Lian li Case. with 80mm fan holes. water cooling question

Azn226

Limp Gawd
ok i don't wanna cut into my lian li case since i just paid $130. and im plannin to do water cooling. if u look at my sig tahts what i have. i was planning on getting a dangerden TDX. with a L35 hydor 325gph pump. with a RES. and heres the question. Since theres already 2 80mm holes (one on top and one in the back) and i already have 1 Black Ice Micro Rad. should i just buy another one. and Use two of them? or am i better off using a 120mm Rad? :confused:

gclg2000 said:
i say go with 1 120. Keep it simple if you can't cut up the case.

if i do go with it im gonna have to cut it :( oh well i guess.

well if you do not want to cut your case all that much you can do what this guy did. i plan on doing this too.
radontop.jpg

LOL, don't place the radiator right above a hot PSU though...
Damn, you know, I keep realizing that no matter how hard you try, a PC will never look as clean inside as a Mac...
Pitty we don't have wireless IDE? HAHHAA just kidding.

I haven't but i'd imagine it'd add a decent amount of restriction. Combined with the fact that its smaller and uses 80mm fans, I'd say just go with circaflex's suggestion.

Hadez026 said:
I haven't but i'd imagine it'd add a decent amount of restriction. Combined with the fact that its smaller and uses 80mm fans, I'd say just go with circaflex's suggestion.

ok thanks. for all the help guys.

Circaflex said:
well if you do not want to cut your case all that much you can do what this guy did. i plan on doing this too.
radontop.jpg

PC70/75's rock... I love mine.. I am never going back..

krizzle said:
Damn, you know, I keep realizing that no matter how hard you try, a PC will never look as clean inside as a Mac...

Actually, with some work, it can be every bit as clean. What you need is a 24" IDE ribbon 2-drop (it's over spec length, but it's ok since it will only be pushing ata-33 speeds, which is fine up to 26 inches...this is for your optical drive)

A SATA cable...longer is better

A spool of red, black, and yellow wire, and punch-down style molex 4-pin HDD type connectors.

Soldering iron.

Dremel

Patience.

basically rewire your PSU to have precise lengths to all components in as few runs as possible, then routhe your SATA and IDE cables through the mobo plate and around to your components....presto, one clean as hell PC. Now the tubing job is another matter...

I did the same. I plan on redoing everything when I upgrade the major components. cpu/mb/gpu. Because I'm going to add a waterblock to the vid card. So it's going to take a bit of adjust the tubes to fit it in there.

water4.jpg

krizzle said:
The radiator isn't affected by the PSU, considering there isn't a hole at the top of the case, and the PSU is blowing it's hot air out the back ;P

As far as the 2 BIMs, the barbs on the thing are 3/8" (unless i have 2 weird ones)... And i would always go bigger (i.e. 120mm heatercore) because the benefits will be greater, and i imagine the surface area is better than 2x BIMs. Just add a shroud to that and it'll perform pretty great. If room/not wanting to mod is really a concern, you'll probably want to look at the BIMs, especially if you already have them (one). You'll need at LEAST 2 to have anywhere near a decent performing setup. But if that is the case, i'd look at using 3/8" tubing, it's a lot easier to route, and it'll be easier to keep the case looking stock. (i dont know which model exactly you have, so i wont' discuss that). If you DO use 2 BIMs, the flow will be restricted, and you probably are looking at quiet/cool rather than 'ready-to-handle-a-huge-overclocking-load'. And Lian-Lis are pretty friendly to modding, if anything, i'd just do the radiator-on-top method as above.
You shoudl notice that the rad is elevated and sucking (i assume) air through it (shrouded). It's a pretty good setup, and with the radiator on the outside, you aren't affected by hot air inside the case (since with watercooling, you don't need as many/any case fans [at least that's how i see it :D] people disagree with me on that point though. A radiator outside the case makes a pretty big difference vs. a radiator crammed in there.

Another point i'd like to make is that a standard 120mm heatercore (chevette or otherwise) will fit almost perfectly in the top of the case between the 2 extensions to the 5.25" trays (the curvy ones with the white plastic edge guards on them). The heatercore will Jam right in there and you can secure it however you want, and keep the stock look while yo'ure at it. You'll HAVE to cut a hole in the top for that method though, but it's not too bad. I think a 4.5" hole saw from the HOmE dePOT will fix you up rather nicely.

Back