LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

Both monitors have dynamic 3000:1 contrast
but static contrast is 700:1 vs LG's 1000:1 i believe!

Could someone confirm this?

Nope, both the 226BW and L226WT are stated to have 1000:1 static and 3000:1 dynamic. The spec sheet is here. Both panels are listed with identical brightness, contrast ratios, response time, viewing angles, and number of colors. No one has done a head to head comparison yet, or even seem both from what I've gathered. I guess I am gonna have to take a trip out to Best Buy and Circuit City this weekend, and hope that I can see both.

The L226WT is one of the displays that I am considering purchasing. I have never owned a widescreen display, so my question is what happens if I play a game that does not offer a widescreen resolution (e.g. 1280x1024), how will that look on the L226WT? I know that without 1:1 pixel mapping, it will "zoom" the image to fill the display vertically. But what I want to know is will it also stretch the image horizinally, thus altering the aspect ratio? What I want to happen is for the game to just have "black bars" on the left and right sides, but the aspect ratio to be unchanged.

The L226WT manual does not mention a way to select 4:3 vs. widescreen. In contrast, the Samsung 215BW (another contender for my $$$) does. Is this something I can set in video driver? It seems to me that some people would want the image stretched horizonally, and others (like me) would not, so this should be a user-settable preference.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question. :)

Mofongo

The only option like that in my laptop's ATI FireGL card's plethora of choices is "Scale image to panel size": on/off. It looks like I either get my choice of 1:1 mapping, or I get something else that I am not completely sure of: it will either be scaled maintaining 4:3, or be scaled independently in both directions. Does anyone else have an ATI card?

I might try plugging my officemate's VX2025m into my laptop when he's not looking, just to see. :)

Mofongo

I work at Best Buy in the comps dept and one thing I will say is if you have a good store and the CS Employees and Geek Squad Agents are cool the warranties on this stuff isn't a bad idea. Its not crazy expensive and at my store in Cali at least they are really cool about stretching the limits to fix, replace or exchange items like this if it isnt ends up not working out for you.

As far as the monitor itself I purchased it the night it arrived at the store and I must admit to find a 3000:1 5ms response 22in monitor at its retail price is tough. Little known fact is LG is manufactured by Samsung so its in essence a Samsung quality monitor.

The F-Engine is awesome, turn the gamma setting off and your set the auto set feature works well and put the monitor at the recommended setting and everything is beautiful. No ugly stretching from any programs or games and the digital input looks great as well. No complaints here, definitely not for the cost vs quality of most monitors in the 22 - 24 in range.

here's a pic of the backlight bleed

it links to the higher res jpg.

the colors are washed out unless u adjust the gamma, or the birghtness contrast ...

its so tough, the Dell 2407WFP I have at work is so kick ass, I come back home and just get disapointed.

Little known fact is LG is manufactured by Samsung so its in essence a Samsung quality monitor.

??!! This is a "little known fact" because it's not true. The LG L226WT has the LG-Philips LCD LM220WE1 panel and the Samsung 225BW has the Samsung Semiconductor LTM220M1.

I suppose it's possible that they may occasionally buy one another's panels for some of their models (although I do not personally know of a model for which this is true), or that possible sometime in the past LG bought panels from Samsung. But certainly almost all (if not all) LG and Philips branded LCD displays on sale today have panels manufactured by LG-Philips LCD, and almost all (if not all) Samsung branded LCD displays have panels manufactured by Samsung Semiconductor. Period.

Sadly, it's this kind of disinformation I have come to expect from the Big Box stores.

Mofongo

sadly my pathetic puny human eyes needed the extra inches on that res, I wouldn't have bought this LG if they had somehow pumped 1920x1200 into it

that samsung seems like it's more or around the 2407WFP's price range ... is that $799MSRP tru?

Thanks for the pics! Hey, is there a way on your camera to set the exposure time to exactly 0.25 seconds? According to the EXIF header, yours is 0.71 sec which is very long and more likely to show some sort of bleed (you can always show backlight bleed by making the exposure time long enough).

A good way of roughly capturing "real world" backlight bleed is setting the brightness to 75% and taking the exposure for 1/4th second. This would allow direct comparison to the 226BW backlight picture (which shows absolutely no backlight bleed at all).

Thanks!

Mofongo

the colors are washed out unless u adjust the gamma, or the birghtness contrast ...

its so tough, the Dell 2407WFP I have at work is so kick ass, I come back home and just get disapointed.

The bleed isnt that bad on that LCD you have.But I agree to work on the 2407 and then come home to that,is a downgrade;but,for peeps who dont or cant spend the coin,its a nice screen all the same.Lack of hieght adjustment,limited connectors,and size kills it for me.

Thanks for the pics! Hey, is there a way on your camera to set the exposure time to exactly 0.25 seconds?

hmm, I have ISO speed, 100/200/400 ... prob faster right?

I know nothing of photography, sorry ... thats the only option I see for shutter speed tho.

hmm, I have ISO speed, 100/200/400 ... prob faster right?

I know nothing of photography, sorry ... thats the only option I see for shutter speed tho.

Huh...looks like I can't set the exposure time on my Canon Elph, either. Dang. ISO just determines the sensitivity of the light detector in the camera (analogous to the ISO rating of film). Your picture was taken at 200 ISO, according to the EXIF header, which is a reasonable setting for dark rooms in a non-fancy-professional camera. I don't know a whole lot about photography beyond that, either. I just know that the pictures I have looked at on the web for backlight bleed have been around 1/8th to 1/4th second exposures (isn't EXIF info great?).

Oh well...I am not sure what else to try. Is the picture that you took kind of sort of what it looks like to you in real life?

Thanks for the effort.

