LG warranty service blows

DanK

Gawd
About a year ago, I purchased a 19-inch LCD monitor from Newegg, the LG L1930B. It fit the 3 criteria I wanted in an LCD: 19", S-IPS panel for good color reproduction, and DVI input. I was very happy with it.

Fast-forward to about a month ago. The screen developed a bizarre pink stripe down the middle. "Hm, this sucks," I think to myself, "good thing it has a 3-year warranty." And since the screen went defective within the first year, LG pays shipping both ways. Not bad, right?

So I called them, they mailed me a shipping label, and I sent off the screen to their RMA department. About a week later, I get a box from them... containing an L1950. TN panel, no DVI. Mistakes happen, right? I called them up, told them about the mistake, and they sent me another shipping label.

Another week later, another box... containing another L1950. I guess they just didn't look to closely at the RMA, and replaced it with the same type of screen that I sent in (probably 99% of what they do). I called again, got another shipping label, and sent it back.

The next week, I received a much thicker-than-normal box. It contains the correct model screen! Rejoice! I put it back where my old one was, power it on... and it has 4 dead pixels. :mad: WTF? They sent me someone else's defective screen. I'm starting to get mad at this point.

So I called them again, and told them about the dead pixels. The support rep apologized, and sent me a shipping label for another exchange.

Today, I get the replacement screen back... and it's an L1932, another TN screen.

Are these people retarded? It should not take 5 attempts to send me the correct screen. In addition, the replacement monitors they send are reconditioned, which wouldn't be a problem, except that they only warrant reconditioned monitors for 90 days - this means that I get shafted out of nearly two years of warranty coverage just because their screen was defective.

I'm quite pissed now, and I really would like to bitch out someone over the phone. They have wasted more than a month of my time, and limited my productivity. (If I hadn't had an old CRT to use as a backup, I would have really been screwed.) I'm going to call again later today, any tips for me? Should I ask for a manager right away? (I don't want to chew at the normal reps, since it isn't their fault.) Should I ask for a new screen, considering all the trouble they've caused me?

This is why I think Dell's LCD warrenties are actually pretty damn good. Plus they overnight.

Yeah, as happy as I was with my original screen, this ordeal has easily made it not worth what I paid for it. My next purchase will probably be a Dell.

That's why I will never buy another LG product again. I had a 19" CRT I had bought from them, and the thing started going dim and the image began to expand offscreen 1 month after the 1 year warranty expired. I talked to a service rep about it, and was basically told there was nothing they could do. I explained that a CRT dying just over a year old was unacceptable and that I would never buy nor recommend an LG product to anyone ever again. He said he would talk to his manager and get back to me.

They ended up sending me a shipping label and fixing it for free, which probably sounds great. The only problem was that whoever fixed my monitor laid it facedown on a surface that must have been covered with sand and scratched the CRT tube badly. That was the final straw for me, and I will now never buy from them again.

Well with Dell you can very likely find your S-IPS screen replaced by a PVA and they likely will leave it at that.

The 2007fp was originally S-IPS, but when I ordered mine I got a PVA screen. That is it, no recourse, because Dell never says its screens are one type or another, they just use whatever they get cheaper.

WTF? They sent me someone else's defective screen.

Just cause it has dead pixels doesnt mean it is used - their dead pixel policy might just be more then 4 line Sony.

Dell RMA service is better then any - i dont know how of any company you cn send back your lcd 20+ times to get one with less backlight, or even if you have 1 dead pixel.

MrGuvernment said:
Just cause it has dead pixels doesnt mean it is used

This is true, but the "RECONDITIONED" sticker that they put on the back (along with small scratches and other signs of wear) does mean that it's used.

Snowdog said:
Well with Dell you can very likely find your S-IPS screen replaced by a PVA and they likely will leave it at that.

The 2007fp was originally S-IPS, but when I ordered mine I got a PVA screen. That is it, no recourse, because Dell never says its screens are one type or another, they just use whatever they get cheaper.

lol

OK, here's what happened when I called LG today.

I spoke with the supervisor, and when I said I had some issues he knew right away who I was. Their stock is limited by what gets sent in for reconditioning, and they didn't have any of my original model, so that's why they "upgraded" me to the L1932TQ.

I explained that I bought the L1930B because of its color accuracy, and he countered by trying to convince me how great the screen they sent me is. ("It has a 1400:1 contrast ratio." Yes, I can read the sticker on the box, thank you. :rolleyes: ) So I further explained that color accuracy is very important to the work I do, and that the screen they sent me had nice features except for color accuracy, and was therefore the exact opposite of what I needed.

The best he could offer was to set up another RMA; I can send in this screen and hope that they get an acceptable one in the days in between now and when this screen gets back to them. I'm not sure I want to take the Russian roulette approach again.

The other option would be for me to not use this latest RMA, and instead sell this one and get a different screen (definitely not LG). If I was a response-time fanatic and didn't care about color accuracy or viewing angle, this is a great screen; the response time is extremely fast. The screen is in very nice shape, it's got both DVI and VGA, and has no dead or stuck pixels. I found it listed for $360 on Best Buy's website (and no place else, which leads me to believe it's a Best Buy-specific model). How much do you guys think I could sell this for?

Back