LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

Just wanted to add that we are becoming a bit indulgent with durability. I have a totally obsolete SyncMaster 151v (LCD) for the past 4 years. No dead pixels or any other phenomenon of this nature and it displays images just like when I took it out of the box. It's a TN and it exhibits all of the older TNs' problems. Slow response, colors fairly good but not smooth and of course, terrible X bleeding on darker colors. Terrible movie rendering and absolutely impossible game imagery. But it's been rock solid as far as dependability. Why do the new monitors croak or pixelate after a few month? QC really sucks. We the consumer let manufacturers get away with it. You have a dead pixel, you send it back for exchange, period.

Good Questions Sylva! I guess ive been lucky with reliablity so far.All my previous monitors stood well without any problems.Before i got the LG L226 i had a 19"lcd Mag (using now with my secondary computer).Have you ever asked anyone at BB about comparing a few with a Dvi signal? Never hurts to ask.Do some research online on the monitors you like.It will be hard to find much except the sales pitches with the new ones out.I havent seen any reviews yet for the new lg and sammy.You seem to have good knowledge on the Technology.Give it your best shot!take one home and if its not up to par!Return it.I think the L226 looks great to me except for some bleeding on the top and bottom.Its hard to tell how severe it really is except for side by side comparing.I have to beleave most or all 22" LCD monitors with tn panels have some leakage.I have used my Dell XPS lap top with my 50" LG plasmia TV!Nice pic!but i dont use that much for the worry of burn-in.I think a plasma monitor for the computer would be great!No backlight bleeding and perfect uniform picture.But burn-in might be an issue.Good luck in finding a good monitor. Stan!!

One store that better for looking at monitors is Compusa. They have some of the monitors hooked up to individual computers and don't mind if you fiddle with them. At the others stores just ask. They want to sell you things, so I'm sure if you're insistent they'll help.

stanleyjohn I fully understand your reluctance to use the plasma as a computer monitor. It's too expensive for such heavy usage. One problem with the plasma is that it's a power hog. It's not only expensive to feed, but because of the extensive heat it generates, it hogs itself. By this I mean heat taxes the very materials that generate it, so in time the materials degrade and then break, just as electronic tubes used to do in yesteryear's radio equipment (anode hogging). Computer monitors being LCDs generate a lot less heat, therefore they're more durable, that is, they should be more durable. Problem is manufacturers look for inexpensive materials. This is why pixelation occurs. True, the density of the panel increases with resolution, so more transistors are crammed into the same surface, resulting in more heat generation. In final analysis the main enemy of all semiconductor based equipment is heat, heat and again, heat. And once you're in the 24"+ category heat begins to count again, though not as badly as for plasma.

I read somewhere (forgot where) that there is some new technology that helps alleviate burn-in.

Sylva.

Hi guys,

I need 2 buy a 22" monitor but I have a few questions before I purchase one. Is the LG L226WT better than the Dell E228WFP? If it is, could anyone please tell me any shops that ship items 2 Australia and stock the L226WT.

Thanks in advance.

Just to let you guys know, I took the monitor back to best buy. I purchased a 10% off coupon on newegg, and then bought the Samsung 226BW at Circuity City. I ended up saving about $60 over the LG and I'm far more satisfied with the Samsung.

However, I don't think it would have bugged me if I hadn't paid so much for the LG. It was a good monitor. The Samsung is just better IMO.

Could you elaborate a bit? Is it close to what the Chinese site shows as far as bleeding, colors and color gradients? You're saying you're FAR more satisfied with the Sammy. How that? As to what? Colors? Movies? HDCP? Text? Black background? Stand? Looks? Etc. Unfortunately 2 major things are still missing from either monitor: adjustable stand and HDMI. Yeah, I know, in spite of HDMI, it won't be true HD because resolution is 1600 and not 1900. Still, it's not that far off.

Thanks, Sylva.

seems like this thread has been dead last few days.I have had my LG-L226 a few weeks now and after some fine tuning i think the pic looks great now.Some small bleeding on the top and bottom but not really noticeable in normal viewing.I also just bought the samsung 226bw for use on my 2nd computer!it will arrive in a week or so.I will do a side by side comparision of the two models then.It will be interesting to see which is the better monitor.I have heard so much good about the sammy!i will see for myself.

You can check out the Canadian chain store, (also owned by Best Buy), site at http://www.futureshop.ca for the differences between the L226WA and the L226WT.

