LG W2220P

webzeb

n00b
Hi,

I read the LG W2220P and W2420P were unexpectedly cancelled about one month ago.

I was very interested in the W2220P, for photo editing (e-IPS, high resolution, fine pitch).
Is there any information about the reason of this cancellation ?
Could we expected other monitors w/ the same panel to be released soon ?

Thank you.

lélé

I read the LG W2220P and W2420P were unexpectedly cancelled about one month ago.

For the EU market only - At one time LG DE (Germany) (before the major LG reorganization about two years ago) did control the what all marketing regions in the world received as to monitors (displays), this is no longer the case.

It may still be imported in to the NA (North American) market.

I have been discussing both the LG W2420P / W2220P models for the last two weeks with David Suaviso, Jr. - Eastern Territory Sales Manager, Channel Sales - Business Solutions Division – LG Electronics USA, Inc. as no firm decision has been made either way as to if the two model should be brought in to the US for sale.

LG US is still strongly considering importing both the W2420P / W2220P models, and both have dual HDMI interfaces, 1920 x 1200 resolution, 5ms G2G response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 brightness for 24", 300 cd/m2 brightness for 22", 178/178 viewing angles, 1080p.

Very detailed (in German - but the specifications are "clear") PDF and other details of the new LG W2x20P e-IPS product line can be found at:

http://de.lge.com/about/mobile...7035_1_read_ROOT.jhtml

The LG W2220P looks like it could be a real "killer" if priced correctly and in line with the Dell.

LG’s main sales office in NJ needs to be convinced that enough will sell in the US. I gather if they (LG US) think there is enough US interest LG US will proceed to import the two models.

Of course, everyone who is interested in the US could and should, contact LG Electronics USA, Inc., 1000 Sylvan Avenue Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, U.S.A. 07632, telephone 201-816-2000 – FAX 201-816-0636. Maybe if enough calls and faxes are received, they (LG US) may realize that there really is interest in this monitor line in the US.

Again, please call LG Electronic in NJ, write them, tell then you want to see the LG W2x20P e-IPS product line imported in to the US. Have your friends call, write, everyone in these forums!

Also send a copy of all correspondence to:

David Suaviso
Regional Account Manager
631-266-2215
631-980-3738
[email protected]

I was very interested in the W2220P, for photo editing (e-IPS, high resolution, fine pitch).
Is there any information about the reason of this cancellation ?

It is extremely possible that Dell is trying to get an “exclusive” on the 22” and 24” LG Display e-IPS panels (for now, or at least a few months head start). And is working with some very senior LG directors in Korea to effect such, and this was one reason that the W2420P / W2220P was “pulled” from the EU market on a very sudden basis. Dell has been known to try and to do this before with other manufacturers.

Could we expected other monitors w/ the same panel to be released soon ?

Not if Dell is doing some sort of "back room dealing" as described above.

Tim

Hi,

Many thanks for your answer.

Actually I live in France, Europe.

Are there still planned in our country ?

Are there any updates so far for the NA side of things?
And I have to say I'm curious how you get all this information. It's very detailed, and I can't find the inner workings of LG like this just by doing searches on the web. Not that I mind, I'm just curious and anxious for more (positive) updates!

Are there any updates so far for the NA side of things?
And I have to say I'm curious how you get all this information. It's very detailed, and I can't find the inner workings of LG like this just by doing searches on the web. Not that I mind, I'm just curious and anxious for more (positive) updates!

I was told by LG NJ mid to late next week they will have a better idea of where they are going.

Tim

My LG rep claims that the North America region is going to get some 'special' monitors sometime in November. Since Samsung monitors are such crap now LG sees an opportunity to take a lot of customers from them.

LG W2220P

Hi,

Just check bellow link

picture162.png

Short Review (originally in german)

translated here

Is that what everybody was waiting for? Should be that higher resolution?:rolleyes:

why the old picture and the current picture of the product are not the same?

Hello guys

i bought this monitor yesterday, so if you have any questions...

