LG L245WP - the first S-IPS 24"

As far as I can see from the manual it has only one HDMI port!
Therefore it looks like it can display 1:1 video.

Manuals can be downloaded here:
LG Germany

Greetings from Germany
Ecoba

Hi, I have been waiting forever for a 24" S-IPS Panel. Does anyone know if and when this may come out in Canada? (How much would be useful too... :cool: ) Thanks.

LG L245WP-BN is now everywhere in Poland. The price is the same as BenQ FP241W - quite surprising. I'm not sure whether it's S-IPS, mostly because of the price. But when there is detail info at shop, there is S-IPS written as the panel for L245WP-BN.

Regards

This panel is MVA. I've talked to a product manager personally. That's the exact reason why it's cheap, it's still 8 bit though, which produces reasonable colors.

The stand is tought because of the past problems which users reported - heavy keyboard typing made the monitor shake, so they replaced the stand with some bigger and stronger one.

It's a good monitor, with great 12 CCFLs... very even backlight - i've seen it.

Highly recommending for that price.

This is getting more and more confusing -- on the US site for the L245WP-BN, it says
178/178 (S-IPS) Ultra Wide Viewing Angle
However, someone on anandtech posted that monitor actually uses the same panel as the BenQ FP241W (P-MVA) -- though I had heard that the panel was actually some type of *VA variant, I hadn't seen any specific info about the panel model, so I'm not sure where the source for his info is. Also, does anyone know what "Anti-glare, Hard coating" finish means? Is this a "glossy" screen?

Also, the US site seems to list two monitors, the L245WP-BN, and also the L246WP, which was announced back in January. As far as I can tell, the specs listed are identical, except that the L246WP is "vista certified" and doesn't mention "S-IPS" explicitly. Does anyone have any info about the differences between the two? It makes me wonder if the L245WP will be coming to North America at all and has been replaced by the L246WP.

Very confusing...

I spoke to LG directly and the 24 inch will be using an S-PVA panel. Same as all the other 24 inchers

Flatpanels.dk says its a P-MVA AUO panel, while I believe and have seen it many places that its a S-MVA CMO panel, namely M240J1. It fits the characteristics well too.

I spoke to LG directly and the 24 inch will be using an S-PVA panel. Same as all the other 24 inchers
You're sure it's S-PVA and not the P-MVA by AU Optronics used in the BenQ? Did they give you the specific manufacturer and model? Thanks.

You're sure it's S-PVA and not the P-MVA by AU Optronics used in the BenQ?

Hello, one Czech hardware site has a review of L245WP with a photograph which clearly shows the panel AUO M240UW01 V0 [1], which is P-MVA (used in BenQ's FP241 models). Unfortunately the author still claims the monitor has A-MVA, but it's not true - A-MVA panel is M240UW01 V2, according to AUO website [2].

[1] LG L245WP Review (page 2)
http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-D1E351F88390DA00C125727000681DC2.html

[2] AUO M240UW01 V2
http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=6&items_id=1

Looking at the angle screen shots in that review, I would say that is a VA screen, not a S-IPS screen. Quite bad loss of contrast at angle. Either it is VA or the figured out how to really make S-IPS suck. Looking around I can't find anything at all from LG on this. This is not a S-IPS panel IMO.

BTW it would not be the first time people thought LG - S-IPS when it was really VA. Does LG indicate S-IPS or is that an assumption this time? Here I think even LG was mixed up:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/598-6/20-inches-lcd-p-mva-vs-s-ips.html

If it is a VA panel then it would be some form of AU Optronics P-MVA.....I can't see LG using a Samsung produced S-PVA panel. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for LG to outsource the panel technology though..

edit- I just noticed the post above ^^

Hello, one Czech hardware site has a review of L245WP with a photograph which clearly shows the panel AUO M240UW01 V0 [1], which is P-MVA (used in BenQ's FP241 models). Unfortunately the author still claims the monitor has A-MVA, but it's not true - A-MVA panel is M240UW01 V2, according to AUO website [2].

[1] LG L245WP Review (page 2)
http://www.svethardware.cz/art_doc-D1E351F88390DA00C125727000681DC2.html

[2] AUO M240UW01 V2
http://www.auo.com/auoDEV/products.php?sec=monitor&func=info&product_id=6&items_id=1
Thanks very much for this info. Does anyone know if there's a translation tool that will let me read the interview? I assume it's in Czech? I'd like to know the overall reactions to this monitor. Has anyone found any other reviews besides the Polish one posted earlier?