Basically it looks like four inputs for the L226WA model: VGA, Component, DVI-D and HDMI. Supposedly the WA is the 2ms model, and the WT is the 5ms model, and the WA is manufactured in Korea, and the WT is manufactured in China. Do not know if that means different panels or not. Those are the differences listed on the labels on all the boxes that I saw in-store. Looks like there are black and silver versions for both. The DVI-D cable also comes included with the WA model.

As previously mentioned in this thread, there is also the same little bit of top and bottom backlight bleed on the WA model as well, but you cannot notice it unless the screen is black. :)

I'll take a better look at it. Curiously, one can find it in Canada but not in the US at a chain owned by BB. Go figure. My research for a monitor continues for the simple reason that I need a monitor to also be a TV panel as well as very good at rendering movies and eventually for movie editing. I am not a gamer, so very short response (say 2ms vs 5ms) doesn't concern me to the extent that does the people on this thread. However it's nice when a monitor encompasses as many specs for optimal usage as possible: good for gaming, cinema, good color response for photo and film editing, etc. I want too much of course :)

Hey sylva, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing... or I was, as I ended up picking up a L226WA. I needed a quick replacement, since my old 17" CRT that I had been using for almost a decade, finally lost one of the guns.

The difference in price made me pause, but I went with the L226WA because I really wanted all the different inputs. I do not have much time for PC games since my PC is not the latest and greatest anyway, but I do like playing DVDs on the computer, and I might even try hooking up a game console to it as well.

The first thing I did out of the box, was hook it up to my HD cable box for some HDTV, and it presented itself quite well. No ghosting or anything, just a very crisp, clear picture... I was quite pleased. What I also noticed was that the backlight bleed pretty much disappeared while watching a "widescreen" film... it had the black bars on the top and bottom, which should have made any bleeding easy to spot, but it was basically not there.

I also had to turn down the brightness and contrast out of the box, as they were both cranked to 100, but with a little more tweaking using a "Digital Video Essentials" disc, I would say the L226WA will make a great multi-purpose monitor.

Now I just need to get used to moving a mouse around such a wide area, but it is so great to have all this real estate on the desktop. :)

thanks for the comments about the wa, i'm gonna pick it up when i get my fs giftcard from aeroplan which should be here in the next couple weeks :D

also to those more familiar with this i'm assuming the blackbars during the dvd watch is 1:1 pixel mapping?

does the same happen with a 4:3 source?

You say that this model can be with analog vga input only?

That is what the danish specifications say, http://nordic.lge.com/dk/prodmodeld...=05&modelCodeDisplay=L226WT-SF&model=NOTHING#, but every retailer says that DVI is included. UPDATE: Optional means the the CABLE is included by some resellers.

I found a site in Ukraine (http://www.price.od.ua/spisok_firm.phtml?id_firm=1053) that sells both L226WT-BF and L226WT-SF and according to them, the only difference is that one is black and the other is silver and they are both 5 ms. Maybe the American site is a little optimistic or maybe 2 ms is from gray to gray and 5 ms is from white to black. There as twice as many google hits on 5 ms and L226WT than 2 ms and L226WT so I think 5 ms is the most accurate. UPDATE: LGE Denmark say that L226WT is 5 ms.

L226WA 2 ms GTG PIP,vga,dvi,HDMI (HDCP),Component (YPbPr) http://de.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...rentId=04&modelCodeDisplay=L226WA-SN&model=16
L226WTQ 2 ms GTG vga,dvi (hdcp) http://nordic.lge.com/dk/prodmodeld...05&modelCodeDisplay=L226WTQ-WF&model=NOTHING#
L226WT 5 ms vga,dvi (hdcp) http://us.lge.com/products/model/de...itors_windows vista certified_L226WT-BF.jhtml and http://nordic.lge.com/dk/prodmodeld...d=05&modelCodeDisplay=L226WT-SF&model=NOTHING

L226WA is the only L226 model with Picture-in-Picture and Component. It isn't available in Europe until Mai 2007 (according to de.lge.com)

L226WA comes with different extensions, BN/WN/SN/WF. WN and SN seems only to be available in Germany. The only difference seems to be the color of the frame and the stand. Some sites claim that SN is white with black stand, other that it is black with black stand.We shall see when it begins shipping.