Mofongo

can you guys post some 360 pics on this monitor and images from viewing a dvd on the computer? 360 vga cable pics with res of 1280x720 and 1280x1024 would be nice. I'm interested to see how good it looks stretched. If it looks good enough, I will probably buy this screen.

I'm dying for info on the L226wa. im hoping for hdmi and component. swedish sites list it has both but is it coming tothe us soon?

I thought only these two are coming to Sweden:
L226WT-SF 22" WIDE,3000:1, 5MS,DVI
L226WTQ-WF 22" WIDE,3000:1,2MS,DVI

According to LG helpdesk in Sweden, the only difference is 2ms versus 5 ms.

I have not seen the "WA" anywhere... At what site did you see it?

I don't have a 360, sorry, who needs a console when u have a PC? :p

man, just played some more WoW, it makes me love this LCD, REALLY love it. I'd say WoW is the most colorful game out, and it looks vivid.

Yeah, the backlight is very close to that in real life, the center is dark, but the bottom and top give off obvious bleed. it hasn't bothered me yet tho.

The F-Engine is awesome, turn the gamma setting off and your set the auto set feature works well and put the monitor at the recommended setting and everything is beautiful. No ugly stretching from any programs or games and the digital input looks great as well. No complaints here, definitely not for the cost vs quality of most monitors in the 22 - 24 in range.

No ugly stretching means that the monitor has some sort of automatic "keep aspect ratio" function? Please reply to this I really want to know.

No ugly stretching means that the monitor has some sort of automatic "keep aspect ratio" function? Please reply to this I really want to know.

Me two i would like the answer to this question.

I think he is talking about the EZ zoom which just shrinks the rez to 1280 x something. It looks nice at a non native res compared to other LCDs I guess. idk ... I'm really just talkin out my ass.

I've had mine for a few days now and I really like it. I also bought an LG L1732TQ as my secondary monitor. Sure, there is some backlight bleed, but it doesn't bother me. Of course, I bought two LCD montors to replace one 19" CRT that I've had for 4 years. Maybe I'm not as particular as some of the others here because I haven't had an LCD monitor before I bought these.

Again, these are my first LCDs, so I'm still adjusting the settings on both monitors, so the images are a bit rough. I'm also not a good photographer, so the picture I'm posting doesn't do either monitor justice. The 17-inch monitor is currently running analog because Best Buy was out of DVI cables, but the picture still looks great.

1111101bw7.jpg

also could someone post some xbox 360 pictures using this monitor? that would be amazing, thats these 2 questions are all i needed answered before i decide whether to buy this screen or not.

If you play an old game like starcraft or use an xbox 360 on the vga connection.. does it just stretch the image to fill the entire screen?

Please forgive my NOOBness with this issue.

IF :D I understand this correctly, 1:1 pixel mapping means a 640x480 video will NOT be automatically stretched to fill the entire screen on a monitor in its native resolution. It will simply play that video at the smaller size and it will appear as a smaller square or rectangle within the screen. However, it might be distorted a little if the aspect ratio of the monitor is different that that of the video.

Am I close? If not, please correct me.

IF :D I understand this correctly, 1:1 pixel mapping means a 640x480 video will NOT be automatically stretched to fill the entire screen on a monitor in its native resolution. It will simply play that video at the smaller size and it will appear as a smaller square or rectangle within the screen. However, it might be distorted a little if the aspect ratio of the monitor is different that that of the video.

you're right

It's more like what option you use, it can also be a 1:1 stretch to the edge whit black bars, to keep aspect ratio.
What you mentioned you can make also by the video drivers, but if you use xbox you need a monitor that suports it.

It's more like what option you use, it can also be a 1:1 stretch to the edge whit black bars, to keep aspect ratio.
What you mentioned you can make also by the video drivers, but if you use xbox you need a monitor that suports it.

I'm checking my video card right now and it's giving me the option of:

2. When using a resolution lower than my display's native resolution...
* Use NVIDIA scaling
* Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio
**** Use my display's built-in scaling (what I have selected)
* Do not scale

My current resolution IS my native resolution of 1680x1050

If this is what is needed to check my monitor, what do I do now :confused:

Jej, my English is bad.
Don't know what you want to test. Xbox360 or windows games.

- "Use NVIDIA scaling" = stretch, as far as i remember (in my drivers there are different names for the scaling options than yours).

- "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" = stretch but keeps aspect ratio = black bars on the sides for 4:3 games and black bars on top and bottom for 16:9 xbox360 games.

- "Use my display's built-in scaling" = this also stretches simple (till the monitor don't supports more). If monitor supports 1:1 pixel scaling it can do all this options i think whitout drivers, needed for xbox360 as example, if you don't want to have the vertical stretch.

- "Do not scale" = possible centered output whit all around black, depends on resolution, how much will be black.

Every monitor should have all scalings but... they (Samsung) taken height adjustment from the 225BW on the 226BW away, shame, so they are making mistakes all the way :eek: .
I wrote it whit a broken English :rolleyes: :p , for more = Google.

I am too quite interested of this display. Had to register to this great forum!
This or Samsung226 will be my choice...unless there is a third option somewhere ;)

So few questions to the owners if you care to answer of course :D :

1. Is black really black?
2. When playing FPS or other games with dark game environment how does the display perform? Can you detect "details" in the game even thought there's little light?
3. Does games look streched or/and is it possible to tweak graphic-card/display settings to minimize streching so that it looks natural (wide)?

I'm not LG owner, yet :)
but what i can tell is
1. try looking at some photos showing backlight bleed on previous pages and other links there (looks quite good for me)
2. can't tell but 2ms/5ms should do fine it's TN not xVA
3.no / yes read about 1:1 scaling in this thread

Back