LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner Newegg $109.99 FS

I jumped on this myself so i'll let everyone know how it goes.

Does Alcohol 120 work on this drive as i still can't my older LG BR Burner to work in A120?

Nice to see the price finally coming down but still to expensive IMO.

Also BD disks do indeed burn coasters and die on the shelf just like CD and DVD's. Every time they try to increase the data density on optical media the long term reliability gets worse and worse. Maybe if they had cheap 200 or 100GB disks it'd be interesting to me, but as it is right now 2.5" portable hard drives and larger 3.5" external drives are the way to go for back ups and physical transportation. Their speed and ability to write/rewrite data to them over and over again, plus the low cost (you can get a 640GB 2.5" external drive for $99 right now) makes them unbeatable.

It all depends on your purposeful use of the blueray burner. If your wanting one just to burn and back up data then no they aren't priced right and neither are the disks. If your wanting them for other uses such as backing up ps3 games etc then they are worth it right now.

I've got this drive..just a word of caution..it can get stuck in windows 7 where it will not eject. I found a couple troubleshoot posts on this drive (google). Not trying to scare anyone off since it doesn't happen all the time but would have been nice to know that this drive was never intended for the consumer (hence why it has problems for home use).

I've got this drive..just a word of caution..it can get stuck in windows 7 where it will not eject. I found a couple troubleshoot posts on this drive (google). Not trying to scare anyone off since it doesn't happen all the time but would have been nice to know that this drive was never intended for the consumer (hence why it has problems for home use).

Ive had CD and DVD drives do that in all versions of Windows.........not a new problem and not specific to this drive.

Ive had CD and DVD drives do that in all versions of Windows.........not a new problem and not specific to this drive.

I am not saying it is specific to windows nor will anyone have the same problem. It has just been my experience with the drive. But, my experience also has slowed my computer down to a grinding hault (PC in sig) when getting stuck. For $100 its a decent buy..but if I were to buy it again I would spend the extra $$ to get a drive intended for my audience. (home user)

Also, maybe it wasn't clear in my prior post..but I meant drive gets stuck and system locks up. Again, not always...but I'd be curious to see if anyone else has the same problems.

Last edited:
I am not saying it is specific to windows nor will anyone have the same problem. It has just been my experience with the drive. But, my experience also has slowed my computer down to a grinding hault (PC in sig) when getting stuck. For $100 its a decent buy..but if I were to buy it again I would spend the extra $$ to get a drive intended for my audience. (home user)

Also, maybe it wasn't clear in my prior post..but I meant drive gets stuck and system locks up. Again, not always...but I'd be curious to see if anyone else has the same problems.

I have had this drive for a few months, worked the whiz out of it already, not a single hang, freeze, nothing. Dunno what to tell ya. I'm using a eVGA X58 3x SLI and I can't remember if the drive is on the Intel or the JMicron controller.

I have had this drive for a few months, worked the whiz out of it already, not a single hang, freeze, nothing. Dunno what to tell ya. I'm using a eVGA X58 3x SLI and I can't remember if the drive is on the Intel or the JMicron controller.

And what do you say to the lack of support (firmware updates) and all that? I am in the market for a blu-ray burner and this seems like a great deal except its intended for commercial ownership.

what classifies a burner/drive as a commercial or consumer type of device? or is just basically OEM vs Retail packaging?

any problems?

I will install over the weekend so I dont know. It did come with 2 Cyberlink Software disks which enabled me to update another LG Blu-Ray drive that I have on another computer.
Also the 3D glasses which I dont know if I will ever use.

And what do you say to the lack of support (firmware updates) and all that? I am in the market for a blu-ray burner and this seems like a great deal except its intended for commercial ownership.

I have *never* had to firmware update any of my optical drives for any reason other than to say I did -- never had problem that needed fixing from a firmware update or compatibility issues with the media I use. Might be important to some, not to me.

I have *never* had to firmware update any of my optical drives for any reason other than to say I did -- never had problem that needed fixing from a firmware update or compatibility issues with the media I use. Might be important to some, not to me.

Well same, never have i ever had to do anything with a drive (cd, dvd, and now my new Bluray) besides putting it into the pc. BUT when i started looking into getting a bluray drive, and asking questions on here, firmware and updates seem to be all everyone talks about and asks about, so i assume its important and something i should need and ask about...

