LG 32GS95UE – OLED 31.5″ with 4K @ 240Hz and 1080p @ 480Hz Support - The death knell of LCD panels

tongshadow

Limp Gawd

View: https://i.imgur.com/4d7RB4s.png

Headlining the new range is the 32GS95UE, a 31.5″ sized (32″ class) OLED monitor with a native 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution panel and a native 240Hz refresh rate. As we discussed in our LG.Display panel roadmap updates this year in March and August, their new panel can operate at 240Hz, but also supports a feature called DFR (Dynamic Frequency and Resolution) which allows the screen to be run at a lower 1080p resolution but at 480Hz refresh rate.

This allows users, via a simple use of a dedicated button on the bottom of the monitor LGE say, to switch their screen between the two modes depending on their gaming genre and your priorities. You can either focus on resolution and run in 4K mode (and let’s face it, 240Hz is hardly “slow”!), or switch to 1080p mode to focus on frame rates and motion clarity with the jump up to 480Hz.
Source: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-tease-exciting-new-range-of-oled-monitors-for-ces-2024

I thought 2025 would be "the year of the display" but seems we are getting it a bit early.

The 1080p with 480 Hz would be pretty dope for something like Doom Eternal or similar very fast paced games where you really don't have the time to watch the scenery so the lower resolution is not that much of an issue. 1080p + DLAA might work out nicely.

I really hope this refresh rate switching and 240 Hz would come to their TVs as well.

Also happy to see a WOLED option that challenges the 32" Samsung QD-OLEDs. I'm perfectly happy with the capabilities of my LG CX 48" TV and would find a desktop display like that perfectly acceptable, considering the LG CX is still going strong 3 years with 2 years of full time desktop use.

But damn do I wish they would just make a freakin' 40" 5120x2160 @ 240 Hz panel already! The 39" 3440x1440p is just stupid when they could do 5120x2160 @ 240 Hz instead. Or at least upgrade the 45" models to 5120x2160 as I'd go for that too. The TFTCentral article hints at this, but I expect it won't happen until 2025.

I wanna see peak brightness figures. The QD OLEDs look pretty abysmal being only 400 nits on a 10% window. The 1000 nits on 1-2% windows is pretty meaningless IMO. If the LG WOLED counterpart can do significantly more brightness in the 10-50% area then I would just go for this instead. It's been shown many times over that games barely use any colors beyond sRGB anyway which is why so many people can't notice a difference between WOLED and QD OLED when it comes to colors in games. Heck even the new Avatar game which should be a prime candidate for very wide color gamuts decided to stick to just sRGB color space for HDR anyway.

1703178026600.png

Well nevermind it looks like the LG is also going to have crappy brightness as well.

1703180286561.png

And not only that, it's also going to have that disgusting matte coating. QD OLED it is.

Reactions: Xar
like this
LG makes the panels, so hold your breath for other manufacturers using Glossy screens. And even then, it's still miles of magnitude superior to any LCD panel in picture quality.

LG makes the panels, so hold your breath for other manufacturers using Glossy screens. And even then, it's still miles of magnitude superior to any LCD panel in picture quality.

Depends. Motion clarity wise? Absolutely. Low APL HDR scenes? Yup. High APL HDR scenes? Nope, at least not these monitors with their gimped brightness when compared to OLED TVs. Really annoying to see the OLED TVs hitting 1500 nits while the latest and greatest monitors are stuck at 400. Here's hoping Asus or KTC or someone else can crank that up just like they did on the 1440p model. In fact KTC managed to push WOLED to be comparable to QD OLED in the brightness department, even surpassing it in the 5-50% window size.

1703184620297.png

Well nevermind it looks like the LG is also going to have crappy brightness as well.

View attachment 621579

And not only that, it's also going to have that disgusting matte coating. QD OLED it is.
Matte's a mandatory for 99% 🖥️ monitors it seems. Doesn't matter how hard gamers kept telling them we desire Glossy or semi-Glossy. There's a rare instance like that Eve 1440p 240Hz W-OLED with Glossy + 3D Gorilla Glass.

Depends. Motion clarity wise? Absolutely. Low APL HDR scenes? Yup. High APL HDR scenes? Nope, at least not these monitors with their gimped brightness when compared to OLED TVs. Really annoying to see the OLED TVs hitting 1500 nits while the latest and greatest monitors are stuck at 400. Here's hoping Asus or KTC or someone else can crank that up just like they did on the 1440p model. In fact KTC managed to push WOLED to be comparable to QD OLED in the brightness department, even surpassing it in the 5-50% window size.

View attachment 621605
But we're comparing monitors here. What LCD monitor has better HDR performance than these OLED monitors?
If you prefer TVs, that's a whole different story.

