LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

OK, lucky to you both... 4 of 6 of l204wt has bad pixels or defects in this thread now, so i've decided to keep my current one as there is just a dark pixel at corner, because i don't know if i will be that lucky for next exchanged one... by the way, i know i'm not a monitor savvy, just want to let you all know at, i've never seen a monitor can display white so white and black so black like this one! it's really amazing!! :cool:

travbomb said:
Thats kind of a silly statement because everyone monitor company out there uses Samsung, LG-Phillips, or AUO panels. This goes to show that there is a lot more that goes into a monitor than the panel which includes what company constructs it.

That's kind of a silly statement, since the complaints about that monitor were about the panels coating, the screen door effect, and the dead pixels alot of people had. So primarily the panel. So using your analogy. "LG doesn't built crap like Dell", as far as the 2001FP was concerned, the people that thought it was crap, were complaining about the part LG supplied.

Dells buisness plan has no more than 7 hours worth of stock in inventory, do you really think that Dell builds monitors ? pffft ! They may specify the frame,base, and required inputs to the monitors, but that's about it.

FragMagnet said:
That's kind of a silly statement, since the complaints about that monitor were about the panels coating, the screen door effect, and the dead pixels alot of people had. So primarily the panel. So using your analogy. "LG doesn't built crap like Dell", as far as the 2001FP was concerned, the people that thought it was crap, were complaining about the part LG supplied.

Dells buisness plan has no more than 7 hours worth of stock in inventory, do you really think that Dell builds monitors ? pffft ! They may specify the frame,base, and required inputs to the monitors, but that's about it.

What you are forgetting is that they specify the panel grade they want to use also. Dell is more than likely willing to take the panels with imperfections since they are cheaper where as NEC and LG pay the extra cost for the A grade panels, hence why their monitors with the same panels dont have these problems.

You are right that Dell just specs something out to whoever and lets them build it. that is probably part of the problem too, since I am sure outsources to whoever charges the least amount of money.

FragMagnet said:

Sorry, but 2x07 has problems which another monitors with same panel doesn't have. Dell's choice to put faulty faroujda and so on...

travbomb said:
What you are forgetting is that they specify the panel grade they want to use also. Dell is more than likely willing to take the panels with imperfections since they are cheaper where as NEC and LG pay the extra cost for the A grade panels, hence why their monitors with the same panels dont have these problems.

You are right that Dell just specs something out to whoever and lets them build it. that is probably part of the problem too, since I am sure outsources to whoever charges the least amount of money.

If that's the case, then why do so many of these new LG204WT's have bad pixels ? That would be risky for Dell to do, as for 30 days after it arrives, they will o-night air you a new one at their cost, and at the end of 30 days, you can send it back on their nickel, and receive 100% of your $ back. It's the best warranty I've seen to date on LCD's. Doesn't make sense that they would spec inferior panels with that kinda warranty. Now I'm not saying Dell is the best LCD panel out there, but there's a huge range between crap panels, and a perfect panel. I responded to the person who said they are "Crap", which is far from being even close to accurate.

FragMagnet said:
If that's the case, then why do so many of these new LG204WT's have bad pixels ? That would be risky for Dell to do, as for 30 days after it arrives, they will o-night air you a new one at their cost, and at the end of 30 days, you can send it back on their nickel, and receive 100% of your $ back. It's the best warranty I've seen to date on LCD's. Doesn't make sense that they would spec inferior panels with that kinda warranty. Now I'm not saying Dell is the best LCD panel out there, but there's a huge range between crap panels, and a perfect panel. I responded to the person who said they are "Crap", which is far from being even close to accurate.

But also keep in mind that in order for Dell to sell a monitor for as cheap as they do they can not afford the best panels out there. With how much product they push they can afford to do returns at no cost. A lot of people will also not send something back because they see it as a hassle too so that creates a huge advantage for dell in building cheaper and banking on people not returning.

travbomb said:
But also keep in mind that in order for Dell to sell a monitor for as cheap as they do they can not afford the best panels out there. With how much product they push they can afford to do returns at no cost. A lot of people will also not send something back because they see it as a hassle too so that creates a huge advantage for dell in building cheaper and banking on people not returning.

