LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

LoryWiviott! im looking at both monitors as i type and see no difference in text clarity.When i got both i did adjust the image sharpness control abit.

NY!! The LG web site says 2 ms so ill go with that for now.There are a few like best buy that say 5 ms !confusing!.I know that there is another version of the L226 that isnt sold in the US which has a few more features on it and it is also listed as 2 ms.Give LG a call or email them to be sure!i may do the same also.

xxhi!! I had no problem loading LGs Forte Manager.its possible you may have a bad disk.Im not sure!but i think you may be able to download it from LGs web site. Good Luck

Yes you can get it from LG website, there is a newer version on the site, however I can't find the link today.

As an update for me, I had my brother come over and check mine out, he has the viewsonic 22". He couldn't belive the difference. "So much brighter, and the colors are amazing"

As for ghosting, I think it might, however, my ping was up and down, that night, and I didn't change my settings, from my previous lower res. I would recomend, for other CSS players to put "-autoconfig" in launch options, and basicly start over with your settings. Now I can play at 1680x1050, all on high, at .>100 fps.

Needless to say, I'm happy, and I may just keep this thing yet.

I'm trying to decide mainly between this monitor and the sammy 226. I'm just curious, does the lg have 1:1 pixel mapping?

!!CAUTION!! There seems to be a nasty bug with LGs Forte Manager!When i boot up the computer with Forte installed it executes a program file named djhtmi.exe which causes the monitor to go all out of sync.I uninstalled Forte and no problems since.I will go to Forte Managers web site and look for some possible solution to this problem.

Stanleyjohn, I experienced the same problem. I found by turning the monitor off then on it came back. I uninstalled it also and have been using nvidia control panel for all adj. I am amazed at the monitor everyday that I use it. :) I'll hopefully be posing some oics this weekend,

cousineddie! Glad that the monitor is working out for you.Mine is working great also!Games play and look real nice on it.Im playing command and conquer Renegade (love the cc series)on it now and its real cool on this LG 22" monitor.I wrote an email to the company that developed the Forte Manager software! maybe we can get a fix on it.

I'm having the same sync problem with forte manager at bootup (even the lastest version off the website). I just turn the monitor on and off to resync the signal, I don't reboot this PC much so it's not really an issue with me. I did like the fact that you could turn off the blue LED power indicator through forte manager; that's something I never seen before on a monitor.

It's been 5 days since I bought the LG 226WT at CC and I'm still in love with this monitor. I'm now planning to keep it and not spend the extra $40 for the Sammy 226BW. For text, movies, games this monitor does all equally well and at $338 it is an excellent bang for the buck.

are any of you guys experiencing difficulty in displaying certain types of text on websites that makes it difficult for you to read? I just got this monitor recently also and on certain sites, its very difficult to read the text because the text color is too thin or something. I never had any problems with my crt monitor so just curious if any of you guys are having some issues to reading the text.

are any of you guys experiencing difficulty in displaying certain types of text on websites that makes it difficult for you to read? I just got this monitor recently also and on certain sites, its very difficult to read the text because the text color is too thin or something. I never had any problems with my crt monitor so just curious if any of you guys are having some issues to reading the text.

Yeah i did, but then i installed the forte manager program and set my text to 7, and it looks just fine now.

I dont have any issues w/ the forte program. I now am using it with my dvi cable and it looks great. I looked at the sammy too, but to my eyes i couldnt tell much of a difference, but seen the LG has a tad more light bleed. but nothing bad, the viewsonic was worse. I don't game, im a graphic guy. So thats all i do on this.

has anyone used a calibrator on this monitor yet? im thinking of buying one,

also

id be more than happy to upload some pics if you guys tell me what you want to see.

I'm coming close to running out of time to bring this thing back if I choose to. I just want the best for my money. (who dosen't) I just wish I could try the Sammy, 20, and 22 inch, and see personally if they are better for the games that I play.

