have a 6GB version of the 7970? And yes as far as this rumor goes Nvidia failed in the VRAM department unless like stated above, a custom 4GB version comes out, then Nvidia will be good for multi monitor setups.

2gb really is more than enough even for 3x 1920x1080 with a bit of aa in 99% of games. BF3 even is fine with around that, though it consumes almost as much as is available like windows 7 superfetch.

2gb really is more than enough even for 3x 1920x1080 with a bit of aa in 99% of games. BF3 even is fine with around that, though it consumes almost as much as is available like windows 7 superfetch.

While it is "enough" more VRAM would still be much better considering some 7970 users report above 2GB of VRAM usage even if it is just for buffering, more is better.

While it is "enough" more VRAM would still be much better considering some 7970 users report above 2GB of VRAM usage even if it is just for buffering, more is better.

Yeah, I agree, just see a lot of people who do think that you need 3gb of VRAM as a minimum for rigs now :). I have seen the 6GB rumor too for a 7970 which is just laughable. As you said though, a 4GB version will surely come out as a custom card and that'll placate those who really want (and the VERY few who need) it.

Yeah, I agree, just see a lot of people who do think that you need 3gb of VRAM as a minimum for rigs now :). I have seen the 6GB rumor too for a 7970 which is just laughable. As you said though, a 4GB version will surely come out as a custom card and that'll placate those who really want (and the VERY few who need) it.

For my single monitor the 2GB will be fine, I was meh about the 560's being 1GB till the 2GB version came out because 1GB barely makes the cut and in some cases won't in BF3 with eye candy on. But if I ran 2560 x 1600 then 4GB would be nice for extra head room. And 6GB is just a sh*t ton of VRAM haha.

it's looking good for nVidia so far, if the 'preview' numbers are somewhat accurate, then Kepler might just be nVidia's HD4000 series.

it's looking good for nVidia so far, if the 'preview' numbers are somewhat accurate, then Kepler might just be nVidia's HD4000 series.

You mean if the rumor mill numbers are somewhat accurate, there has been no preview.

Those specs look nice, if they are legit but the small VRAM is disappointing. 1.75GB on the GTX 670, WTF? And don't get me started on 2GB on the flagship card as well.

And if the GTX 680 was to use a 384 bit again, don't tell me its going to be 1.5GB again, which is laughable.

Back