LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

anyone else have this monitor yet? we need some more pics like xbox 360 =]

Even after reading that translated article from that other thread... I wonder if the samsung difference is actually noticeable or not. If its not id still get the LG because the samsung screen just looks a lot uglier lol

can you guys post some more pics with backlight bleed? I wonder if one guy just got unlucky because those pictures from a few days ago were pretty bad

I'm checking my video card right now and it's giving me the option of:

2. When using a resolution lower than my display's native resolution...
* Use NVIDIA scaling
* Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio
**** Use my display's built-in scaling (what I have selected)
* Do not scale

My current resolution IS my native resolution of 1680x1050

If this is what is needed to check my monitor, what do I do now :confused:

If someone can give me an answer, I'll get you an answer on the 1:1 question :confused:

Well I went back to BB to buy the warrenty for the LG.
Firstly to the display section, then switched sources on the Samsung and LG.
The Display Models both shared the same barely noticable Top and Bottom Backlight bleed in the no signal mode. The Sammy seemed to have a blueish tinge to it.
Keeping the LG.

Still I can't find anything on the 3.3 to 5.9 performance increase in Vista.
Maybe its the increased native resolution.

So I've finally decided not to buy this monitor and to get the Samsung 226BW instead. From the pictures I've seen and the reviews I've read, the 226BW seems to take the cake. Here's a thread linking to a head on 22'' comparison.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1152548

just out of curiosity, where were these reviews that convined you? since i have not found a monitor roundup for the likes of the samsung and new LG monitors stacked up against each other and other older top performers.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

L226WT-BF

BAD PIXEL!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Upper right middle.

BLACK ON WHITE!!!!!!:mad:

WARRENTY TEST.:confused:

Steps for Base Neck Removal for the LG l226 WT-BF

There are four internal "claws" that grip inside the Neck mount that attach the flange
to the swivel base. Once snapped in place they can look impossible to remove.
A factory tool must exist to do this.

With a screwdriver you can pry one claw with the adjacent three remaining shut.
The fit is real tight with no play so no use to try to separate them sequentualy.

What I did was to cut up one of those junk mail credit cards length wise into four thin strips 1/8 wide, half the card was left over. toss it.

Pry the first claw and slip the 1/8 in plastic strip between the claw and neck.
Repeat the pry strip slip for the remaining three.

With the four strips in place pull the neck off with ease, "Click".

Ensure you have the packing bag around the monitor as you do this to keep from marring the black jewel surface and of course the panel screen itself.

Squish

Even after reading that translated article from that other thread... I wonder if the samsung difference is actually noticeable or not. If its not id still get the LG because the samsung screen just looks a lot uglier lol

got the same impression
couldn't stand the high glossy look and there's no silver version

Steps for Base Neck Removal for the LG l226 WT-BF

There are four internal "claws" that grip inside the Neck mount that attach the flange
to the swivel base. Once snapped in place they can look impossible to remove.
A factory tool must exist to do this.

With a screwdriver you can pry one claw with the adjacent three remaining shut.
The fit is real tight with no play so no use to try to separate them sequentualy.

What I did was to cut up one of those junk mail credit cards length wise into four thin strips 1/8 wide, half the card was left over. toss it.

Pry the first claw and slip the 1/8 in plastic strip between the claw and neck.
Repeat the pry strip slip for the remaining three.

With the four strips in place pull the neck off with ease, "Click".

Squish

I assume you did this in order to wall-mount or desk arm-mount the LG. If it is that difficult to take the stand off, was it difficult to mount your screen once you got it off the base?

do you guys think it'll be possible to use the best buy reward coupon 12% off on this lcd? the coupon expires 2/19/07 so hopefully they'll have them in stock before then.

I was able to use this Coupon yesterday for that Monitor( I love it by the way :) ) They did have to manually enter it but they considered it a TV so they manually took the 12% off.

Spookhunter, thanks for the review, couple of questions:

1. Any buzzing noise at low or medium brightness?
2. Any input lag compared to your other display?

Thanks

I've had mine for a few days now and I really like it. I also bought an LG L1732TQ as my secondary monitor. Sure, there is some backlight bleed, but it doesn't bother me. Of course, I bought two LCD montors to replace one 19" CRT that I've had for 4 years. Maybe I'm not as particular as some of the others here because I haven't had an LCD monitor before I bought these.

Again, these are my first LCDs, so I'm still adjusting the settings on both monitors, so the images are a bit rough. I'm also not a good photographer, so the picture I'm posting doesn't do either monitor justice. The 17-inch monitor is currently running analog because Best Buy was out of DVI cables, but the picture still looks great.