I'm losing my mind...

dunc4! Dont know if this will help but i have both 226bw and L226wt.They are sitting here side by side and i can tell you that the pic quality and game play on both seem to be verry much the same.The LG seems to have just alittle more backlight bleed than the sammy,thats about it.If you have been fellowing these threads you will know that you risk getting a 226BW (A panel) if you decide to get the sammy.From what i have read!the A panel seems to not be as good as the S panel in which case the L226wt is the much better choice in my opinion.If your happy with what you got! Keep it! simple as that.

Yeah i did, but then i installed the forte manager program and set my text to 7, and it looks just fine now.

I think you mean the sharpness setting, I have mine set at 7 as well and it does help readability. Also, FireFox lets you scale fonts if they are to small. View--Text Size--Increase (shortcut CTRL +)

Hey guys, I just joined up to Hard Forum so I could give a little advice as I also have spent many hours researching and going a little insane.

First of all, I live in Canada and yes there are two versions of the LG sold here. L226wt and L226wa. I actually first bought the Sammy 226bw and returned it. I now own the L226wa.
The differences between the L226wa and the L226wt are:

L226WT : only has DVI and VGA inputs, 5m response time

L226WA : has DVI, VGA, Component, and HDMI imputs, 2m response time (using some sort of GTG hardware accelerator), and does have a sort of 1:1 pixel mapping which I'll explain below.

Those are the only differences other than the price, $399 CAN for the WT and $499 CAN for the WA

Now I'll explain the pixel mapping. On both the WA and WT, when using the DVI or VGA imputs, there is no pixel mapping. Playing xbox 360 with the VGA adapter will atomatically stretch and fill the entire screen. ( just like on the Sammy 226bw)

Now here's the big difference. On the WA, if you play 360 using the component or play ps3 through HDMI (or hook up a DVD player to either, the point being if you use either the component or HDMI imputs), the monitor processes pixel mapping!. So when I play xbox 360 through the component in 16:9 720P, you actually see the black bars at the top and bottom of screen. So its perfect 16:9 quality. You also have an option in the OSD that allows you to fill the screen if want. (reminder, this is only if using component or HDMI).
Now truthfully it doesn't matter that it will display a 16:9 picture because I use the OSD option to fill the screen anyways. The reason is because I have tested multiple games switching the option button staring right at the screen to see which one looks better. You physically cannot tell the difference! I don't notice anything being slightly stretched (even though it technically is) and the quality is literally identical. So obviously I play filling the entire screen.

So even though the VGA input doesn't offer the pixel mapping and automatically fills the screen, It doesn't really matter because 1, I play full screen anyways and 2, the quality is identical for both. The only huge difference is that using the VGA washes out the colours, which some like better anyways.

LG226WA (not WT) VS. Sammy:
I personally feel sorry for the people who bought the Sammy (which only has VGA and DVI inputs) because in Canada at least, the price is $449 CAN. Spend $50 more and get the LG just for the extra component and HDMI and 2 m response time. I personally think the LG's display is brighter, (well it technically is, it boast 3000:1 but is really only like 1000:1 then using DFC hardware, it gets pumped up to 3000:1) either way, better then the Sammy. Now I have absolutely no idea why the WA is not sold in the US. The WA just came out like 3 weeks ago, so maybe the US will get it soon.

Other notes:
The LG L246WP which is LG's new 24 inch wide screen "does" offer 1:1 pixel mapping for the VGA input aswell. I really not sure the the 226wa doesn't offer it when it must have the hardware already in the monitor considering it does it for the component and HDMI.

Don't bother calling LG head office because when I did, I already knew more than they did.

Don't ever cheap out and buy a cheaper cable like I did. I bought the Intec VGA cable for the 360 from Future Shop when I first got the Sammy 226bw and it gave off an insane amount of ghosting. I at first thought it was my monitor (which is the reason I began my research on monitors, so it was meant to be). It was when I tested the cable on my 44' Toshiba DLP and it still had crazy ghosting, that i realized it had to be the cable. I returned it and bought the actually microsoft VGA cable and it works perfectly.

