Let's speculate when the 7 series will see a price drop!

Nearsite

Gawd
I'm thinking probably in a week? As someone else said, if the 7900s drop in price, then it may have a ripple effect on the rest of the line up.

Well, here is the first(?) hint of an upcoming price drop...

Link

I give it two weeks, once manufacturers start seeing 79xx sales fall off a cliff with the GTX 680 out there now. Even with the GTX 680 in short supply here initially enough potential 79xx buyers will have decided to wait for more 680 supply to come in.

I would think it won't happen until the 680s are consistently in stock.

I think it depends.
If AMD has a 7980 to launch (like in the 4xx0 days) then it will drop after that launches.
If they are only launching a 7990 then it will drop when the 7990 comes out.
If AMD has the finances on this product line to drop the price (only they know) then they should under cut the GTX680 by a couple of dollars. that will be more than enough to get buyers thinking harder.

retailers here dont have the cards yet... Wait a few more months when the rest of keplar drops and those AMD cards will sink in price.

either gonna get a gtx580 when it drops... seen them around 380 recently

or a 7870 for 300 or less I wont pay more then 300.

retailers here dont have the cards yet... Wait a few more months when the rest of keplar drops and those AMD cards will sink in price.

either gonna get a gtx580 when it drops... seen them around 380 recently

or a 7870 for 300 or less I wont pay more then 300.

Yeah, I hear you. I was about to pull the trigger on a 7850 for $259.99 plus tax and shipping at newegg, but I talked myself out of it until after the 680 comes out. Now i'm glad I did that. I'll now pick up a 7870 for under $300 or if the 660ti comes out, I'll take a look at that. I think that's good enough for 1080p gaming. I'm way too cheap to spend money on two more monitors, and a super high end graphics card to run it.

From the Anandtech review I read, even though it looks like an Nvidia biased review. The 680 didn't beat the 7970 in about half the benchmarks... even though Anandtech declared them the "winner".

It also didn't beat the 7950 in heat or power consumption as claimed by Anandtech.

Yeah, I hear you. I was about to pull the trigger on a 7850 for $259.99 plus tax and shipping at newegg, but I talked myself out of it until after the 680 comes out. Now i'm glad I did that. I'll now pick up a 7870 for under $300 or if the 660ti comes out, I'll take a look at that. I think that's good enough for 1080p gaming. I'm way too cheap to spend money on two more monitors, and a super high end graphics card to run it.

same.

I dont have the money for two displays too expensive.

Honestly I bought a really nice monitor its the u2412m its efing beautiful. but the resolution is 1920x1200 and it's eating my fucking gtx460 for breakfast hahaha. I have an itch to upgrade but I can wait till the new BF3 DLC comes out to upgrade... worst comes to worse I buy a 7850 and overclock it to get closer to a 7870..

Personally I feel more comfortable with a nvidia card though so I'm interested to see the rest of the nvidia line.

I'd buy a 7870 at $300 too, but I think we'll see either one of two things happen:

1. Nvidia brings their supply up and forces a price drop on AMD's part.
2. Nvidia's production lines can't keep up with the demand for Kepler, and raises the price as a result.

Although I was talking to my brother. If the Geforce 660Ti is ~580 speeds and significantly less power consumption, I'm totally sold.

I'd buy a $300 7870 as well and prefer nvidia. Tech wise it's better than 680, smaller, half the power, and 3/4 as fast. I think AMD made a error debut it at a non mid range price but perhaps they can sell all they make, who knows.

Nothing will "drop" in price until one of two happen:

one, the 680GTX becomes widely available.

two, the 7990 hits and is more available than the 6990 was.

The 7970 is still the best card "available". Why should it's price drop? Plus it has more RAM and can stand toe to toe with anything available. I don't think AMD partners are going to drop the price much if at all.

The 680 is a nice card, but even if I was looking, I still think I'd choose the 7970.

I can only see the cards dropping $50 or so. The 680 hasn't put too much pressure on AMD IMO, and they can always come out with an even cheaper 1.5GB version of the 7950/70 without changing prices of the 3GB variant at all. Had the 680 debuted at $399 as early rumors suggested it'd be entirely different story, THAT would have shaken things up.

