LG introduces 5 new widescreen LCD monitors

Kast

n00b
LG's got 5 new LCD monitors for you, and you, and you...

Posted Jan 5th 2007 12:31PM by Thomas Ricker
Filed under: Displays, Gaming
More from LG; this time monitors, the LCD flagship kind, dig? Five "Certified for Windows Vista" widescreen LCDs in fact, ranging from 19 to 24-inches and all designed under the governance of Microsoft's Industrial Design Toolkit. Great, that gives an idea of what they might look like but a few pictures not to mention pixel resolutions would have been useful, donchathink LG? Anyway, the 19-inch (L196WTQ-WF), 20-inch (L206WTQ-WF), 22-inch (L226WTQ-WF and L226WA-WF) are all considered top-end LG models so you'll get a 2-ms response, 3000:1 contrast, 170-degree viewing angle, and a DVI input with HDCP for high-def video playback in Vista -- yeah, they include RGB too naturally. They also feature LG's f-ENGINE image processing chip further blurring the lines dividing television v. monitor use for gaming and PCs. In fact, the 22-inch (L226WA-WF) positions itself nicely into the niche by sporting an unspecified range of AV-inputs. The 24-inch FLATRON L246WP goes a step further by offering a 1920x1200 panel resolution, 1000:1 contrast, 8-ms response, HDMI and component inputs. No word on pricing or release date which is right on par for this announcement.

http://announcements.engadget.com/2007/01/05/lgs-got-5-new-lcd-monitors-for-you-and-you-and-you/

Now all we need is the damn release dates because I just sold my 19" Eizo TFT and I'm stuck with my prehistoric Sony G200 CRT. Make it happen LG. Also the article doesn't specify the differences between L226WTQ-WF and L226WA-WF (except the inputs mention). I'm really interested about these two.

I know the 22' will be a TN panel, but any chance that the 20' will be an S-IPS?

Yeah some pics would also be nice. If I knew they had a new 20.1" coming out soon I wouldn't have bought the L204WT.

Why are they keep on saturating us with mediocre 24" monitors?? How about someone bold enough and release a 2ms 24" LCD?? Enough with the 6ms to 8ms for 24" LCD!

Why are they keep on saturating us with mediocre 24" monitors?? How about someone bold enough and release a 2ms 24" LCD?? Enough with the 6ms to 8ms for 24" LCD!

A 2ms 24" panel with current technology would certainly qualify as "medicore". Faster is not always better..

Not much that can really be done about this right now... they could use TN panels, which would increase the response time, but then you'd get worse color and poorer viewing angles. It would be faster, sure, but I'd definitely consider it a step backwards, not an improvement. For the moment, I'm content just knowing that more companies are starting to offer 24 inch models, as all of the existing ones seem to have some type of problem or flaw.

By the way, anyone know the likelihood that the larger LG monitors will be available in retail stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)? I'd really like to look at these monitors in person and be able to return it if I don't like it without the hassle of shipping.

By the way, anyone know the likelihood that the larger LG monitors will be available in retail stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc)? I'd really like to look at these monitors in person and be able to return it if I don't like it without the hassle of shipping.

Exactly !! I am sick of all these "announcements" from LG and BenQ,and then a month or
3 later I go to BB or Future Shop and find none of them on display..... :mad: And then of course the CSR's know jack shit,when you start rattling off model names...

"226WT" whats that ?? "Well sir,we do carry gateway and HP,and Sceptre" :rolleyes:

Exactly !! I am sick of all these "announcements" from LG and BenQ,and then a month or
3 later I go to BB or Future Shop and find none of them on display..... :mad: And then of course the CSR's know jack shit,when you start rattling off model names...

"226WT" whats that ?? "Well sir,we do carry gateway and HP,and Sceptre" :rolleyes:

I agree, it's pretty freaking annoying not releasing release dates. I mean c'mon I want to buy a new LCD, should I have to wait or buy something else? Damnit LG, if you're gonna announce something announce it the right way. Are there any LG representatives we could contact via email to help us with this situation?

be like me, buy a westy 37in and be happy. I hate waiting and went big real big. couldnt be happier and i only paid 1050 shipped.

I'm only concerned with one thing here - input lag.

It'd be nice if the manufacturers would actually tell us what it is, so we aren't surprised later on. Then again, the day that happens pigs would be flying as well, we'd probably be distracted.

I'm only concerned with one thing here - input lag.

It'd be nice if the manufacturers would actually tell us what it is, so we aren't surprised later on. Then again, the day that happens pigs would be flying as well, we'd probably be distracted.

i so agree with that.

i hope ALL review sites actually make it part of their process to test input lag.

I noticed that in the last 5 months that I was looking for new monitor. I would go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Max etc. and see the same model monitors. There would be a row of yellowish TN beasts showing a cheesy sunset and then a couple sorta nice Samsungs, Gateways and HP's (showing the same cheesy sunset). Circuit City and Best Buy both had NEC 20WMGX2 on their website but they never had them on display. After checking 12 Best Buys in my area I finally found one an hour away in the next state (I knew it was destiny when I saw monitor on display and it showed a nice photo of close-up of drop of water on a spring rose - no cheesy sloe gin fizz sunset).

I notice too that in reviews certain makers get away with all sorts of crap and others get flayed for a more minor flaw (real or imagined). After I built my C2D unit I thought getting a minitor would be easy. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a Dell lottery. Hah on me.

i so agree with that.

i hope ALL review sites actually make it part of their process to test input lag.

And 1:1 pixel mapping. I was checking 225BW out and couldn't find if it had 1:1 pixel mapping although I had skimmed through 4 different reviews. Anyway I'll try to contact LG today. Maybe they'll know something we don't about release dates.

And 1:1 pixel mapping. I was checking 225BW out and couldn't find if it had 1:1 pixel mapping although I had skimmed through 4 different reviews. Anyway I'll try to contact LG today. Maybe they'll know something we don't about release dates.
I completely agree. I'm so sick of reading reviews that praise monitors and give them perfect scores even after it's been made clear on forums such as these that not all inputs work properly or there's no aspect ratio control. Half of the reviews just seem to quote the paper specs ("it has so many different inputs, which are useful for connecting many devices!" :rolleyes:) when it's obvious that they haven't actually tested anything beyond DVI input.

From the specification page for the 24 inch (link):

Input terminals: USB 2.0, 1 up /2 Down, D-Sub, HDMI
A/V out: PC Audio Out, Component (Video Only)

Am I reading missing something, or is this saying that this monitor only has 1 VGA and 1 HDMI input, but it has component output? I assume this has got to be a typo, and they really meant component inputs, right? I'm also a little disappointed that this monitor doesn't have two digital inputs, at least DVI + HDMI so you could connect two devices digitally simultaneously.

The new 20 inch monitor from LG l206wt (ugh just bought l204wt :() says this in specs: "Intelligent Auto (Auto Resolution)"

Is that like aspect scaling or what?

Back