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

Last edited:
Awsum, does the display have a 16:9 mode (i.e. where 16:9 video is letterboxed rather than stretched to fit the 1680x1050 resolution)? Thanks!

Thanks for the photos Awsum!

I am interested in purchasing this monitor but prior to doing it, could you please tell me what you think about W220P after some time of use?

I am asking because I've had many problems with Dell 2209WA monitors and would never want to have any further issue with Dell anymore. Dell 2209WA uses an e-ips matrix by LG and the company has apparently concluded contract with a Chinese plant for the physical production of their monitors. I bought one Dell 2209WA monitor in the beginning of March and although I looked for stuck pixels and general panel uniformity and they seemed to be fine, in short while saw that the right side of the monitor is significantly brighter than the left one. This could be seen when you open different applications and have some more dealings with the monitor, especially on white/light screens. I called the national distributor of Dell I purchased the monitor from and got the monitor replaced. I was very lucky with it and their support until I saw home that it had the same problem - significant backlight non-uniformity, visible on white and light, mostly brown, screens. I called the company again and they tried to run out of responsibility in any way, even saying that they didn't have policy regarding backlight non-uniformity and only to pixels (Dell 22009WA has premium pixel guarantee). They also said that I might have problems with my eyes or see things some other person could not raise at all! Hmm... I called Dell's national customer care number and since they were really helpful, the second monitor was replaced with a new, third. It didn't have any backlight problems but I lost any confidence in the products of Dell. Also, when I got the third monitor, a person from the repair service of the company I bought the monitor from, said that Dell didn't produce monitors. It was just like I have money and see there's interest for a product, then sign a contract with a producer and sell something under my brand...

Anyway, since LG W220P uses an updated e-ups matrix of that Dell one and since most of LG monitors are with TN-matrices, can you tell me if your LG W220P unit has any:
- Backlight non-uniformity;
- Significantly visible backlight bleeding on back or general dark colours;
- Any hum or buzz when in operation or in stand-by mode; I am asking because all of my Dell-ordered 2209WA monitors were humming - the first one almost not humming, but the second and the third - like a CRT-monitor at 50 Hz.

I use a 19-inch TN monitor of LG now, which does not have any backlight problems, humming problems or anything else. I was truly surprised that there are monitors, produced after 2006 on the market, that could suffer significant screen irregularities or emit noise. I've read a lot about humming monitors and all comments agree that this happens mostly at 230V (Europe) and comes from vibrating capacitors of the backlight. Some say it is from the power block but I don't believe it. My third Dell 2209WA was humming like a very terrible mosquito.

I would really want to buy a new 22'' monitor, but am already too scared of investing money and buying crap. Even at 1860 x 1050 resolution, if there is no hum or backlight irregularity, I would really love to have a W220P as it seems to provide great colours, almost no input lag, great viewing angles and also comes from a producers that is a name in the monitor field...

Just to add that I am really pleased with all the Dell support throughout my monitor problems. They are a serious company with great customer service. But... I am talking about products which I had dealings with! Finally you are purchasing a product and customer service is just an addition to it...

- Any hum or buzz when in operation or in stand-by mode; I am asking because all of my Dell-ordered 2209WA monitors were humming - the first one almost not humming, but the second and the third - like a CRT-monitor at 50 Hz.

Nope.

I'll copy my quotes so I won't repeat myself.

I got the W2220P-BF (Black Frame) as well, but the default profile, the one installed with driver is not so good... it makes the black level look worst, ads more banding and the colors or less detailed on certain nuances. I disabled it, now I use the one managed by my video-card which ads a significant improvement but still to bright...

It realy needs some calibrated profile, done with a good calibrator. The ones based on light profiles can bring the best accuracy, like:

- one on a dark room with no external light source
- one on artificial light, but unfortunately this is not worth sharing cause it works right only for the user who made the calibration, since the intensity of the light may be different from my artificial light source.
- three profiles made on natural light, 1 on a sunny day, 1 one a day with sun behind clouds and 1 in a rainy day. This on room with usual curtains.