For those in the US, someone at Anandtech wrote to LG to ask about this monitor and the L246WP. They confirmed the P-MVA panel and said that the monitors were basically the same except that the L245WP-BN would be available online while the L246WP would be a retail model for B&M stores. If this is true, it's nice to know that there will be a monitor using the same panel as the highly-rated BenQ that will be available for much less in places like BestBuy -- the price and the fact that it's only available online are the two main factors preventing me from ordering the BenQ.

I assume it's in Czech? I'd like to know the overall reactions to this monitor.

Unfortunately, I don't know any cs-en web translation tool, but I can provide you a little summary:

• Measured response time was 17.8 ms rise and 8.8 ms fall with 20% overshoot which caused notable bright shadow,
  • There is a problem with brightness settings in custom color temperature modes - monitor switches from hardware to software adjustment,
  • The score for backlight was not too god,
  • Interpolation is only average,
  • There is no DVI connector (included is HDMI -> DVI cable)

The overall score was less than HP LP2465. Unfortunately, the author still thinks that the technology is A-MVA and compares it against S-PVA, which makes most of his opinions a little bit wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't know any cs-en web translation tool, but I can provide you a little summary:

• Measured response time was 17.8 ms rise and 8.8 ms fall with 20% overshoot which caused notable bright shadow,
  • There is a problem with brightness settings in custom color temperature modes - monitor switches from hardware to software adjustment,
  • The score for backlight was not too god,
  • Interpolation is only average,
  • There is no DVI connector (included is HDMI -> DVI cable)

The overall score was less than HP LP2465. Unfortunately, the author still thinks that the technology is A-MVA and compares it against S-PVA, which makes most of his opinions a little bit wrong.
Thanks for taking the time to do this! The overall tone seems to be pretty negative, but I wonder how much of this stems from the mistaken belief that this uses a new panel. The real question is how this compares to other models on the market -- for me, the only real negatives on that list would be the "bright shadow" (not sure what this means -- inverse color ghosting?), and the low backlight score (light leakage? bad uniformity?).

I hope at some point someone will do a direct comparison between this and the BenQ, since the BenQ's been out for a while and opinions on it seem to be pretty consistent.

904 Cdn (with a S-IPS) panel and the price will be lower soon according them (NCIX)

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index....did=1288582&pagenumber=1&msgcount=6&subpage=1

Emailing them and asking,got me a tech saying it uses different panels(P-MVA /S-IPS.and another)
Someone on Anandtech emailed LG directly and was told that this monitor only uses P-MVA, not IPS. This seems consistent with what other reviews have been saying, so I don't think there's much hope that this will be an IPS panel. I noticed NCIX said IPS when they first put up the page, but I think that was just copied from other out-of-date descriptions that LG had (maybe still has?) on their own website.

Someone on Anandtech emailed LG directly and was told that this monitor only uses P-MVA, not IPS. This seems consistent with what other reviews have been saying, so I don't think there's much hope that this will be an IPS panel. I noticed NCIX said IPS when they first put up the page, but I think that was just copied from other out-of-date descriptions that LG had (maybe still has?) on their own website.

Very likely the case.

The overall tone seems to be pretty negative, but I wonder how much of this stems from the mistaken belief that this uses a new panel.

Actually, the tone was negative for response and image quality, viewing angles and color quality was rather positive.

for me, the only real negatives on that list would be the "bright shadow" (not sure what this means -- inverse color ghosting?), and the low backlight score (light leakage? bad uniformity?)

I will try to (almost literally) translate some parts so you can get a better picture (but you must forgive me some inaccuracy, as I'm not a professional translator):

When we look at 0-175-0 response, we unfortunately find out there is a significant overshoot. It reaches almost 20%. Because of this we can see 'nice' bright shadow after the moving object. It's a shame because the response itself would be sufficient for games.

Unfortunately, even gray-to-gray response did not avoid unpleasant overshoot caused by not well-handled OverDrive technology.

Image quality:

Unfortunately, there is clearly visible noise in high-resolution video. On the contrary, very surprising is image depth and color quality, it is obvious that the new A-MVA technology was significantly improved over P-MVA...

Games:

Today's LG panel did not come out very well. The response itself was good, but there is a lot of bright shadow in the image. On the contrary I was surprised that edges were not split in two. The colors are very good, they have sufficient depth and they are accurate.