Im not sure how this works but I used the LG software/PowerDVD that came with mine on another LG drive that I have on another computer and it automatically did a firmware update on that drive. The drive is a couple years old.

I installed the drive and everything works fine on Windows 7 64 bit.
All the drivers installed automatically as far as the drive and DVD player.

The Blu-Ray player wouldnt work until I installed Power DVD 9 from one of the discs that came with the drive. After installing everything works fine. I havent tried burning.

As I mentioned before the disc installs some sort of LG firmware tool and does an update.

Im not sure why they sent 2 discs. One of them is Power DVD 8 and the other one is Power DVD 9 which is the one I used. The nice thing about these discs is that they will work with any LG blu-ray drive.

No issues so far.

I installed the drive and everything works fine on Windows 7 64 bit.
All the drivers installed automatically as far as the drive and DVD player.

The Blu-Ray player wouldnt work until I installed Power DVD 9 from one of the discs that came with the drive. After installing everything works fine. I havent tried burning.

As I mentioned before the disc installs some sort of LG firmware tool and does an update.

Im not sure why they sent 2 discs. One of them is Power DVD 8 and the other one is Power DVD 9 which is the one I used. The nice thing about these discs is that they will work with any LG blu-ray drive.

No issues so far.
This drive is really tempting, its about $40 more than the cheapest blu-ray reader drive that comes with software, and this software is newer and 3d, I really think I might pick this drive up, very tempting.

Price back to $109.99, BUT
Use promo code EMCYWZY88 (Good until 8/16/10) Get it for $98.91 w/ Free Shipping.

This is the cheapest so far. LOL

Price back to $109.99, BUT
Use promo code EMCYWZY88 (Good until 8/16/10) Get it for $98.91 w/ Free Shipping.

I get this when I try to use that code: "Although you've entered a valid promo code EMCYWZY88, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria."

I get this when I try to use that code: "Although you've entered a valid promo code EMCYWZY88, your order does not currently meet the code's usage criteria."

It was in my newsletter this morning. Here is the top of the image anyway. (The rest is pieced together but it states the promo code that I pasted and you tried.)
LB_50.jpg

at the very bottom it has this one:
LB_54.jpg

Beats me you can always contact their chat service and tell them the promo code isn't working I suppose.

Yea, that's weird as I get the newsletters also. Must be the fact that it's a Blu-ray burner and not just a dvd burner.

Yea, that's weird as I get the newsletters also. Must be the fact that it's a Blu-ray burner and not just a dvd burner.
Bah a dvd burner is a dvd burner and they should honor it. Not to mention it does state "ALL"

Anyone have any issues with this drive in Windows 7? Apparently LG Support will not assist any problems encountered with Windows 7 since the drive doesn't officially support it...

Anyone have any issues with this drive in Windows 7? Apparently LG Support will not assist any problems encountered with Windows 7 since the drive doesn't officially support it...

No issues with Windows 7 x64. It updates firmware automatically.

I'm tempted to go with this even though I missed the $10 discount. Only problem is it'll run me about $40 extra shipped over the Samsung BD-ROM combo drive I'm currently looking at. Not sure I'm in for that... even though the idea of backing up my Blu-ray movies and PS3 games is kind of enticing...

That's good to hear. Some Egg users have reported issues, but that's probably just user error, though.

No issues with Windows 7 x64. It updates firmware automatically.

No issues with me either in Windows 7 64 bit. Don't know if it's updating firmware or not, but blurays and lightscribes and ripping all work great on this thing.

$60 more on their Canadian site and no free 3D software, glasses, or BD media. Can you say ripoff?

Virus?
avg reports RiTA.dll as a themida virus when you install the software.

did anyone get the powerdvd to play a blu ray disk?
Mine looked at van helsing and says it does not support playback of this format??

Virus?
avg reports RiTA.dll as a themida virus when you install the software.

did anyone get the powerdvd to play a blu ray disk?
Mine looked at van helsing and says it does not support playback of this format??

Mine plays fine with the PowerDVD 9 they sent. Have you tried any other discs besides Van Helsing?

Back at it again.
Reg $109.99 - (EMCYXZV28) = $93.49 + FS

Currently the code isn't working, but if you contact them via chat and email in after it ships they will credit the amount back. Darlene sent the problem to the proper department and the problem should be getting fixed sometime where the code actually works as it should.

The above code is good for all dvd drives and media. Or so today's add stated anyway.

Back