Let's go old school.. As in P3 Xeon system

Psycho

Gawd
Im picking up a system for 75 bucks from a friend. It's a dell precision with dual P3 Xeon 700mhz 2M cache and a gig of ram. It's going to be for the GF and i figure she'll be satisfied with it. How will it perform? Decent? It has XP Pro.

Web surfing, email, word processing, and small database server.

Chicks dig the database servers.

It won't exactly let you run Prey or anything like that. To a user, it will feel like a P3-700.

For a female whos not too into computers? It'll be absolutely fine, its got a gig of ram which was the most important part for XP, that xeon can handle normal tasks just fine.

The most she'll do with it is talk online and play poker with it. I just couldn't pass it up for the money. Always wanted a dual system to fuck around with.

She has a 500mhz celeron notebook currently so i imagine this will feel like 100X's better

I'd keep XP on that rig, Vista will be boggy.
Thats a pretty ignorant comment.. Vista is quite stable, actually..

On a system like that it would be a toss up which would perform better. If you up'd the ram and added a usb 2.0 flash drive you'd probably see Vista faster than XP. Otherwise, I'd definitely stick with XP...

Thats a pretty ignorant comment.. Vista is quite stable, actually..

On a system like that it would be a toss up which would perform better. If you up'd the ram and added a usb 2.0 flash drive you'd probably see Vista faster than XP. Otherwise, I'd definitely stick with XP...

I have a feeling you either a) didn't read my post properly or b) are a moron.

I said on that system Vista would be boggy, and probably not as enjoyable as XP would be for her daily use. Please read before talkin shit, I never once commented on Vista's stability whatsoever.

I have a feeling you either a) didn't read my post properly or b) are a moron.

I said on that system Vista would be boggy, and probably not as enjoyable as XP would be for her daily use. Please read before talkin shit, I never once commented on Vista's stability whatsoever.

sorry.. i read buggy.. :)

$75! What a great deal. Damn... I vividly remember ordering those things in quantity for my dept when they were thousands of dollars. I still have a P3 1Ghz with single proc in the basement collecting dust.

Definitely fine for the GF.

SuperSubZero - thanks for a chuckle.... "chicks dig the database servers" was a great comment :D

that should be a great little box. SMP + 1gb of ram will make it run beautifully. I have a dual 800mhz P3 (non xeon version) + 768mb of ram box that I run here and it works great for all normal functions.

Don't underestimate older hardware :cool:

that should be a great little box. SMP + 1gb of ram will make it run beautifully. I have a dual 800mhz P3 (non xeon version) + 768mb of ram box that I run here and it works great for all normal functions.

Don't underestimate older hardware :cool:

How about some sandra benchmarks? :D

In some very real ways, the Pentium M is the sequel to the P3 and the Core 2 of course is the evolution from P-M. The architecture of the P4 stands out as a departure. Intel would have been better served evolving the "old" P3 arch and bypassing the P4. Of course they know that now (and Im sure many Intel engineers knew it THEN) and mistakes happen. The executive who blessed the P4 design giving AMD an opening to stick with the more classic x86 approach and, thereby, take the crown probably has had some bad days though!

My Dad's office computer is a Dual 550Mhz 2M cache P3 Xeon system. It is surprisingly snappy for internet and office applications. It is significantly faster than the single P3 933 he uses as his home computer.

700Mhz Xeon's had 100mhz bus and a 7X multiplier right? So in theory the bus should be able to overclock to 133mhz? 133 X 7 = 931mhz

This is going to be fun. :D

How about some sandra benchmarks? :D

I'd love to but for some reason I can't get sandra to work on windows 2000 :confused: I have two windows 2000 boxes (the dual p3 and my thinkpad x24) and the latest versions of sandra won't run on either of them...when I try to launch it nothing happens. Odd, considering sisoft says specifically that it runs on win2k just fine.

Back