Backlight:

The graph shows that the backlight in left and right border is less intensive. Unfortunately, this intensity decrease exceeds 5% of surface area so I have to give 15% penalty to score which has othervise very good value of 51.6%. Thus the final score is 36.6%.

Note: The backlight uniformity is measured by a probe (Vishay BPW21R photodiode) in 8x8 matrix and the voltage is represented in % (if this makes any sense to you ;-)

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for the info, CW2. Out of all the problems they mention, the only ones that really concern me is the response "overshoot" and the backlight uniformity. I guess we'll have to wait for some more reviews to see if others are in general agreement with these conclusions.

It looks like NCIX has updated their ship date to March 6, so hopefully these will start showing up in North America soon.

Any one have one of these yet? Would love to see a review.

What kind of anti-glare coating does it have? I recall from an early review it had a glossier finish than most. Does it come with a DVI/HDMI converter?

NCIX has it on sale for $799 (reg. $849) for the next day or two... http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23000&vpn=L245WP-BN&manufacture=LG Electronics
I'd also be very interested in reviews if anyone has or is planning on buying this.

Nice to see it's in stock, though that price is a little disappointing (about $720 US) considering that several US stores (e.g. TechOnWeb and others) have been taking preorders for this monitor for $100 less. However, I don't see it in stock anywhere else yet. I'm curious to see if/when Newegg will carry this, and if so, how much they'll sell it for. I'm also looking forward to seeing the L246WP (the retail version of this monitor) available in B&M stores.

Has 1:1 option in OSD and HDMI, DVI, Component. Looks rather awesome in windows but had not seen a game on it. Selling it 749.99 not bad price for 24 inch.

Found another site says is 178/178 (S-IPS) Ultra Wide Viewing Angle.

I just got this panel. What questions do you guys have and what specific things do you want me to look for when testing the panel? What, if any, photos would you like to see? I'll definately answer questions to the best of my ability.

I received this as a wedding present, actually (just got married on May 5th, woot), so I'm also very interested in details on it because I will be doing my work on it (graphic design, illustration). I've been a huge gamer so if you guys have any questions along those lines I'll be happy to see what I can report back.

Let me know - I'll check back here as often as possible.

Heh, they still haven't changed this? It's well known that this monitor uses a P-MVA panel, the same as in the BenQ FP241W. LG themselves confirmed this to someone on the anandtech forums. I suppose they were originally planning to use an IPS panel but then changed their minds and still haven't updated the website.

As for what you can review, XeeN, a general overview of your impressions about the monitor would certainly be nice (color, ghosting, any backlight bleeding, viewing angles, etc). Also, I suppose this is a long shot, but I still haven't found anyone who owns this monitor and a Wii, and I'd really like to know how good the Wii looks over component input. Other than this, though, anything you can tell us is useful, it's always good to have multiple people giving their impressions of the same monitor so we can tell whether any problems are normal or just flukes. Thanks!

XeeN - I'd be very interested to know how component fares on this monitor. I've been thinking about getting the BenQ for ages and was on the verge of doing so when I found out about this model:rolleyes: , but as the LG is £70 less in the UK, then I'f rather go with it if component gets the thumbs up. It's a pity they didn't stick a DVI input on it, but that's something I can probably live without.

Hi,
I would be very interested in "Input Lag" of this screen. Specifically, how many milliseconds delay versus a clone CRT displaying identical sources such as virtual stopwatch. ;)

My quest for 1920x1200, 8-bit pixels, low response time AND no-input-lag continues!

Hi,
I would be very interested in "Input Lag" of this screen. Specifically, how many milliseconds delay versus a clone CRT displaying identical sources such as virtual stopwatch. ;)

My quest for 1920x1200, 8-bit pixels, low response time AND no-input-lag continues!

DMP - you're not the only one. I'm still waiting as well :)

I'll try to answer your questions as best possible. I'll also do the input lag test as soon as I can.

Right now I have the lcd next to my old crt, which was a 22" mitsubishi/NEC diamond pro 2070SB. I am trying to figure out how to match colors during graphic design so I don't have this perfect screen to work off, and then have a brochure printed and everything's a little darker. =P

Can a Mod change the thread title.... after 6 pages it's clear this monitor isn't an S-IPS

DMP said:
The 23" Apple Cinema Display is all of that, and it's S-IPS.

Back