PS. if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask although I can't promise quick responses as I have a lot of work to do for University right now.

Sidder,

Thanks for throwing a monkey wrench in my monitor decision..... now I have WA envy :p You know what ever you buy you're always going to regret it, but I didn't think it would be this soon! I have 7 days to return the LG226WT to CC but unless I exchange for another monitor I have to take a 15% restock fee (fucking gay). If you had not said anything I would be ignorantly happy.. at least for a few more days!!

Hey Lantano, ya I know how you feel! I was in the same situation when I first owned the Sammy, but I'm really happy I returned it and got the LG
I wonder if the reason for not releasing the WA in the US is so everyone will first buy the WT, then have to go out and buy the WA months later when it comes out. Whatever the reason may be, it's definitly involves more money for LG! Those corporate bastards!

Thanks stanley, an sidder.

If I were to take this back, I think it would be to get this Would this be in the same boat as the other sammy 22" monitors? Even though its a 20.

Thanks again for the help...

dunc4n

Thanks stanley, an sidder.

If I were to take this back, I think it would be to get this Would this be in the same boat as the other sammy 22" monitors? Even though its a 20.

Thanks again for the help...

dunc4n

I'm looking into this monitor, too, as an alternative to the 226BW. I want to know if the display is any sharper, given the small pixel pitch.

Damn, I gotta stop reading this thread, next thing you know I'll be ponying up $700 for the NEC 20" super duper S-IPS monitor...

I have gotten spoiled with my 22" monitors and 50" plasma.I cant see myself going back to a smaller size for my main viewing screens.Im happy!at least for awhile.:)

I got the 226BW the day it came out, and I still love it.

If you want direct HDMI input to play HD console games on your computer monitor (for whatever reason), buy a more expensive monitor with the input. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Future Shop has the L226WA on sale for $449.99... Same price as the Samsung.

Well one last update for me. I brought back the LG, and got the 206 sammy. After a day, was fully convinced that the picture quality was noticably better on the LG, and it seemed brighter. However the response time seemed better on the Sammy.

Reguardless, I took back the sammy, and got the LG back. Because I returned it, they dropped the price. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

Saved me 48 bucks.

Should be happy now, at least I know.

Thanks for the imput.

Well one last update for me. I brought back the LG, and got the 206 sammy. After a day, was fully convinced that the picture quality was noticably better on the LG, and it seemed brighter. However the response time seemed better on the Sammy.

Reguardless, I took back the sammy, and got the LG back. Because I returned it, they dropped the price. Weird, but I'm not complaining.

Saved me 48 bucks.

Should be happy now, at least I know.

Thanks for the imput.

So the picture quality was worse on a screen with a smaller pixel pitch, that's odd since the other specifications are fairly similar.

I really came down to a few 22" displays. The LG L226BWT won out over the Samsung 226BW based on specs and checking both out visually. Like a few others I am not big n the gloss black look of the Samsung.

One quick question - I was really interested in the L226WT-SF silver version and might still snag one for my other system if I can find one. Did LG decide not to market the silver version?

Don't believe the silver version of LG 226 is (yet) marketed in US.

BTW, stopped at a Circuit City that had LG 226wt side-by-side with the Samsung 226bw. I've been trying to decide between them so this was a nice comparison opportunity. Brought my wife, who's a graphic artist professional and gets to work on very high-end monitors at work. We noted some content looked better on one than the other but overall LG more consistently demonstrated excellent color and contrast. Very close call but we also found the Samsung's gloss bezel a bit distracting, liked the LG's classic styling better.

She noted the viewing angle (esp. vertical) problematic on both but this is inherent to TN panels and for most uses a non-issue. Both monitors were quite impressive at this sub-$400 price. Even 1-2 years ago, she noted that an LCD display of this quality would've been $1000 or more.

The verdict: LG 226wt by a nose.

