LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

Hi, do any of these monitors buzz at low or medium brightness levels???

Thanks

Hello Lory! The Sam is a S Panel.I love both these monitors!.I did alittle more tweeking with the settings and i can say that its a tie! on picture quality between the two.The only minus i can see with the LG is the higher bleeding.Tryed different settings but bleed still more than the sammy.Note!!At normal viewing you will never notice the bleed,its still a great monitor which i will keep.I kinda also favored LG!Also have a 50" plasma from them with great pic and no problems.I do alot of gameing and have noticed no problems with both.Good luck in your choice of a new monitor.PS! havnt done movies yet.Do have a tv card and saw no differance there.I have also used software which came with LG!its a help!

thx for pics! Looks like pics on both monitors are close!

But colors on samsung are seems better.

The Sam is a S Panel.

How do you tell if the LCD is a S panel or A panel?

I bought a Sammy today and the ship date was 2/5/07 on it. But i cant find what kind of panel it is. I heard if its shipped after a certain date they are the A panels.

Ebbing! There should be a A or a S stamped on the label on the back of the monitor near the model no.Someone asked about monitor buzzing (noise)!I have heard no noise at all from either monitor.

Says Model 226bw [R] ....... and then S

am i looking at the right S?

So i got a good panel yay, lol

Hey stanley would you mind telling me what you have your contrast, brightness and other settings on?

Mine seems little bright and ive been messing with it a little here and there. I havent ran the CD yet, does it have some software on it that helps? (the samsung)

Still playing! But for now the contrast and bright are around 50.the gamma i keep very low,it tends to wash out the pic if too high.The disk i got only had the manual,drivers and instructions on it.I use the manual settings on the monitor and also use software that came with my nvidia graphics card.

Still playing! But for now the contrast and bright are around 50.the gamma i keep very low,it tends to wash out the pic if too high.The disk i got only had the manual,drivers and instructions on it.I use the manual settings on the monitor and also use software that came with my nvidia graphics card.

Do you have any problems where what your looking at looks really dark if your kind of laying back in your chair and then if you square up with the monitor its lighter? Im not sure what you do with your monitor but i play alot of FPS and MMO games and sometimes ill just lay back in my chair and the monitor picture gets darker. Also the software on the CD is what makes it go to 2ms, atm i can only get it to go 5ms but ive yet to run the CD.

Ebbing, these monitors (Sammy 226 and LG L226) and most of the other 22" panels are of TN construction. Their vertical brightness will vary as a function of your position. Most of them also shift colors, some of them very badly. If you lean back with your chair you lose the perpendicular angle of incidence of your site onto the monitor's center, so the monitor will appear to darken on its upper third or half, depending on the angle you make with the panel when leaning back. This you cannot forgo since it's a built in shortcoming of TNs. I'm sure manufacturers are working on overconming this lacking in their technology but so far progress has been slow. In my experience technological change from the way TNs were darkening in say 2002 (when my 15" monitor was made) did not produce much improvement at this chapter 5 years later. However, back light bleeding is improving, though not totally.

Thoughts after a week with both 22" montors

first bought the LG-L226WT about 1 month ago.With so many brands out there why did i pick the LG?.The main reason was because a year ago i bought a 50" plasma HD TV from them and havnt had any problems with it and also a great pic quality.I also did some homework and liked the specs for the LG.I have two computer systems and had decided on upgrading both systems with new 22" Monitors(A nice big tax refund from the government also helped).About a week after i got the LG i started reading postings on other monitors and saw that the samsung 226BW was getting real good reports.I then decided to make the samsung 226BW my other monitor.After having them both together here for a week i have to say that both monitors are very much the same in quality and preformance.The only negative i have seen so far is the higher backlight bleed in the LG.I said this before!! Under normal viewing!I dont notice any bleed problems with the LG.I may of been brainwashed into thinking backlight bleeding is a real bad thing after all the reading and comments i have heard about it.If i didnt know or hear anything about backlight bleed,i might never of known that a LCD display had such a thing.I really think that both monitors are a great buy for todays technology.If it turns out that the 226BW (A panels) are not as good as the (s panels)then i would say LG over Samsung is a no brainer

i just picked up a l226wa will be taking pictures tonight of the component inputs for anyone interested. Also if anyone has any good sites for testing color banding and what not let me know :)

Could you, please, see what the monitor behaves like for 1080p? Is yours endowed with PIP? There's such a version, I believe suffixed with -WN. This one *seems* to be the most complete of all L226WAs :)

mox monkey!
Good Luck with the pics.Hope they come out better than mine did.Lets me know if you get a dvi cable with yours!non came with the l226wt.The wa is the faster model!2ms and i think hdmi.I would of got one but none for sale around here at the time.

i've briefly glanced through the manual and it will only do 720p/1080i so no chance of 1080p shots unfortunately and I don't have anything that can make use of those resolutions as of yet unless i download some hd trailers or something

the wa model came with both vga and dvi cables it also does pip which is able to be positioned in the 4 corners of the monitor but from what i can see isn't adjustable beyond that

i'll hook up my ps2 via component this evening for some pictures

even better question is where is it purchased? Im guessin outside of the USA? I still havent located any vendor selling in states, so if anyone has any leads, please give em up.