Extensions according to LGE Denmark.
WF = Black frame, Silver stand
SF = Silver frame, Black stand
BF = Black frame, Black stand

Your posts are incredibly valuable. Sirred: what about the panel's adjustability? I know it lacks vertical, but to what extent can it be tilted? Samsung's 226BW put me off right away because not only it doesn't have vertical, but it barely can be tilted. I don't understand what was going on in Sammy's engineers' head when they designed the stand. I am mad at them since I used to work in industry and I know what pains go into design work and how many things one must take into accont when designing.

i was afraid the samsung didnt tilt at all but when the guy showed me in the store it seemed fine to me, i mean how far back would you want to tilt it? i mean, it has a pretty good viewing angle actually, but i cant imagine it wouldnt tilt far enough.

i was planning to get one of these 2 3000:1 monitors the other day at futureshop but stopped and rethink.. In about 2-5 months there will definately be probably a higher contrast monitor coming out theres no doubt as new tech are coming out almost every day. I think its best to wait a bit maybe 1-2 months and the prices of these will drop very fast as new ones come out. At the moment their about $400-$500 each at where i am at :p

The LG-226wt has lots of tilting to it compared to the sam 226BBW (witch has verry little).Im verry happy with my LG.I did just buy the sam 226BBW and it arrived today for my second computer.Quick compare between the two shows great pic with both.Maybe slightly sharper pic with the LG but it does have abit more backlight bleed than the sammy.I will take side by side pics of both soon.PS! the sammy has a s panel.

isnt that rationale valid infinitum though? wont you just think the same thing when those next ones come out if "there's always new technology coming out"?

This is what stimulates us to keep on buying and manufacturers to wring their brains to make us buy by constantly perfecting their devices. When we harp on their shortcomings, they follow us and little by little introduce innovations or finally getting a complete product on the market just before a new technology is about to hit the industry as a whole. And so it goes ad infinitum.

Acee what you're saying is very true, but in my case it's all about my eyes. I neeeeed a new monitor cuz the 15"er I now have simply cannot deliver the fonts needed to protect my eyes from going worse.

Thanks stanleyjohn. I can't wait enough to see the photos.

sylva -

about how much tilt the L226 is capable, from the manual the tilt range is:
-5 deg. forward to +20 deg. back, and it can swivel on the base, there is a little roller mechanism, 355 deg. around.

Interesting about the many different L226WA models that are available in other countries; the precise model name of the "all black" unit sold in Canada is L226WA - BN... so yet another model to add to the list.

Sirred!! I have the L226wt model which has no swivel!cannot say if the wa does.The tilting seems correct -5 foward and 20 backwards.When i take pics!ill take side view so you can see.For getting the proper height i placed and item of a few inches under the monitor.If you want to lower it!then i dont know what can be done.Maybe a custom stand can be bought!I havent looked into it though.

though I may be * very * mistaken. The Sammy's height may be to its advantage though because it can be augmented with a book or two, but the LG cannot be lowered. In any case, this is sort of nit picking from my part. Bottom line, I am looking mostly for connectivity and good absence of back light bleeding. Even the Sammy has a relatively pronounced back light bleeding, but a lot less than preceding models. According to some of its happy owners, dynamic contrast is annoying because of reaction time to image change. Some of them forgo it alltogether and say exactly what stanleyjohn is saying that it's not really an issue. So my harping about remains connectivity especially that this one ain't exactly a cheap monitor. It's almost $400 by the time you add taxes and some monitors in this price range do have more connectivity, see the Westy.

Here around the DC area we are privileged to have a Microcenter store, a very great place to just gawk (if nothing else) at the miriad of products that this chain carries. Today I spent about 2 hours in there and took more than an hour to look at their monitors on display. What's great in this store is that all monitors are connected to individual computers and some of them afford the customer to play a bit with configuration. You don't see this at any of the mamouth chains such as CC, CompUSA or BB.

My first observation, subjective though it may be, is a general improvement in back light bleeding compared to models that came out even 1 year ago. True, the place is well lit, neverthless one can discern bad back lighting from little backlighting. Just looking at the picture, I suddenly remembered my old DOS days as a debutant. To see the effects of back lighting I called up the old DOS console form the START/ACCESSORIES menu. You can redimension this window from its Properties. Interestingly, the VIewsonic VX2245WM yielded the best results, followed by the Sceptre x22wg. I didn't like the ChiMei at all. Its colors were washed out more than those of the other contenders'.

In general the colors were kind of washed out at all of the panels, but this might have been for lack of calibration. The best of the bunch ** appeared ** to be the Viewsonic VX2245WM. Too, this monitor, in spite of being about 1 foot higher than my eyes, was still visible, without too much color dimming or shifting.