For now, I'd be satisfied even with a general calibrated profile, but one that's done right. :( Did any of you had any luck with that, please.... :(

As you can see, back-light bleeding is only visible in a a dark room on a black background, but doesn't seem to be present in general use, take this image as example.... On the other hand, the IPS's are not the best when it comes black levels, actually that's their weakest point, and that's visible in night scenes from videos, especially if you watch movies during night time.

Great that there's no humming! It is really annoying and distracting! Actually I haven't heard any LCD monitor humming before dealing with Dell monitors so this is great!!

As you can see, back-light bleeding is only visible in a a dark room on a black background, but doesn't seem to be present in general use, take this image as example.... On the other hand, the IPS's are not the best when it comes black levels, actually that's their weakest point, and that's visible in night scenes from videos, especially if you watch movies during night time.

Thanks for the photos. Yes, I know that black levels on the IPS matrices are not that great as on the VAs. What about PANEL UNIFORMITY? Is it really uniform and with no banding or visible brighter parts??

Also, is the panel too bright? As from what I saw in your reply, the monitor's default colour settings are not great (by the way some reviews claim the same) but could the on-monitor settings correct the colours without involving settings of the video card - especially brightness?

Dell 2209WA comes too bright at factory settings and I almost disabled contrast and brightness on my NVidia card to make it less bright.

Have you played any fast games on it?

Thanks for the photos. Yes, I know that black levels on the IPS matrices are not that great as on the VAs. What about PANEL UNIFORMITY? Is it really uniform and with no banding or visible brighter parts??

Mine isn't but with most LCD's it's a lottery. :)

Also, is the panel too bright? As from what I saw in your reply, the monitor's default colour settings are not great (by the way some reviews claim the same) but could the on-monitor settings correct the colours without involving settings of the video card - especially brightness?

No. That's specific to Dell monitors, most Dell monitors I tried where to bright even with brightness at 0. Actually the default profile of the W2220P is to dark, I don't even use it... I'm even searching for a calibrated profile but so far, I didn't had any luck at that.

Don't mind the colors from the photos, the colors are better than that yet kinda impossible to capture them with my camera, especially on sRGB mode. Yet I don't like colors that intense (might need less saturation) for daily use, only use them for movies.

Have you played any fast games on it?

Yes. Modern warfare 2 looks very nice on it and didn't notice input lag or other problems related to response time. I doubt you'll have any problems with modern games, yet older ones like Quake 2 or CS 1.6 might not do so well. As in, those games are played smooth at 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 resolution / 85 FPS - 100 FPS and scaling an LCD to those resolutions losses many details. On the other hand, setting those games at 1680x1050 could add a huge disadvantage on those games, especially since their limited to LCD 60 HZ (as in max 60 smooth FPS). On the other hand modern games where made with higher resolutions in mind and and 60 Hz/60 FPS and they go smooth at any resolution - if you have a decent LCD of course and this is a decent one (you can even compare it with many LCD's with TN panel based on response time).

As mentioned above, there's even room for more, if properly calibrated. The ones that had this and the model from Dell, admitted that the LG is better - yet they also admitted that Dell has better ergonomics but for me, the monitor potential is more important than that. That's the reason I chose this instead of Dell, since there was a small price difference and if Dell was better, I would have gone for that one.

Last edited:
I've had the LG W2220P for two weeks now, though after calibrating it with Spyder 3 Elite and spending one afternoon with it, it's been in sole dominion of my younger brother since. I've not heard a single complaint from him, which should count as a good thing.

Nonetheless, I suppose my first impressions might be of interest to a prospective buyer. Before calibration, I had the LG placed right next to my trusty two years old Eizo S2000 upon which I immediately noticed that it's far too restrictive in terms of brightness (backlight) adjustment. Even at 0% brightness it was more luminous that what I normally find comfortable. Just for reference, I currently have my Eizo set to 18% brightness for a target luminance of 80 cd/m2 - for comparison purposes, I had them set to subjectively equal brightness.

From what I've read and personally seen, this is the very same issue that it's Dell twin, the 2209WA has.