Just my 2 cents.

LW

One quick question - I was really interested in the L226WT-SF silver version and might still snag one for my other system if I can find one. Did LG decide not to market the silver version?

It looks like Canada and other non-US locations gat a choice of silver or black. - anyway.

A few checks at Canadian Etailers show this is in stock. I have a silver/blue build and a black/red build and I'm thinking of going for another LG-226 if I can tag one in Silver.Maybe I could replace the power LED in the black one with red, betcha that would void the warranty! That way my latest monitor (L226-WTBF in black) can hook up with the black build. I would end up selling off my Viewsonic VX800 that has held down the fort for 3 years.

So I'm looking at two things:

• availabiliity of the LG L226WT in Silver in the US sometime soon
  • find a Canadian reseller/Ebayer that will ship to the US.

Any thoughts ?

Now here's the big difference. On the WA, if you play 360 using the component or play ps3 through HDMI (or hook up a DVD player to either, the point being if you use either the component or HDMI imputs), the monitor processes pixel mapping!.
So even though the VGA input doesn't offer the pixel mapping and automatically fills the screen, It doesn't really matter because 1, I play full screen anyways and 2, the quality is identical for both. The only huge difference is that using the VGA washes out the colours, which some like better anyways.
PS. if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask although I can't promise quick responses as I have a lot of work to do for University right now.

Sidder,
Thanks a looooot for your unique and most helpful post on this issue.

Here in Italy the sammy and lg 226wt are appearing on the market in a few days (meaning being available from retailers). But you made me think about LG 226 WA about one thing:
Beside consoles considerations, I've got the EN7900GS graphic card and an S-video to component cable available. So I am considering that I could exploit it with the LG 226 WA...to get better quality in gaming.
bye ;)
ricardo

just got this morning paper, and Best Buy starting tomorrow 3/25/07 has the LG226WT(black model) out the door for $339. I think Im gonna bite finally :) Buy it today, go back tomorrow with receipt and get price difference back in hand.

just got this morning paper, and Best Buy starting tomorrow 3/25/07 has the LG226WT(black model) out the door for $339. I think Im gonna bite finally :) Buy it today, go back tomorrow with receipt and get price difference back in hand.

I swung by my local bestbuy today. It is nice to see the LG226WT on sale for 339. The sucky part is that I am still very torn between the LG and the samsung 226BW. I find it pretty much impossible to judge the quality of an LCD monitor when they are all daisy-chained via a vga connection.

I wish there was more reviews on the LG226WT Display.

i bought it saturday night at circuit city. Now I have to wait for em to be instock at best buy in the next 30 days to get my price adjustment back :) Anyhoo, initial thoughts are that this thing is brilliant. Very rich colors, not oversaturated. Excellent blacks with everything Ive thrown at it so far. I am only having 1 problem so far and that is with the 360. I have it set to 1360 x 768 in the 360 menu but the OSD on the monitor shows Analog 1024 x 768 60hz for some reason. I havent had it very long of course so it could be I havent found the proper way to get it adjusted. Forte manager 2.70 disc came with it, but i decided to install the updated 2.73 from the website. I too have the damn bug where the display goes wonky until you turn off/on the lcd again. So i uninstalled the damn forte manager crap. Looks like I'll be grabbing a spyder 2 calibration unit in the near future to tweak this better. If anyone has any insight on getting the 360 to display better than what i stated above, please do reply. Thanks.

My old 19" NEC CRT monitor (that I bought used at a flea market for $60 lol) finally died on me after many years of offcolor service.

So I decided it was time to take the plunge and open the wallet for a new monitor. The night before I couldn't even sleep and stayed up all night checking out different models and brands. Finally I decided on the LG226WT and drove across the street to circuit city to pick one up.

