Lian Li choices... which one is right for me?

iqwertyi

Limp Gawd
So, first off, I wish I can get the V1000 or V1200 but I've never spent that much on a case, and I just cannot get myself to do so.

With that, I'm looking at some of there less expensive alternatives.
My main goal is cool and quiet. But keep in mind that his machine will be sitting next to the tv rather than right next to me.

Next, I already have an Asus P5B Deluxe and E6400 and Antec Neo HE 550. Not sure on the vid card yet, but I may be getting something like an X1900. Nothing too crazy. I'm also condering one of those after market heatsink/fan for the CPU to keep the noise down and keep it cool.

So, I was looking at the V600B cause it looks cool. But I think it may be too small for my components? Also, it looks like it only has a spot for one 120 mm fan.

Next, PC-60BPLUSII. 2 120mm and 2 80mm. I'm guessing it will definitely stay cool.

I guess then comes all the mix up. Besides the number of fans, I really don't know the diff between that and the PC-7BPLUSII, PC-65B (window?), PC-6077B.

So, any suggestions for a first time Lian-Li buyer?
FYI, I've always bought Antec before. I liked them and still do. I just wanted a plain looking design and all black. I think they have one called the solo, but it has a silver face :(

Thanks.

The V600B actually comes with two 120MM fans. I enjoy the fans that come with Lian-Li cases as they're quiet and take care of the job well.
Personally, the V-series Lian-Lis are my favorite cases so I'm a little biased in saying that you should purchase this one. I have a V600A.

The PC-60BPLUSII is going to be excellent quality as well, and the two extra 80mm fans are nice. I just think the V-series looks better and the hard drive racks are nice.

The V1000 you mentioned is very nice. I have a V2000BplusII for my server which is larger. I like how the power supplies are mounted on the bottom on these cases.

Fan-wise, the V1000 would be more comparable to the PC-60BPLUSII and I would imagine it would be quieter as well as it has 3x120mm instead of 2x120mm 2x80mm.

Basically, if you want more fans, go with the PC-60BPLUSII, but I'd still go with the V600 for the style

Typing this out makes me want to replace my last non-Lian-Li case going (my main rig), but I'm too fond of the CoolerMaster WaveMaster still I think.

Thanks for your input.

I do like the V600B, but I'm a little concerned with the placement of the PSU. What type of CPU fan are you using? What's the largerst fan (you think) will I be able to fit? I doubt those scythe things fit there, do they?

Thanks

I know that a lot of Lian Li cases require that the motherboard be flipped over. It's supposed to assist with the overall cooling. Since many motherboards use passive cooling for chipsets, there seems to be a problem with operating these boards upside down. I don't recall the specific reasons for this (may even be BS), but I know there are a few threads on the official ASUS boards that discuss this and warn of the effects of the flipping of the boards on Lian Li cases. I have always been a Lian Li whore, but I didn't want to take a chance this time and went with Silverstone. No complaints, but if you're sold on Lian Li, it may be something you want to consider.

Good luck!!

You're correct, a Scythe cooler would most likely not fit. My V600A box uses the stock cooler; it's a P4 [email protected]. Those chips were famous for that type of OC on stock cooler. My goal with that system was quieting it down, so I have considered a Zalman cooler, but it's pretty quiet as is.

The PC-60BPLUSII will have much more clearence for a large cooler, as if you wanted to use a larger CPU cooler, you could just remove the shroud. Again, all personal preference. Both have the 120mm fan over the video card.

The motherboard is inverted in the V600 where as in the PC-60BPLUSII it is not. I'll admit I like the inverted motherboard mount, but that's just because I enjoy the hard drive placement with the 120mm fan.

iqwertyi said:
FYI, I've always bought Antec before. I liked them and still do. I just wanted a plain looking design and all black. I think they have one called the solo, but it has a silver face :(

Thanks.
The Antec P-180 has good airflow, plain, and available in black. I'd get one but it's a bit cramped for my taste and I don't like steel. Also, unless you get one of those HIS ICEQ3 X1900s, you'll definitely need to replace its hsf, and not the cpu's. I have an X1900XT and the noise pisses me off. It easily gets to over 3500 rpm and runs HOT HOT HOT and loud as a small vaccume cleaner. I'm planning to get a VF900 for it. The stock intel HSF, however, has worked great for me. It runs at about 600-1200rpm and keeps my cpu at 27C idle, ~32C load. This is with 100% stock, no AS5, and the room temp is about 73F. I appear to be in the vast minority though, with most people not even getting that low with aftermarket hsfs. :confused: I took mine off right after I mounted it (I put it on wrong) and the remounted it; maybe that helped. :confused:

Thank you all for your input.

I did consider the upside down motherboard thing, may be an issue, but the PC-60 is right side up (yeay).

I do like the overall design of the P180 from antec, except one thing, I don't like those front cover stuff. Mine always ends up breaking up since I access the dvd a lot. Most of the time, I leave mine open or they just end up breaking. So, trying to avoid that mistake again.

Arggg. I hate decisions.

I'll check out if silverstone's got some plain looking (and not too expensive) cases.

Thanks again.

On the passively cooled chipset on an inverted motherboard...

I have a hard time believing that the temp difference can be substantial enough to consider, especially with proper overall ventilation. I could be wrong though. If that is indeed a real problem, get a chipset cooler with a fan. Easy fix.

Back