Crystal grain (sparkle or whatever it's actually called) is visibly more pronounced on the LG than on the Eizo and about average from what I've seen in my experience with VA and IPS panels. Personally, this very effect is my single biggest drawback LCDs have in comparison to CRTs. I've a S-PVA based monitor hooked up to a workstation at work that's really unbearable to work with because of this. TN panels, from what I've seen on average appear to be better here than both VAs or IPSs.

Having heard certain rumors, I closely inspected the upper and lower half of the screen for a faint yellow tint - my observations proved them visible, but only at inclination and with background color set to white. Under normal Windows desktop conditions they weren't really noticeable. I also noticed an ever so small in area luminance irregularity in the middle of the screen extending for about 3mm from the top bezel. Had I not been searching for the aforementioned yellow tint I doubt that I would've really have noticed this either.

Black "reproduction" seems OK, somewhat worse than what the Eizo's A-MVA panel had to offer. As I'll show you later, my observations were not in line with what the Spyder hardware measured during calibration. The actual color of the reproduced black was a blue hue, whereas that of the Eizo a neutral gray. Unfortunately, angle inspection showed a major weakness: luminance shoots way up and the observed color becomes a bright gray. This shouldn't really be a surprise since it's only the more expensive models that get fitted with a polarizing filter to prevent this sort of thing.

Turning on the lights and setting both screens to the standard Win 7 desktop background I inspected the viewing angles: the LG here apperas somewhat better than the Eizo, since it loses less in maximum luminance till about >45° where both monitors equal up.

Having shut both monitors down, I inspected their anti-glare coating. Although both monitors have a matte surface treatment, the Eizo was subjectively far darker when viewed head on, which indicates that it's better at scattering ambient light away from perpendicular egress routes. I'd rate the LG here average.

On to calibration then.

As I mentioned, I used the Spyder 3 Elite and Datacolor's own software for calibration. I had 6500K white and gamma of 2.2 set as target. Through OSD RGB gain adjustment I was able to accuratelly tune the desired white level. Brightness was set to 0% and contrast left at factory preset level. Spyder's software reported calibration to have been nearly perfectly performed, although I have my reservations here.

I was pleasantly surprised to have seen both the gamma slider control and individual 6 color tune option in addition to a temperature slider as well. Normally, I'd expect this only from a midrange screen - I was unable to find out what the inbuilt LUT table depth is though. If it's the standard 8 bit, then these controls could prove to be more of a harm than help. Either way, the menu controls are somewhat ungainly to use due to their no button approach.

Dynamic range measurements with the inbuilt colorimeter were as follows:

- white level: 109,7 cd/m2
- black level: 0,18 cd/m2

which implies a dynamic range of 609:1. At 100% brightness I measured a luminance of 312,3 cd/m2 which is very good.

Just for comparison, at 0% brightness the Eizo S2000 has a maximum luminance of 37 cd/m2 and a black measured at 0,09 cd/m2.

Interestingly, Spyder's hardware reports Eizo's black to be brighter when set to a target white luminance of 80 cd/m2, than the LG set to it's lowest 110 cd/m2! This doesn't seem to correlate with what I observed with my own Mark I eyeballs, so I'm inclined to hold the Spyder at fault here, which puts in doubt all of the results it had measured...

Finally, my gaming impressions: playing Race Driver: Grid for 20 minutes I haven't noticed any problems and I was pretty satisfied overall. Having switched to a more demanding title: F.E.A.R. 2 I started to notice problems: there is visibly more blurring going on than on the A-MVA panel I normally game on. Since scenes in FEAR 2 are overall rather dark, I suppose this is the worst possible case an LCD can encounter. Just to clarify, I'm not really thrilled with Eizo's performance here either, but at least it's what I would term sufferable.

Thus, I wouldn't really dare recommending this screen to a hardcore gamer: they should use a Plasma or DLP projector for best experience in my opinion.

