LG EA93 2560×1080 21:9 IPS with 4-way split screen function

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
LG press release

LG_E83_E93_01_5001.jpg

99% aRGB might be the only downside, but could this display offer bezeless 'multi-screen' gaming? will the odd resolution(s) be a problem? I can see the 21:9 ratio appealing to some gamers, particularly racing fans, but maybe it won't be so interesting for those who prefer three displays in portrait?

Last edited:
really nice form factor for gaming

i'd use it over triple 16:9 eyefinity any day
the latter is just way too wide
and 4 bezels aren't too nice as well

the monitor itself isn't interesting for me though with either a low quality ag coating or a 60hz lock

4x 640 x 1080? 640px doesn't seem enough. 2x 1280 x 1080 would be usable though.

Doesn't look like it's going to be tall enough to fill your FOV. Be nice for watching 2.35:1 aspect movies though. :)

I could see something like this being a replacement for eyefinity for some who want the wide experiences.

But I think it would need to be bigger, this is actually kind of small, it is only 11.3 inches of vertical screen. That is around 1.4 inches less than a 24" 16:10 screen.

I don't think it's wide enough for my taste.
When I was screwing around with custom resolutions, I needed 2560x900 to be able to see enough.
2560x1080 left me feeling blind. I wnet from being a console gamer to being a surround gamer when the TH2Go released.

Interesting concept but I agree that it's not wide enough (or tall enough for my taste) but any larger would have made it prohibitively expensive.

Awesome. 3x monitors seems like bezel-ed overkill. One extra wide monitor is enough for me :)

On top of that: IPS!

homer_drooling.gif

I'm intrigued by this thing, and am going to reserve judgment.

The problem with 1920x1080 is that it's a mediocre middle ground -- there isn't enough vertical resolution for decent portrait use, and their isn't enough horizontal resolution to manage two windows. 2560 width is wide enough, making this panel, from a productivity standpoint, worth about twice a standard FHD monitor.

The main variable is going to be price. This needs to come in at the $400-$500 range. Any more, and I'd just get a 27" 2560x1440.

I understand that it's not a productivity-oriented monitor, rather media consumption, but my two cents.

NB. This thing needs to be VESA mountable. I'd love to play around with one in portrait, just for kicks.

I wish it were a high-refresh panel instead, but I can understand why IPS would be the logical choice for a display like this. Hope it's successful.

Thanks for the info on the VESA mounts -- it's good to see. I'm never confident with LG or Samsung that VESA will be an option, and I didn't take the time to look.

This panel will be just under 27" wide, and just over 11 inches tall. It's more than an inch wider than a 30", and 4.5 inches shorter. It's going to present some novel ergonomic challenges and opportunities.

If it's marginally cheaper than a 1440, I really might bite.

I'm at IFA in Berlin, and LG shows the display there - made 5 pictures for you guys of it showing multiple excel sheets, windows 8 menu, movie and text file, bezel, and backside.

On backside it has DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI connectors, along with 2 USB 3.0 ports - it is confirmed, it has VESA mount holes, so can be hanged on wall.

As far as tech goes, LG people still say it's prototype, so they won't discuss price/speed. They just say it has typical IPS speed, but they may make it faster before release. Release date is, in Europe, Q1 2013.

What I also get from one of the LG Korean techs there is that it's 8-bit IPS panel, but somehow can be "overclocked" to 10-bit, but he didn't mention any further details, saying "it's prototype". It's unluckily :9 ratio, so no chance for :10.

Now short user experience - it's effing wide. You need some distance between it and chair, or you will feel like sitting in first row at movies. There were some problems with perfect reproduction of colors and letters, as letters at one of FB pages it was showing were kind of blurry. I asked about it, but the response was: "it's prototype". There was no ghosting with sliding the Win 8 menu around, and no ghosting at movie trailers, but there was no games, so won't tell you how it works for gaming. And 3 of those in Eyefinity? Would be a blast :)

Now few pictures:

So it's a 29 inch display. I am not totally against that ratio, but why not get a 2560x1440 or 1600 instead?

So it's a 29 inch display. I am not totally against that ratio, but why not get a 2560x1440 or 1600 instead?

2560x1440 = 16:9
2560x1600 = 16:10

They already make those panels. This is more of a media centric display.
Though as a user of 30" monitors, I would have liked to see this display much bigger, and a higher resolution would have been nice, but this is mostly so 1080p content can be shown natively as well as upscale 1920x800 video content to the right aspect ratio.

Since the Nixeus Vue is now $499 (right after I bought a video card that can support the 1440p resolution), I'm just going to wait for the EA93. I sure hope it's in the market soon below $500.

(Or else I'm buying a 1440p monitor from eBay)

Currently using a native 1080p projector doing an 120" projection from across the room.

the idea is reverse: this format shines not at bezeless widescreen gaming, but at 5x1 portrait mode, since it has almost 1/3 less pixels to drive than 1440p. Vega recently tried 3x1 and 5x1 gaming at 1440p@120Hz. No video card combination reached 120+fps. With 3x 2560x1080p@120Hz ou 5x 2560x1080p it may be possible to play 120fps+ using TRI-SLI or quad fire.

Back