futureshop in canada has them in stock however more and more places are carrying the wt model so it should only be a matter of time before the wa's start showing up in more places

Saw today the Sammy 226WT on their site for $390. Here in Northern VA it costs $380 at CC + 5% tax, about $398 minus the 10% coupon, so you end up at $360 and with NE's final offer at $360 as well because of their $30 mail-in rebate. However, it's still more expensive than CC for they charge almost $15 for shipping. Will wait for further developments. Price will probably hold for awhile because of the rush on the monitor. I have a feeling that this spring will bring many new products. It'll be interesting to watch and then act, finally...:)

I just looked at the new egg site.they have over a dozen buyer reviews on the LG-L226WT and they are verry positive.

HI, just bought a LG L226WA from futureshop 4 days ago. This is my first LCD monitor, and I like it a lot. Color is amazin, viewin angle r nice. For da brightness, I have to turn it down to 60. There r some backlight bleeds on da top and bottom, but it is hardly noticeable. No ghosting or lag on CSS and supreme commander. (well, thats da only 2 games i m playin it right now). There r 2 problems that r bothering me right now. First, da monitor went into power saving mode for no reason, but it only happened 2 times, da first day and yesterday. i have to restart to get it on again. The other problem r whenever i run forte manager, da monitor went nuts. C for urself. I downloaded da latest forte manager from LG already, it still doest that. MoxMonkey, do u have da same problem as me. When i exit forte manager, everthin is back to normal. Should i exchange for a new one??

i did some test 2, lets compare urs and my, MoxMonkey.

sorry everyone something came up and i didn't have time to get pics tonight. I'll get them up tommorow after i'm done work

Agent kk Nice pics!! I have forte manager also!have not really used it yet with my LG but will use it later in the day and see if it makes my 226wt go crazy.Did you install the drivers that came on the cd?if not!that may cause a problem.I viewed your Video (cool)!I dont think there is a problem with the monitor!if there was i would think problems you saw would happen without using forte manager.Oh by the way! Nice Keyboard!Must be the g15 which i bought last week.

Hi All -

I purchased the LG this week from Best Buy. I had a gift certificate and they were out of stock on the Samsung. I found this forum post, so I decided to give my 2 cents.

NOTE: This is my first LCD. I have been leery of going the LCD route, but it's near impossible to purchase a CRT these days. Also, I'm using a DVI cable, although, truth be told, I didn't notice a difference in image quality when I switched from VGA to DVI cable

Basic settings: Brightness 100; Contrast 70; Gamma -50. f-Enging = User @ 6500k

The sleek, black, Playstation 3-style mirrored finish of the monitor is very nice, but man does dust get on it quickly :p. It's still beautiful to look at.

Display Impressions:

After fiddling with the Gamma, Brightness and Contrast and the ATI Catalyst drivers to adjust the color, I have to say that the display is very sharp. Text is immensely readable, color reproduction is over very good - primary colors are bright and punchy but not overblown.

I personally don't mind the viewing angle. It doesn't bother me at all. Playing games, working in Photoshop, checking email, watching movies - that never registered as a problem for me.

I do not notice any ghosting at all. Playing games, watching movies, bouncing my mouse around the screen - the low ms is proven. I don't care if it's 2ms I don't care if it's 5ms - it's rock solid.

XBOX360 through VGA cable - this is a mixed bag for me. Because the XBOX360 does not offer 1680x1050 resolution through the VGA cable, I had to choose 1360x768. Of course, the monitor upscaled the resolution so the image was a tad blurry. Not terribly, but it was noticable. Game play was rock solid however - again, no ghosting. But knowing that it was slightly blurry bothers me, so I don't know if I will use this to play XBOX360 games. I think I'll use my old CRT.

My issues are thus:
1) Uneven black reproduction. Across the screen, black levels are not even. It's a bit brighter in the middle than on the left and a slightly different shade on the right. This is bothersome in dark movie scenes and games (like Chronicles of Riddick, Doom3, Half Life 2, etc.). I don't notice it for the most part, only when there are dark scenes. If there's furious action going on in the dark scene, I don't notice it at all. Perhaps I just need to continue adjusting my brightness and contrast settings until I get the blacks deeper.

2) Bloody bleed from the bottom. Internestingly, there isn't a lot of bleed from the top and I don't really notice it unless I'm watching a DVD movie in widescreen and even then, I hardly even register it. However, the bottom bleed is much brighter and I do notice it when gaming in dark scenes.

Here is a link to some images: http://www.michaelfortunato.com/LG_L226WT/

NOTE: Most of these images were taken with no lights on. The only light source was the monitor and as such, the images are MUCH darker and VERY washed out. They really don't do justice to the crispness of the screen and the color reproduction. But I post them here nonetheless for reference.