Reactions: Zahua
like this
But we're comparing monitors here. What LCD monitor has better HDR performance than these OLED monitors?
If you prefer TVs, that's a whole different story.

Mini LEDs like my 32M2V does, again except for in low APL scenes because it doesn't have per pixel dimming like OLED does. But in those higher APL scenes it destroys my OLED and makes it look more like SDR rather than HDR so that's why I'm going to hold onto it even when I do get a 32" OLED. Games that have a ton of high APL HDR scenes and I cannot get more than 144fps in I will just play on my 32M2V, but everything else will be played on the OLED instead.

Mini LEDs like my 32M2V does, again except for in low APL scenes because it doesn't have per pixel dimming like OLED does. But in those higher APL scenes it destroys my OLED and makes it look more like SDR rather than HDR so that's why I'm going to hold onto it even when I do get a 32" OLED. Games that have a ton of high APL HDR scenes and I cannot get more than 144fps in I will just play on my 32M2V, but everything else will be played on the OLED instead.
You like bright monitors, that's ok. But I prefer better contrast levels and uniformity that doesnt create halos or blacks looking like gradients. Only OLEDs can deliver that to me.

You like bright monitors, that's ok. But I prefer better contrast levels and uniformity that doesnt create halos or blacks looking like gradients. Only OLEDs can deliver that to me.

It's not that I like "bright" monitors, but I do like the HDR performance I get in high APL scenes from a Mini LED, OLED simply cannot deliver that due to ABL. That doesn't mean that I consider Mini LED to be superior to OLED at all, it's literally only in those very very bright HDR scenes that Mini LED outshines OLED. Well that and the fact that the RGB subpixel makes it better for text, and up until now there were no 32" OLED gaming monitors so I had no choice but to settle for Mini LED. But once the 32" QD OLED 240Hz monitors hit the market I will be using that as my primary display as it will have more advantages overall (glossy screens, 240Hz, plus all the typical OLED advantages).

Real 4k@240hz with support for 1080p@480hz is exactly what I've been asking for. I just want it in 48". Hopefully LG brings this to their TVs.

"This ELMB mode only works at a fixed 120Hz refresh rate, with no other modes being supported. So you can’t use this at the maximum 240Hz refresh rate, or at a lower 60Hz refresh rate either unfortunately. We assume this relates to limitations with adding this themselves via the monitor scaler."

booooooooooooooo

"This ELMB mode only works at a fixed 120Hz refresh rate, with no other modes being supported. So you can’t use this at the maximum 240Hz refresh rate, or at a lower 60Hz refresh rate either unfortunately. We assume this relates to limitations with adding this themselves via the monitor scaler."

booooooooooooooo
I know, I dont know why they are so afraid to implement 60hz BFI when there would be no crosstalk or other issues seem on LCDs. The LG CX and C1 remain the gold standard in motion blur reduction.

I wanted the LG one but it seems that is in August. Warranty won’t matter to me as I will ship it from US which means no warranty.

What I want to know, is if LG's new panels work better with variable refresh rate. Their current panels have an issue with flickering while using VRR, especially in low light and/or near gray scenes. I recently tried a 42 inch LG panel from KTC, as well as a 27 inch LG panel from KTC. Both flickered with VRR, while playing Alan Wake. The 27 inch also had a dead pixel surrounded by some cloudy pixels. Returned both.
RTings also notes the flickering issue is present on the C3. They don't say anything about it on monitors, though!

Is Alienware worth buying?

Dell's warranty service is top notch from what I've read. Can't say the same for Gigabyte,MSI, or Asus.
Dell has a zero dead pixel garuntee or it gets replaced. Some other brands don't have that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvinh
like this
QD oled has no polarizing layer so without any AG it has both reflectiions and raised black levels. I dislike grainy matte AG so I hope the previews / impressions from CES where people spoke positively about upcoming next gen qd oled AG pans out. Still has the raised blacks issue in a bright room though.
I think the excellent glossy coating on LGs TVs and polarizing layers would be my pick for woled panels too if anyone offers that in monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Ultragear-Gaming-Monitor-Pixel/dp/B0CV1Y7NLT

Just dropped on Amazon US. Why on earth is it also only capable of 400nits when its using the latest MLA WOLED panel. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it though because its probably capable of well north of 400nits but not enough to break into the next DisplayHDR True Black tier.

Edit: now out of stock.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Ultragear-Gaming-Monitor-Pixel/dp/B0CV1Y7NLT

Just dropped on Amazon US. Why on earth is it also only capable of 400nits when its using the latest MLA WOLED panel. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it though because its probably capable of well north of 400nits but not enough to break into the next DisplayHDR True Black tier.