Overall, for the price it commands, I deem the LG W2220P an excellent choice for a nondemanding user. Comes with 3 year warranty btw.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Well, my ex monitor was P-MVA and got some decent results with software calibration, the viewing angles and the black levels where a lot better, as mentioned before in above post. A-MVA is suppose to be even better then P-MVA and was also made by AUO, so that makes sense. I've seen other IPS's from NEC (this one was glowing violet) and Eizo, and even those had similar problems to this one (black levels, viewing angles), which is related to IPS technology. The polarizing filter is known to help with viewing angles, but that was only available since H-IPS panels, yet doesn't seem to help that much with black levels and IPS glow, only monitor with a different technology like S-PVA can fix this (yet those have input lag problems and bigger response time)...

The blur in games is related to LCD technology, even the fastest TN on market displays some blur, yet with time you get used to it and don't even notice it... well, not like ghosting or sever input lag problems, than can be seen with some screens (most or based on S-PVA).

LE.Dell's white level, is at least 2 or 3x times more prominent then this, if you compare them you'll see a a huge difference with naked eye. :)

Last edited:
Max Demian, thanks a lot for the impressive review! Hm, it seems that LG W220P is also a little bright as Dell 2209WA. This is not such an issue but matters when working/doing things on lighter/white screens at limited light conditions. Since I've been using TN screens over the last few years, I was a little surprised and it was hard for me to handle the too bright screen of Dell 2209WA using Mozilla for example at night. It was almost burning my eyes so I put brightness of the monitor itself to 0 (brightness setting on the monitor is useless as it almost doesn't make anything) and also put brightness and contrast of my NVidia card to respectively 10 and 5...

Anyway, judging on what you said, it seems that the LG panel is a little darker than the Dell one.

XSAlliN, thanks again for the game play impressions. I am more an accidental gamer than a hardcore one but am in love with NFS, MF Simulator X and a few other dynamic games. I've tried Need for Speed Shift on Dell 2209WA and it was great, although if you really look for blurring, you could see it, especially on NFS Most Wanted at speeds more than 120 mph. It's not that bad anyway. I have another TN LG at 2 ms and you could also hardly see some kind of blurring but for much worse colours...

Have any of you tried the HDMI from external source? By the way, does the monitor have options for controlling picture (like 4x3, fill, ...)? As it is 16x10, does it affect 16x9 movies when playing them?

I will possibly use the monitor at home - internet, reading, movies, some gaming, some graphic and video processing. This is why brightness levels are important for me. Also, as already explained, I am very deeply concerned about panel non-uniformities and humming. Maybe I was just unlucky with some of the units of Dell 2209WA I've got, but I really think that LCD screens' quality gets worse and worse with years. All the Dell monitors I got replaced were brand new, and the third one arrived directly of Dell's LCD monitors' storage in Holland. Max Demian, what about humming on your monitor? Thanks guys!!

Out of the box, there was no audible humming: I've a very quiet computer, so I wouldn't have had any trouble picking that out.

As for graphics processing, if you value color fidelity, than this monitor is suitable only if you work during bright daylight hours. Any lowering of contrast on the monitor or on the video card incurs a color reproduction penalty. As an epitome of color matching equipment, Eizo recommends using its CG series screens with luminance up to a max of 80 cd/m2 for best results, interestingly enough.

Max Demian, please share the LG W2220P calibrated profile and settings used when calibrated.

Thanx.

Regarding calibration, you do have to understand that each screen is different, especially so when we're talking about low-end stuff. What worked for me, might not work for you. And calibration settings age rather quickly: professionals recalibrate their screens on average once a month.

So, if you're not a professional, then there's really no need to calibrate your screen using an instrument. If you are, then you really do need to buy a calibrator since as I've already pointed out, calibration settings age rather quickly. But this screen shouldn't really be a choice for professionals, since the backlight can't be adjusted down to 60 cd/m2 and the screen non-uniformity alone will render most calibration efforts moot.

For a normal user I suggest a 0% brigthness setting, contrast set to factory default and a color temperature of 4500K-5000K (this will further bring the brightness down) for working with text at night as it's close to what incandescent bulbs shoot out.

That's cause professionals work with different materials which need a certain color accuracy, especialy between monitor an printer. Then we have the light factor, unless they work in a room with no natural light (no windows) and same artificial light, they might recalibrate based on that factor.