Well to each their own. I'd rather make a phone call and open the front door, than load it up into the car and stand in line waiting at the store, just to argue with the clerk.

Those who have the Lg L204TW what are the best settings for animes because I find the Movie option in the menu to bright a little to watch anime with subtitles...thx

Spike Spiegel said:
Those who have the Lg L204TW what are the best settings for animes because I find the Movie option in the menu to bright a little to watch anime with subtitles...thx

The Movie option will set brightness & phase to 100%. I found 75% is perfect for mine already. Oh ~ my ~ god!, this monitor is great!!! (still, not perfect because the dead pixel...)

Well, after 2 full days all i can say is i'm very very impressed. I always stayed away from lcd's cause i hated the ghosting, found the fact that only the native resolution of the monitor looked good annoying. I bought this for no good reason, i had a CRT i loved, it was more out of curiosity. After two hours my CRT took the backbench, now it's not even in the same room as the LCD.

My only complaints about the LCD at this point is the automatic scalling which i can't seem to turn off. also i find the base not stiff enough (i.e. if i type to fast, gets the desk moving, then the lcd shakes around..)

Oh, and after 8 years of 120+hz CRT smoothness, i can't complain about ghosting, i see none in my games

Druneau said:
Well, after 2 full days all i can say is i'm very very impressed. I always stayed away from lcd's cause i hated the ghosting, found the fact that only the native resolution of the monitor looked good annoying. I bought this for no good reason, i had a CRT i loved, it was more out of curiosity. After two hours my CRT took the backbench, now it's not even in the same room as the LCD.

My only complaints about the LCD at this point is the automatic scalling which i can't seem to turn off. also i find the base not stiff enough (i.e. if i type to fast, gets the desk moving, then the lcd shakes around..)

Oh, and after 8 years of 120+hz CRT smoothness, i can't complain about ghosting, i see none in my games

thanks for the info. i am getting more interested in this LCD. does anyone know a USA shop that sells it yet?

I checked out the monitor today at future shop and it does look pretty solid and very nice for $369 cdn. Unfortunately there are not many menu options and I didn't see any manual options for aspect ratio's like 1:1, fill or aspect. This is only really an issue for Xbox 360 users who play on there monitor as the computer can handle aspect modes on its own. Can any owners confirm that there are no aspect modes on VGA? I ask because I'm pretty sure the display model was using DVI.

overwhelming said:
WHERE could I purchase this int he states??? :(

ive been checking daily on google but no go... if someone could provide an update it would be much appreciated. perhaps on LG website.

JohnleMVP said:
I checked out the monitor today at future shop and it does look pretty solid and very nice for $369 cdn. Unfortunately there are not many menu options and I didn't see any manual options for aspect ratio's like 1:1, fill or aspect. This is only really an issue for Xbox 360 users who play on there monitor as the computer can handle aspect modes on its own. Can any owners confirm that there are no aspect modes on VGA? I ask because I'm pretty sure the display model was using DVI.
Nice, I am going to Toronto on aug 20th. I guess I shall stop by at Futureshop!

Ah yes, we have this at my work. (Best Buy) it's defintly very sexy. :)

actually i plan on being near canada pretty soon....im seriously considering picking one up and selling it at cost +25%

dclam said:
actually i plan on being near canada pretty soon....im seriously considering picking one up and selling it at cost +25%

unfortunately i may be the one who buys it... but im guessing the bidding will go quite higher.

well if you dont want to see it bid on i'm willing to sell it directly to you for cost + 35%

L204WT looks good for TN panel, can someone please post some pictures playing xbox 360 on it(or any pictures, dvds, etc).please

dclam said:

well, the cost here for canadian is "selling price + tax", the tax here in Vancouver is 13%, it could be higher in Toranto..., so, selling price x tax% x profit% / currency exange% = $369CND x 1.13 x 1.25 / 1.10 = $473.83USD, is that some price people there can accept?

Oh! yes! you are from US, you can get your tax refund! :)

It's a new generation TN 8 bit full 16.7 mil colors; that's why it is so good. Better than any PVA/MVA panels, and far cheaper than any IPS panel having an equivalent ms.

rblews said:
It's a new generation TN 8 bit full 16.7 mil colors; that's why it is so good. Better than any PVA/MVA panels, and far cheaper than any IPS panel having an equivalent ms.