I used that coupon to get it 12% off also... Unforunately ive got a bright red dead pixel near the center of the screen so im going to try and return this and purchase it again. It's really annoying and when I watch a video my eyes go right to that dead pixel. Other then that though it really is a nice screen. The colors don't look good out of the box though and I'm still working on fixing those. Anyone have any good settings to post?

Hello All! This is my first post here! Nice Site.I bought the LG-L226WT at BB this weekend and so far totally happy with it.I was looking to compare it with samsungs 226 but BB didnt have it and circuit city only had the 225.There is some bleeding on the top and bottom!but not noticeable under normal viewing.Like others have said! I also turned down the gamma to min,for best picture.I did try to use the 12% coupon!but they wouldnt give it to me because monitors were not listed.Oh well! at least i got $10 off with another coupon and double points.I havent hooked up the DVI yet! Will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in pic quality.I am a gamer and currently playing Dark Messiah on this new monitor! Looks Nice.While i was at BB i was thinking of upgrading to vista!but steering away for now because of gaming issues with the new operating system.Hope to chat more! Take Care! Stan

I have since taken the LG display back to BB and got a full refund and ended up purchasing the Samsung 226WB display...

Samsung 226WB is better than the LG 226WT... hands down... I had used the LG display for about a week but got to the point where I couldn't stand the viewing angles...

The Samsung 226WB has better viewing angles... in fact the viewing angles are so good that I am starting to question whether or not this is a true TN display???

If you are looking to purchase either of these displays... the decision is simple... Samsung has the better display... it's cheaper, AND you get a DVI cable with it... nuff said

I have since taken the LG display back to BB and got a full refund and ended up purchasing the Samsung 226WB display...

Samsung 226WB is better than the LG 226WT... hands down... I had used the LG display for about a week but got to the point where I couldn't stand the viewing angles...

The Samsung 226WB has better viewing angles... in fact the viewing angles are so good that I am starting to question whether or not this is a true TN display???

If you are looking to purchase either of these displays... the decision is simple... Samsung has the better display... it's cheaper, AND you get a DVI cable with it... nuff said

i thought that the LG 226 was a TN and the 226BW was a PVA (and 8-bit) since it was a samsung panel hence the better viewing angles?

still i wonder how either of ithese newer monitors compare to viewsonic 2025wm, seeminlgy current non-ips widescreen choice, i think.

It's not really a bummer when according to all the reports you think it is a PVA or IPS when actually looking at the colors and the viewing angles and can't tell that it is a TN.

It's not really a bummer when according to all the reports you think it is a PVA or IPS when actually looking at the colors and the viewing angles and can't tell that it is a TN.

the Samsung 226 though, not the LG 226? (since they both seem to be using a very similar rated TN panel)

If you read through this thread and then the two major Samsung 226BW threads, people who have seen both screens mention that the LG, while a very solid screen and better than most other 22's, appears to have more backlight bleed and less impressive viewing angles than the Samsung. However, keep in mind that:

1. We have not yet seen any direct side-by-side reviews on any American sites.

2. Although the two or three forum members who have seen both and posted their impressions have written very thoughtful and careful comparisons, there are only two or three of them. While we can trust their feedback, we still don't know whether the perceived difference between the two panels will hold true over a much larger product sample.

If you read through this thread and then the two major Samsung 226BW threads, people who have seen both screens mention that the LG, while a very solid screen and better than most other 22's, appears to have more backlight bleed and less impressive viewing angles than the Samsung. However, keep in mind that:

1. We have not yet seen any direct side-by-side reviews on any American sites.

2. Although the two or three forum members who have seen both and posted their impressions have written very thoughtful and careful comparisons, there are only two or three of them. While we can trust their feedback, we still don't know whether the perceived difference between the two panels will hold true over a much larger product sample.

well let's hope to see a more professional english roundup with them included soon, i'd be interested in seeing how they stack up overall with some of the other top non-ips panels.

I'm very happy with this screen and the only time u can notice some backlight bleed is the black bars on dvd movies... but that part isnt even important anyway. The viewing angles seem very good to me. I have to return this monitor and get it again though because I have a really annoying red dead pixel near the center of the screen. Once I return this and get a flawless one I can get some pics up.

Also this monitor is very very nice for xbox 360. It looks really good.

anyone tried a ps3 with this monitor? Does it support 1:1 pixel mapping? 16:9 or 16:10?