Edit: now out of stock.
sweet out sooner than expected, guess they wanted to come out asap so they don't lose money to samsung panels coming out first

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
went from temporarily out of stock to, this item can't be delivered to your location, please select another location.
guess amazon has it on hold until LG's specified release date.

$1299. LG has some $100 promo for preordering from them directly whenever they open that up.

Maybe it's suppose to apply to Amazon too but it wasn't reflected at all.

Matte's a mandatory for 99% 🖥️ monitors it seems. Doesn't matter how hard gamers kept telling them we desire Glossy or semi-Glossy. There's a rare instance like that Eve 1440p 240Hz W-OLED with Glossy + 3D Gorilla Glass.
I'm not much of a "gamer" and have always bought matte because of the reflections, but just wondering why gamers desire Glossy or semi-Glossy?

I'm not much of a "gamer" and have always bought matte because of the reflections, but just wondering why gamers desire Glossy or semi-Glossy?
If you ever get a chance to see them side by side in a dark room you'd understand. A matte coating smears the reflection across the whole panel and muddies the image. It's affected by the light output from the monitor itself, so it's always a downside, even if your room is setup so reflections aren't an issue.

Some of the QD-OLED 32'' monitors do have glossy panels, but as far as I know all of the 32'' WOLED monitors announced so far will be matte. Maybe LG is trying to avoid competing with their own 42'' C3 at $900. Only having matte coatings on the monitors puts them in different markets.

lol well amazon now has pictures of the monitor , still no go on buying it

So the Asus PG32UCDM (which had the highest prospects of being the brightness QD OLED) review is up on TFTCentral and apparently the 10% window brightness is only 483 nits...looks like every single 3rd gen QD OLED is going to have abysmal brightness no matter what brand. Really makes me want to try out this LG instead, but then it's matte....ugh.

I know you guys will blow me up for this but when I had the C2 and PG42UQ side by side, the difference between glossy and matte if I had to quantify it was like 5% improvement in clarity. In my opinion this glossy vs matte thing gets really blown out of proportion (unless we're talking the Neo G8's Vaseline coating). I'll take a 1080p/480hz button + 200nits+ higher highlight brightness and far less firmware issues over a glossy screen.

This guy comes to the same conclusion:

View: https://youtu.be/iNIN9ud9PZU?si=JSK6dHtKUTlAfRxf&t=439

I know you guys will blow me up for this but when I had the C2 and PG42UQ side by side, the difference between glossy and matte if I had to quantify it was like 5% improvement in clarity. In my opinion this glossy vs matte thing gets really blown out of proportion (unless we're talking the Neo G8's Vaseline coating). I'll take a 1080p/480hz button + 200nits+ higher highlight brightness and far less firmware issues over a glossy screen.

This guy comes to the same conclusion:

View: https://youtu.be/iNIN9ud9PZU?si=JSK6dHtKUTlAfRxf&t=439

Nah, i agree 100%. I've never cared much between them.

Yeah but 1080p at 32" is eye cancer so I consider the 480Hz mode a moot point. All I want is a 32" 4K 240Hz FLAT OLED, QD OLED is preferred but after seeing just how hard the brightness has been nerfed on these monitors I'm thinking this is also a moot point. Who cares about color volume/saturation at higher brightness levels when the monitors can't even reach those higher brightness levels in the first place.

I was planning on using the 480hz for 2d games just for the crazy motion clarity. Yes the color volume difference is pretty irrelevant both because of poor HDR implementations (color space) and because they've been stuck at 400nits for 2 years on the monitor side. I expect this LG to probably be capable of 600-700 on a 10% window and it will also benefit from the improvements in boosting color volume from the latest MLA panel. The Asus version may hit 800nits and be the definitive version if you can wait / deal with the inevitable firmware issues.

I jumped on this because Asus is incompetent and incapable of releasing a working product. What does additional brightness matter when peoples skin tones are orange like on their 27" OLED or HDR just doesn't work right for over a year like the PG42UQ.

The MSI 32" QD-OLED went live on Amazon this morning but I missed it. I am waiting for it to come back so I can compare both side by side.

Well TFTCentral just reviewed the PG32UCDM and it looks like it has no issues when it comes to HDR performance anymore. I don't have access to the full review so I'm just repeating what others have said about it but so far it looks like all the previous issues with HDR aren't present on the 32UCDM. Regardless though, it's still locked to the same brightness levels as all the other QD OLED monitors which is a huge turn off for me. Anyways at this point I'm seriously tired of waiting so whichever model I can place an order on first whether it's the LG WOLED, MSI QD OLED, or Asus QD OLED, I'm just going to buy it and move on from all this.

Back