Last - I haven't decided if I'm going to keep this monitor. I may see if BB has the Samsung in stock. If so, I might change it for that. I do more Photoshop and Corel Painter work than I play games. Moving images, you don't notice the uneven blacks and the bleeding so much. But, boy do I notice it when working on graphics. So I recommend this for gamers, but not for Graphic Designers/Digital Artists.

Questions, comments - any tests you want me to run? lay em on me and I'll see what I can do.

- Michael

Ok - I just made some more changes. I set the ATI Catalyst settings to their defaults and played just with the monitor settings on the OSD. My blacks are much deeper without sacrificing the white, so I don't notice the issue I mentioned before about the black levels being uneven across the screen - they still are uneven, it's now no longer an issue for me. The bleed at the bottom is still there, however, but it's less bothersome too. The display looks MUCH better now. Gradations are smoother too.

Ok - I'll have to use this for a few more days before I decide to return. I'm starting to like it.

- Michael

Thanks for your review and pics, mfortuna
What OSD settings did yoiu finally use foir optimal blacks/generally best results?

Thanks for your review and pics, mfortuna
What OSD settings did yoiu finally use foir optimal blacks/generally best results?

I used the following:
Brightness = 100
Contrast = 70
Gamma = 0
RGB Preset - 6500k
Sharpness - set to 10 (max) (which also helped the XBOX360 - doesn't look so blurry anymore)
f-Engine is set to User

I think disabling the ATI settings really helped this.

At the settings above, XBOX360 games are a bit washed out, but for PC work, it looks fantastic! I still haven't perfected XBOX360 settings.

- Michael

Ok, after playing with the settings, I still wasn't happy. The uneven backlighting I was experiencing really bothered me. And, at any resolution other than 1680x1050, the image looked terrible (which is understandable for an LCD). So, I took it back.

Best Buy didn't have any of the other monitors I wanted in stock. I just needed a monitor to replace my iiyama which died (I had it for 12 or 13 years - loved it!). Anyway, I picked up the Samsung 204B instead. It's not widescreen, but I'm mainly using it for Corel Painter, Photoshop, etc. so I needed something with at least 1600x1200 resolution. This baby kicks the crap out of the LG! Black levels are dark and even. Whites are bright but not overblown. And I haven't even calibrated it yet! Oh, and it I can adjust the stand height and pivot it to portrait mode, something that the LG monitor could not do. And it included a DVI cable!!!!!!!!! Forget the extra 2 inches and widescreen, I'll take this monitor any day.

Also, switching to other resolutions, the display is still sharp. I wonder if that's the 1:1 pixel ratio other people were asking about regarding the LG?

Anyway - I am supremely happy with the Samsung 204B.

- Michael

Sorry the l226wt didnt work out!Ive had mine 3 weeks now! no problems or im not seeing what other may be seeing allso have the samsung 226bw same pic quality! i see no problems with both.

I spent some time with the LG 226WT at Best Buy...they let me connect it to a PC rather than the stock rotating images. Having just seen Sammy 226BW ("S") at Circuit City 2 blocks from Best Buy, which was actually connected at DVI, I was expecting the VGA connected LG to take 2nd place. Pleasant surprise...gotta tell you, the LG was a beauty. Stock photos, pure blacks, all looked great. certainly no problem reproducing yellow. There WAS a blue tint in certain F-Engine modes but at "normal" mode setting this thing was gorgeous and I found the display overall more natural than the slick sammy.

If I could be sure of a Sammy 226BW "S" panel with no hassle I'd probably go for it but the LG is starting to top my list. No guesswork and it really looked great when i put it through its paces.

Just my 2 cents.

LW

Could you, please, see what the monitor behaves like for 1080p? Is yours endowed with PIP? There's such a version, I believe suffixed with -WN. This one *seems* to be the most complete of all L226WAs :)

All L226WA models support PIP. -WN specifies the color of the frame and stand.

Stopped by BB afterwork Friday and looked at what they had. The L226WT was in the center of their display. Now I dont understand why BB would invest in a display rack that generated an 800x600 analog signal to all the LCD monitors but who am I? Anyway, it was slow in the store and the sales guy ripped the monitor out of the display and put it up on a one of the vista machines with a DVI. Played around with it, watched some stock video and photos. Looked like worth taking a chance on.

Got it home, ran the cal on it and it looks decent. Have not had a chance to really work it out but hope to get there sometime this week. Got to find my camera to take some photos... Wonder where i put that thing????

Few complaints so far, No DVI cable included, current setup is difficult to see cell lines in MS Excel (hope to do some tweeking to fix this).

The Excel is a big issue for me so if i can't get that better, I will likley return the monitor.

Freezer!! Use the image sharping setting control on the display or your video card software.I used that and it brought much better image quality to fine lines and text.Also try setting the gamma setting to a low setting!I find that on both my L226WT and 226BW that a high setting will wash out the pic making it harder to see fine detail.

I'm getting one this wednesday so I'll let you know how it looks. After reading all the posts about it I think it is just what I'm lookin for. For the money I'm not expecting it to be perfect, just hoping for no dead pixels and a BIG bright and clear pic.

Back