I second this question. After all this time I hope a gamer got this monitor. Does it at least have a keep aspect ratio function or a 16:9 setting? Please help.

Guys,

1. I got the Chinese page which compares the 22" panels. The translation makes one laugh out hard, it's that goofy at times. However, goofs aside, one can make and idea or two about the two contenders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my mind the site is pushing the Sammy somewhat. For example, the contrast photos. Without dynamic contrast the LG seems to have less backlight "see through". However, with dynamic contrast on, the Sammy is completely black. If this is true, the question is how good the dynamic time constant is and what was the exposure time of the photoset. Then, colors. The evaluation says that all colors are uniform on the Sammy and that it has the least color ambiguities (that is the tendency towards yellowish and purple). This I cannot really ascertain, since my monitor is not so trustworthy colorwise(Samsung Syncmaster 151V).

2. L226WA. I got only German and Austrian sites as far as its availability. What attracts me to it is of course HDMI. Why other manufacturers do not include this
standard in their 22ers is beyond my comprehension. Well, not quite. For ex. Vewsonic has at least 3 models, among them the VG2230 especially well praised, but it doesn't even come with HDCP. So now, if one bought one at Newegg because of the price cut offered around the past holiday period, tough. I can mull myself through the German text and understand the terms, but the presentation is not even superficial.

Any thoughts?

hi guys

I paid $436 after taxes for this monitor at BestBuy, i was planning on using the 12% off coupon, but they would not take it.
My dad purchased a Viewsonic VG2230wm on newegg for $319. I think it looks better than the LG. However, i cannot do a comparison because my dad is 3 hours away and I came over here for the weekend.

I was browsing newegg, and noticed the Chimei and Acer 22"ers are a little under $300, they also use the same TN panel as the viewsonic, apparently.
So should i take back the LG and get a much cheaper monitor? or should i play with the settings on the LG and see if i can get myself a better picture?

Also, my dad does not have any games, so i cannot test the gaming picture, i'm basing this solely on internet browsing and the desktop image quality. Battlefield 2 and WoW look quite good on the LG, but i don't know if i'd notice any difference by going with a cheaper monitor. Any input?

Hi Pysch! Try turning the gamma setting to Min.I find a pretty big improvement in pic quality by doing this.I also read that chinese compare on the diff 22" monitors and also got the feeling of samsung favortism.So far the LG monitor is preforming well.I also have an Lg 50" plasma which hasnt had any problems in the year ive had it which helped me steer toward getting the LG-L226.The backlight bleeding is alittle annoying at times in a very dark room but I have yet to see any 22" monitor without any bleeding.Take care all! Stan

This deserves the "most practical post" Award; Samsung "is" trying to give us what we want. I consider the TN an advantage for it's price and performance. Pls, no need to post additional arguments against it because of my opinion, I am well aware of what they are.

The only thing the manufacturers need to do now to "give us what we want" is:

1. Stands that are nicer-looking/more sleek (think Dell), and are actually fully adjustable. I'll accept a $10 increase in price for that alone.

2. Keep signal aspect ratio/1-1 pixel mapping. How much would this cost the manufacturers? pennies? Give me a break. Every LCD should have this capability; come on, I'm not even asking for HDMI and composite inputs, just a laughably easy firmware tweak.

Psych,

I need more from you about the VX2230wm vs. the LG. Today I went to BB and found it on the exposition rack with another 30 or so monitors, all connected to the same VGA source and displaying a slew of presentation static images. And, by the way, none of the chains around DC that I visit has any of their displayed monitors connected digitally. None of the monitors seemed to be calibrated. Even the Sammy 204T and 215WT were not perfectly clear and the colors were a bit washed out. Some of the monitors which evidently didn't have the great panels of the 204T and 215WT were even more washed out. Curiously enough, the 22" Westinghouse looked pretty good, though when it came to a pure blue image the round center contour was a lot better lit than the remaining 4 corners (they were like concave non-Euclidean triangles). Of course, none of the images was black, so no one could see the degree of bleeding. There, probably, the 204T and 215WT would render superior bleeding characteristics.

In conclusion, I was not very impressed by the LG 226WT because it wasn't showing any differences with the other TN monitors. One thing I definitely didn't like was the stand which always remains at an at least 4" height off the table. I'd like to see it in a really propicious technical setting and calibrated. None of the monitors in the store (or any other BB I visited) connected to individial computers was calibrated either. So what to do? How to make management do their job? True, > 85% of the public could care less about real color, bleeding or smooth transitions between gray levels. But those of us who care would like better in-store viewing and testing conditions.

Sylva.

Back