It was a little more money than I wanted to spend, and I was disappointed to see that LG didn't bother to include a DVI cable in the box. Normally this isn't such a big problem, but since this is my first LCD display it meant I had to go back out to best buy and pay an extra $20 for one. :mad:

Anyway, I my initial impressions were pretty strong. Even before hooking it up I had to drool at it for a few minutes just looking at it out of the box. The stand is incredible, and only lacks a height adjustment. Other than that I love the swivel technology of the stand. The wide circular base, rigid neck, and large rotating circular plate underneath the base means it swivels in place effortlessly and you don't have to worry about it falling over while doing so.

After hooking it up I immediately noticed a huge change over a standard CRT picture, and at first I was wondering if an LCD was really a good improvement over the old CRTs. After some tweaking though the screen door effect and jagged lines around the icons and text was nearly invisible. After that I was left with a monitor that had absolutely incredible colors in games, even on an older video card.

There is a very slight amount of backlight bleeding at the very bottom of the screen, but nothing that's actually distracting. You only really notice it when the monitor is on, with nothing but a black screen to display. In movies and games however it's really not noticeable at all unless you're actively looking for it.

I still have some calibration and tweaking to do, but overall I'm very impressed with it. There are only two things that remain on my mind while I still have the option of returning it. The first is if the things I'm noticing as minor "problems" are only because I'm still adjusting to how an LCD monitor looks and behaves, or if it's something to do with my specific monitor. The second is what most people feel after they make a big purchase, "I wonder if the other one was actually better", such as the Samsung 226BW. :p

After hooking it up I immediately noticed a huge change over a standard CRT picture, and at first I was wondering if an LCD was really a good improvement over the old CRTs. After some tweaking though the screen door effect and jagged lines around the icons and text was nearly invisible. :p

What tweaks permitted you to get rid of the screen door effect and jagged lines? I've noticed those too.

Thanks for your post!

LW

Blu_Haze! I own both the 226bw and the L226wt and have them side by side on my computer desk.Except for a little more bleed on the LG i see no difference in the two models.The screen door effect,jagged edges??!I dont see such things.That and other problems others have seen on these displays i havent seen!or maybe they are present but i dont notice them.Im a gamer and love the colors and clarity on these screens.Unless i look at the screens from a wide angle,i dont notice any lose of pic quality.One item that i got for both monitors was a new stand.For $30 at staples you can get a matching black stand that You can adjust the height,turn the display 90 deg from portrait to landscape.here more info if you like>>http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ary&searchUnsumUrl=searchresults&fromUrl=home
Good luck with your new monitor and lets see some pics:) Ohh! I forgot to say that im very happy with both.

Here are a few pics of my computer command center:) .The Sammy 226bw is on the left and the LG L226wt is on the right.The monitor stands have been replaced with Neo-Flex stands.Both computers are HP computers.

And which one do you consider best? i mean, there is a substancial difference of price.

toxine! Verry hard for me to judge.If i was to break a tie! I would say 226bw because it seems to have alittle less backlight bleed.Except for that!I like them both equally.I also tend to like the LG basic style and blue light better.The blue switch on the sammy can get alittle annoying at times.The LG is alittle more$$ than the sammy except when its on sale.

so anyone here using the monitor with an xbox 360? id like to know what your monitor says the res is set to on the vga source. My console is set to 1360 x 768, yet the monitor says 1024 x 768. And I cannot find any setting in the menu to change this.

What tweaks permitted you to get rid of the screen door effect and jagged lines? I've noticed those too.

Thanks for your post!

LW

The main thing for me was the brightness and sharpness. From the factory the L226 comes with the brightness cranked up to 100% and the sharpness is higher than it should be. Once I turned the brightness down to around 60% or less and switched the sharpness to either 3 or 4 the picture quality was vastly improved.

If the jaggies are pretty bad for you, you can even try a sharpness of 2, or even 1, but for me that got a little blurry. I still have a lot of tweaking and calibration to do though before I can completely fall in love with this monitor. Mostly I think it's just the fact that I'm still getting used to the look of the hard individual pixels rather than the slightly smoother appearance of a CRT. :confused:

Back