Was just asking for a general calibration ICM, one that gives better results altogether (as in color + contrast + brightness).

For a normal user I suggest a 0% brigthness setting, contrast set to factory default and a color temperature of 4500K-5000K (this will further bring the brightness down) for working with text at night as it's close to what incandescent bulbs shoot out.

4500k - 5000k can only be set from video card settings and looks kinda awful at this settings:

- white is close to yellow, blue levels are displayed as red.. the monitor looks broken with this settings.

From the monitor panel you can only go as low as 5700k, which is better then above settings but even this affects color levels and the way their displayed.

Are you sure you have this monitor?!

Last edited:
Yeah you're right XSAliN about the temperature slider. I just checked the settings I had done two weeks ago to achieve 6500K white at 0% brightness:

What I did was leave the temperature slider untampered with, and altered the RGB gain settings as follows:

R: 50
G: 51
B: 40

If this screen has only an 8 bit LUT then this setting does incur a loss of digital levels in the blue channel.

As a side note, when you go down to 4500K, your white will become yellowish - the whole point is to have the color on the screen match the color of a white piece of paper illuminated by an incandescent light bulb (fluorescent lamps render an even lower white temperature). You can do this without an instrument.

Last edited:
And what color profile ICM/ICC did you used, cause the default profile (the one that's installed with the drivers) exceeds in contrast per color levels, which lead to detail loss in most colors. Disabling it, ads a Huge positive difference...

And also, keeping the contrast at 70 (factory settings) hurts my eyes after long use. :(

And what color profile ICM/ICC did you used, cause the default profile (the one that's installed with the drivers) exceeds in contrast per color levels, which lead to detail loss in most colors. Disabling it, ads a Huge positive difference...

And also, keeping the contrast at 70 (factory settings) hurts my eyes after long use. :(

I used the one generated by Datacolor's software during calibration. But since it will be hard for you to set a 6500K white using eyes only I'm afraid you won't be that better off with it.

But, I guess you can give it a try and see for yourself: send me your mail in a PM and you'll have it by the end of the day.

See, that's what I'm talking about since the default one is awful.

I PM-ed my mail address. Thanx.

Out of the box, there was no audible humming: I've a very quiet computer, so I wouldn't have had any trouble picking that out.

This is good!

As for graphics processing, if you value color fidelity, than this monitor is suitable only if you work during bright daylight hours. Any lowering of contrast on the monitor or on the video card incurs a color reproduction penalty. As an epitome of color matching equipment, Eizo recommends using its CG series screens with luminance up to a max of 80 cd/m2 for best results, interestingly enough.
I know, you are totally right but I just want a home monitor I could use for all home-related issues. Eizo's monitors are great but are also fat too expensive so are worth buying by professionals that make money from them. Also, most of Eizo's EUR 600 - 800 monitors are VAs and their IPS-es go far more expensive, also they have a lot of input lag and are not generally suitable for games and watching of movies.

This is why LG W220P seems to be a relatively universal 22-inch monitor, especially about claimed low input lag and response time and the IPS matrix. By the way, why did you buy this monitor? For general use?

I am planning to buy it next month or so and am still wondering if there is another 22 non-TN monitor at similar price that could be used for general home use. I've had enough dealings with Dell2209WA so if this is the only choice, nope!

It however seems that I will again need to use my video card settings to reduce brightness on LG W220P. Why do they produce such bright monitors when no one could use them normally - only for claimed high contrast levels at brightness no one could handle!!

It however seems that I will again need to use my video card settings to reduce brightness on LG W220P. Why do they produce such bright monitors when no one could use them normally - only for claimed high contrast levels at brightness no one could handle!!

I doubt it's like Dell's, but on the other hand it's normal to be a difference compared to Eizo S2000 which uses an A-MVA panel, and it's also a professional monitor.

Also, most of Eizo's EUR 600 - 800 monitors are VAs and their IPS-es go far more expensive, also they have a lot of input lag and are not generally suitable for games and watching of movies.