Rarely will i defend PVA but there are a lot of S-PVA panels out there that will be better than this new generation TN with 8 bit.

As you stated though IPS is the best

FLATRON 20-inch LCD Monitor (Model L204WT):

Gamers, graphic artists and multimedia enthusiasts alike will gravitate towards the L204WT because of its healthy offering of display features. With a 5ms response time, 2,000:1 contrast ratio, 300cd/m2 brightness and slim design, the L204WToffers a powerful display capable of handling the most graphically intense games, as well as editing the family’s favorite photos. The L204WTis also equipped with LG’s proprietary f¬-ENGINE Plus technology. Available in August at $549 manufacturer’s suggested retail price.

http://us.lge.com/aboutus/pressdetail/detail/press_TV|Audio|Video_290.jhtml

I think $549 is too much for a TN panel, hope it comes out alot cheaper($350)
Anyone with this monitor please post some pictures Thank You

LostStorm said:
I think $549 is too much for a TN panel, hope it comes out alot cheaper($350)
Anyone with this monitor please post some pictures Thank You

nothing ever sells for MSRP... so we should see it quite a bit cheaper than that. Hopefully we get it for the Canadian price (~330 US dollars) or better since there's more shops here . regardless, i cant wait for august, just a few more days.

pfffff aaaahahaha

okay, that settles it. I'm DEFINATELY going to canada.

Archonius said:
nothing ever sells for MSRP... so we should see it quite a bit cheaper than that. Hopefully we get it for the Canadian price (~330 US dollars) or better since there's more shops here . regardless, i cant wait for august, just a few more days.

well there may be a solution

step one: print out the sell page from futureshop and bring it with you to your local store

step two: Express interest in buying the l204wt with a store warranty package (this part is key) and attract the attention of a salesman

step three: now repeat after me, word for word : "oh, youre selling it for this much? jesus i'd really like to get it from you guys for convenience, but that convenience isn't worth an extra 150 bucks. (indicate to sheet) Maybe if you were willing to come down to match the price i'd reconsider, but otherwise i'm walking out the door"

step four: watch the salesman do everything in his power to keep you inside with your wallet out

dclam said:
well there may be a solution

step one: print out the sell page from futureshop and bring it with you to your local store

step two: Express interest in buying the l204wt with a store warranty package (this part is key) and attract the attention of a salesman

step three: now repeat after me, word for word : "oh, youre selling it for this much? jesus i'd really like to get it from you guys for convenience, but that convenience isn't worth an extra 150 bucks. (indicate to sheet) Maybe if you were willing to come down to match the price i'd reconsider, but otherwise i'm walking out the door"

step four: watch the salesman do everything in his power to keep you inside with your wallet out

why is store warranty package the key? because it makes the increased cost seem even higher, ie the 'extra 150 bucks'??

ValeX said:
[img=http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/9384/p1010213yb9.th.jpg]

"Yes!" For images. I'll sell this one for 600USD + shipping. no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding.....gotta tell me today if you want it so I can ship it before I go on holidays

ValeX

very classy setup. I like it.

Just purchased a Samsung 931BF LCD at Best Buy in Illinois $285 out the door 2ms 2000:1 DVI and anolog Saturday is the last day of circular sale. :) Just analog cable no DVI has to be purchased separately.

Archonius said:
why is store warranty package the key? because it makes the increased cost seem even higher, ie the 'extra 150 bucks'??
No, because salesmen in major electronics stores get a bonus for whenever someone isgns up for an extraneous warranty. The trick is to show interest and then change your mind "last minute" at the register so that way the sales guy doesn't fuck you over by feeding you some shit about it "not being in stock" or likewise not wanting to help you. The incentive to lower the price for the customer exists only if the guy is getting something out of it. He could give a fuck if best buy doesn't make as much of a profit on this one sale, so long as he gets his extra bonus for selling another warranty program.

Engine126 said:
Just purchased a Samsung 931BF LCD at Best Buy in Illinois $285 out the door 2ms 2000:1 DVI and anolog Saturday is the last day of circular sale. :) Just analog cable no DVI has to be purchased separately.

Unfortunately it uses a TN panel and that contrast is Dynamic and not typical.

Back