Last edited:
The thing is, the GTX 680 comes fairly bare as a card

1 Card
1 manual
1 cd
1 dvi-vga adapter
1 molex - 6pin pci-e adapter

the 7970 comes with

1 Card
1 Manual
1 CD
1 DVI-VGA
1 Mini-DP -> DVI Active single link
1 Mini-DP -> DP
1 HDMI -> DVI
1 long flexible crossfire bridge
the adapters alone are worth $20-$30

My feelings on this topic have now done a complete 180* since I just bit the bullet and ordered up the PowerColor reference 7870. No price drops!!!

Though realistically, I'll probably keep this card a good 2-3 years, so price drops won't really matter by the time I get rid of it.

My feelings on this topic have now done a complete 180* since I just bit the bullet and ordered up the PowerColor reference 7870. No price drops!!!

Though realistically, I'll probably keep this card a good 2-3 years, so price drops won't really matter by the time I get rid of it.

Price drops always matter man! I believe we'll start to see price drops sometime in April.

I don't mind as long as they hit by May when my 5850 turns 2 (years old), then I can justify buying an upgrade!

the 7970 comes with

1 Card
1 Manual
1 CD
1 DVI-VGA
1 Mini-DP -> DVI Active single link
1 Mini-DP -> DP
1 HDMI -> DVI
1 long flexible crossfire bridge
the adapters alone are worth $20-$30

I'm surprised xfx has not come out with a bare bone cheaper card yet to compete on price... the doggles do add up...

6970+6950 crossfire overclocked FTW :)

gaming at 1920x1080 means I can probably go another 1 to 1.5 years before I have to start looking at GPUs again, by that time I'd speculate on getting a 7950 for 250ish :)

If the 7970 drops to $450 I might have to pick up another, tho I enjoy the fun of 1 card and no Microstuttering. Besides it's always nicer to say I have 2 cards!

6970+6950 crossfire overclocked FTW :)

gaming at 1920x1080 means I can probably go another 1 to 1.5 years before I have to start looking at GPUs again, by that time I'd speculate on getting a 7950 for 250ish :)

This! These people are the real winners in all of this. God I wish I could do that. Damn this Amazing Eyefinity setup.

Especially with Nvidia's competitors on the way (including 680 etc...) I have no idea why they AMD won't stick to the best of the 4000 and 6000 series pricing structures that gave them such a lead. When they rolled out the high end before and didn't gouge on price, pretty much everyone bought AMD because of a "Why should I pay up to several hundred dollars more for a 10% performance increase"? However,if their best single GPU cards are basically teetering over $400-500 'just because', what's the big advantage?

AMD should know that the've made huge profits by basically "locking up" people en masse for a generation with providing fantastic cards at great prices. Jacking up the price while you're the only game in town means less people just buying to get in on the great deal and therefor more open to wait for the next iteration or what the competition does, increasing the chance that at least some of them will choose NV instead. Unfortunate....

AMD might do a price drop but only until Nvidia releases their full range of cards (High end, mid range, low end). Because it's really not just the 7970 that they will adjust the price.

I'm getting really impatient. I want a new video card!! Am I going to have to wait until may for prices to drop? Maybe I should just buy now and enjoy it?

I'm in the same boat you are and the poster directly above me. I kinda just want to pull the trigger already on a 7850 and enjoy it now....

Only 7 series I care about is 7990, waiting for that to be realeased to shut the green side up.

Only 7 series I care about is 7990, waiting for that to be realeased to shut the green side up.

I don't really see how that would shut them up. I mean, at some point nvidia is going to release a dual gpu card as well, then amd will release 8970, then nvidia will release gtx 780, and so forth and so on.

Yup, no price drops in sight. Gtx 570's and 560's look like still have plenty of supply which probably means no 28nm kepler competition for 7850/7870 coming soon. Rumors of may release but no solid info.

I feel like everything is overpriced but I'm getting tired of waiting. I was willing to spend up to $400 max, but don't feel like it with these prices. I might just get a cheap 7850 and maybe upgrade again sooner than planned.

Feels like 7950 should be $400, 7870 should be $300, and 7850 should be $200-220. At least having a paper launch of a 670 ti or 670 would help me wait longer.

Back