All, I mean all, panels had some color banding, the NEC 90GX2 included which had perceptible white striping. Some of them also had some color smearing (where purple meets blue or blue meets read at certain pixel groups on certain characters, that is where parts of the character are shown in double, but different colors), such as the Scepter. I took the pains to see whether every panel was at native resolution and they all were. The monitors just did not exhibit vivid colors, period. It's calibration, stupid, I guess.

Again, all of these shortcomings may have been outstanding because of lack of calibration. There were no 22" Samsung, LG, Gateway or Sony monitors in the showrooms. As a matter of fact Sony's monitors have vanished from all of the stores around the DC area. Anyone know what's happening at Sony? In any case, even when shown with separate computers, it's difficult to tell how the monitors perform. It'd take tremendous expertise and even more time to calibrate so many monitors and I assume the store personnel just can't possibly have the time to make good on such monumental a task.

Now, there were two glossy panels in the showrooms (an 19" wide HP, the other was normal 19" but I don't recall its manufacturer) and, frankly, they were awsome color wise. We know that glossy panels have more vivid colors, but the difference was just too big with the no-glare panels. Many people say this is an artificial way to enhance colors and I take their opinion to heart. Just my impression.

Correction:

As SBenNder's pics show, the Sammy CAN do what the LG does tilt wise. Great!

Spent some time examining the LG 226WT today at my local Best Buy after growing tired of all the Samsung 226BW "S" panel versus "A" panel crap, + noting the styling on the Sammy is a bit garish for me. Best Buy uses a standard def. DVD of 6 shots hooked to their monitors via VGA for display purposes. While this is clearly not an optimal mode of evaluating an LCD I definitely did feel the LG had the best clarity and realism, albeit a litte dark (brightness at 80%) next to a Westinghouse that lit up the room and made my eyeballs hurt. Couldn't test backlight bleed as no option for a solid black or even dark image. In addition, the understated but handsome styling grew on me, and the OSD was very intuitive. 3 questions for those who own this monitor:

1) Is the backlight bleed minimal / noticeable for everyday uses (web, etc...) ?
2) Is it a bit on the dark side re.: brightness or was this just by comparison to the ridiculously overbright models around it?
3) Besides OSD, I heard the install DVD has additional display tweaking options. Are these useful?

Thanks all.

BTW, the back of the display had a sticker noting mercury in lamp required safe disposal. Do all LCD's use mercury in their lamps and LG just more socially responsible to inform us?

i dont have this monitor but i dont understand why people dont like lcds to be very bright. i have mine at 100 and 100 for brightness contrast. also digital vibrance at a little bit higher than medium and it makes it come to life.

Ok! Have some pics! Warning!!! Im no photo geek.
LG-L226wt vs Sammy 226BW
I set settings on each to match as best as i can.Pics takin with a 1.3meg camera hightest setting.Sorry!best i can do for now till i get my new camera.A set of 1 1680*1050 wallpaper and 1 backlight bleed.
Updated Again! New Pics

1) is your Sammy "A" or "S" panel?
(Apologies if you answered this earlier in thread)

2) What is your overall impression of which is the superior 22" for everyday, non-gaming use? A subjective answer is fine as you are unique in having both side by side and your views as to strenghts/weaknesses would be valuable. For example, it sure looks like backlight bleed is worse with the LG but that's only valid if both are set to similar brightness levels, etc...and if it detracts from display quality in real world useage.

BTW, I hear the LG comes with a fairly useful app. on install DVD to adjust display more finely than the OSD...have you tried it out?

Best and thanks for the pix,
LW

Hello Lory! The Sam is a S Panel.I love both these monitors!.I did alittle more tweeking with the settings and i can say that its a tie! on picture quality between the two.The only minus i can see with the LG is the higher bleeding.Tryed different settings but bleed still more than the sammy.Note!!At normal viewing you will never notice the bleed,its still a great monitor which i will keep.I kinda also favored LG!Also have a 50" plasma from them with great pic and no problems.I do alot of gameing and have noticed no problems with both.Good luck in your choice of a new monitor.PS! havnt done movies yet.Do have a tv card and saw no differance there.I have also used software which came with LG!its a help!

THX for pictures! It seems that LG has more darker picture and details in the shadows are lost in black. So it seems that samsung has better contrast? Or this is just diferent setup on your digital camera? Also samsung has more red in picture.

Back