For the vast majority of people 30ish milliseconds of input-lag is not something they notice. So please stop saying they're not suitable for gaming or watching movies (!).
You yourself might be super sensitive, I don't care, you're not the average person and you're only misleading people with statements like this.

An normal person has a reaction time of about 200 ms by the way. Gives this inflated input-lag discussion some perspective.
http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

(Re: SolidBase's comment) Input lag has nothing to do with watching movies (perhaps you're thinking of response time?). In fact many of the best rated movie watching displays have very high input lag because of all the processing they do.

On the other hand it's hard to argue against people being able to perceive 30ms of input lag vs 0, there's no question I can and so can many others. Let's not derail this thread on whether this is the case or not. I wouldn't say 32ms of lag (2 frames @ 60fps) makes a display unsuitable for gaming, but it's borderline for some games - any worse (i.e. >= 3 frames or 48ms avg), and I personally would never buy another one of those. 1 frame or less is ideal (i.e < 16ms) and I would argue close to imperceptible.

Last edited:
For the vast majority of people 30ish milliseconds of input-lag is not something they notice. So please stop saying they're not suitable for gaming or watching movies (!).
You yourself might be super sensitive, I don't care, you're not the average person and you're only misleading people with statements like this.

An normal person has a reaction time of about 200 ms by the way. Gives this inflated input-lag discussion some perspective.

That's HAND REACTION, a good eye can spot that image faster then 15 ms. It goes something like this: - you spot it in 15 MS, than the brain sends a signal to your hand and by the time it clicks 215 ms could pass. A monitor with 200 ms could be used only for watching a frozen picture.

Input lag and pixel response time is not the same thing.

I'm sorry if I concerned you in any way. I think I know what input lag is: this is the time a monitor takes to process and display the signal from the video card - isn't it? Precisely, this is the time between the actual input of the signal in the monitor and the picture on it itself. Response time is the speed pixels take to switch on and off (transform between white and black in general).

In the expressed opinions, I have not been involving anyone else and just expressed my observations and knowledge. When you have used some displays prior to the present moment, you could definitely know what they are like. Some people would never even notice that the display resolution is not native or highly differing than such one, able to show normally desktop icons for example. Anyway...

sethk, maybe you are right about the input lag on bigger and best rated displays but I think they have exactly for this reason many technologies, trying to compensate the high input lag - like ability for operating at higher refresh rate and many others, depending on brand and matrix!

XSAlliN, thanks again! No one said about the monitor's behaviour when used though the HDMI. Are there only modes for 4x3 and fill? Have you tried watching movies, using external players on W220P?

Nope, didn't try external players. As for HDMI, that's same as DVI-D but with Audio as an extra feature. Could try it with my video-card, since it's capable of HDMI (both video signal and audio) but don't think it's worth it, since my sound card is better then that. :)

Are there only modes for 4x3 and fill?

If you're referring to aspect ratio, it has only one option for that 4:3 Wide or non wide (ads to vertical lines on each side). Kinda limited from this point of view, yet I know only few monitors, like the ones from Nec with more features for this function.

Has anyone used this monitor for Xbox 360 / Playstation 3?
Will it display them correctly? They are 16:9 signals, hopefully they aren't scretched to 16:10 :(
Also, I have a TN Samsung, with HDMI, 1680x1050,22", and I can play xbox 360 in 1920x1080 on HDMI, it supports the 1080p signal, the monitor scales it to 1680x1050 somehow, can this LG do the same??

Also what about screen reflection? Are they about the same in that aspect?

From this point of view I believe they are the same but those that tried both say LG is better, as in "doesn't show that greenish grade of Dell (don't really know what he's reffering, but maybe Dell users do...) and no noise from behind (another problem with Dell). On the the hand, I do believe Dell is a lot better in terms of construction, ergonomics and quality of the plastic used. This doesn't affect display quality I know, but LG sux in more ways then one when it comes to this. For example - you can't push it all they way down, so you have to set you chair higher, then the quality of the plastic is below average.

Found a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rja7wWD29KI - yet you have to know where to look and might also help if you can feel it.

Back