Lian Li PC-7FNW (would this suit me)

Dulak

Limp Gawd
I decided one of my upgrades should be a new case; going from a antec solo, with 4 HDs, 3 case fans, and a 5770 ATI. (It is a complete cluster %^&* for cable management and to work in the case)... Although it is fairly quite.

To something that could fit a 6950 and be easier to work in. (There is a chance I could get a sapphire 6950(found out they are the smallest 6950's out there) to fit in my solo but it could be a real tight squeeze and might be time to set my solo to pasture. (I plan to do a few upgrades in the future so why not start with a nice new pretty case).

The Case

My main criteria for a new case are these:
1. Can fit a 6950 (or such board in the future)
2. Medium size; not too big and not too small.
3. Simple yet elegant design (so my new wife doesn't mind the looks of it out in the open).
4. Quite; doesn't have to be completely silent; atm the antec, my fans, vid card, and HDs all veer toward the quite side and prefer to keep it this way. Yes when I play a FPS I hear the vid card fan spin up; but I can deal with that.
5. Able to hold at least 3 HDs and prefer 4. I was eying the pc-8n; and I figured I could go with 3HDs and a SSD but I'm not positive I want to go with a SSD atm.

Ive analyzed all the lian li's the 60, 7, 8, and 9 and all their accomplanying letters.

I think I've narrowed down my choice to the PC-7fnwb(or x if I want it to look prettier inside but for more $).

How did I come to this decision ...
First off I have perused the boards and have not seen another case I like with the above criteria; I would definitely go with another solo if only it was slightly longer; I don't want any of the other antec cases I have seen; IMO the new solo II looks worse then the old one.

The lian li's caught my eye with the pleasing appearance and the simplicity.

My questions are these:

1. How noisy are these cases; say compared to a antec solo. (I'm not planning on doing any mods to the case except for parts I buy or undervolting the fans if need be).
2. Would having a side window make the sound worse?
3. How are the HD brackets (in regards to noise)
4. Is there a way to disconnect the blue led in the front fan?
5. Will one 140mm front fan be enough to cool 4 HDs ... running 4 AAKS WDs atm.
6. last question ... are you happy with yours or any opinions on the cases from lian li?

You appear to be decided on switching to that Lian Li, so I will say if noise is not your main concern (and it appears not to be since it's #4 on your list) go ahead and buy the Lian Li. Just know that it will never be as quiet as the Solo. Not only is the Solo made of very sturdy steel, it also has sound deadening material pre-applied and the solid front panel prevents noise from reaching you directly. Also, no stock HDD mounting system will be as effective as the elastic suspension method used in the Solo.

If you decide to stick with Solo, a little dremeling allows longer graphics cards to fit and it's an easy mod that has been done by many people.

Never thought Id be so picky about a case but I have been going over alot of reviews lately about them. Keep coming back to the pc-7. Although dont know much how loud it is.

Couple things I Dont like about the case - led front fan; I dont mind a window; since I used to sit with my computer cover off right next to me (I think I just like to look into the thing make sure its alive ;) ... but the led fan has got to go - reminds me of something a 13 year old would have.

and the front 140mm fan - I would prefer 2 120s like my antec solo; from what I remember I replaced both front fans with recommended ones from spcr and then undervolted them (silent as can be and cool quite well. Quite a difference with HD temps with and without the fans on. (I think the difference was about 10C)).
Point is not sure if 1 140mm fan will be enough.

... then I could go with a 8fi or the 9f which basically gives me the same size case but I get some monster HD cage (that from what I can tell the HDs have to be mounted with the cords toward us). And only given a 11.2 inch clearence for vid cards.

I have no use for 6 HDs. Perhaps 5 if I really pushed it eg 5 aaks and a SSD in the future.

but I dont want to be limited by my vid card size again when looking to upgrade.

anyways just giving my thoughts on where Im at on my case selection.

oh was going to say the corsair 650D did look intriguing - but it just seemed to big and that top fan looked too 'kidish' again.

-side note- I could probably live with a solo again (my actually case is a p150 eg same thing); IF I didnt have 4 HDs (actually 5 atm sitting in there) - almost impossible to work on anything with the small cramped space. Let alone like shaman said Id have to dremel the case to fight the card in there (just not sure where my HDs would go.

LianLi's are pretty much built around quiet, But I bought the full size one couple yrs back and it was best case ive ever owned. Its like the BMW of cases. Right now i have mid size case from lianli.

and the front 140mm fan - I would prefer 2 120s like my antec solo; from what I remember I replaced both front fans with recommended ones from spcr and then undervolted them (silent as can be and cool quite well. Quite a difference with HD temps with and without the fans on. (I think the difference was about 10C)).
Point is not sure if 1 140mm fan will be enough.

This is a non-problem because you add a Lian Li brand intake that will match pretty nice - it could be a hot swap bay, a HD holder or a simple fan + grill. It's just a cost thing.

... then I could go with a 8fi or the 9f which basically gives me the same size case but I get some monster HD cage (that from what I can tell the HDs have to be mounted with the cords toward us). And only given a 11.2 inch clearence for vid cards.

I have no use for 6 HDs. Perhaps 5 if I really pushed it eg 5 aaks and a SSD in the future.

Not really a problem either. Here is a good mod you could use for this HD cage problem if you went with the 9F

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/272699-official-lian-li-owners-showcase-thread-141.html

Of course plenty of people use a device that adds an intake to your 5'25" bays and moves the HD up there - giving your intake fans unobstructed flow.

You would have to check but a guy over at silentpc review did that to his 9F if I remember right. Lian Li could work for most people - its just a question if you want to spend the extra dough.

This is a non-problem because you add a Lian Li brand intake that will match pretty nice - it could be a hot swap bay, a HD holder or a simple fan + grill. It's just a cost thing.

Not really a problem either. Here is a good mod you could use for this HD cage problem if you went with the 9F

http://www.overclock.net/computer-cases/272699-official-lian-li-owners-showcase-thread-141.html

Of course plenty of people use a device that adds an intake to your 5'25" bays and moves the HD up there - giving your intake fans unobstructed flow.

You would have to check but a guy over at silentpc review did that to his 9F if I remember right. Lian Li could work for most people - its just a question if you want to spend the extra dough.

GC,

thanks for that link - been checking out alot of the pages there with all the lian li case mods - quite interesting. And in regards to that 9f mod - actually didnt look too bad.

actually just pulled the trigger on the pc-7fnwb yesterday ... was a bit worried about that large drive bay and only allowing 285mm for the 9f.
I think Ill be happy with the 7 thou; the drive bays will be full up once I get it thou - be using 4 HDs(or maybe 5) and just ordered a SSD.

Nice. I wonder if the top for the 7 and 6 (with the dual fans) would fit the 9F. Of course if you get that and a stealth bezel - its much cheaper to just get a Corsair 650D. Lian Li doesn't really seem to list all the cases their parts would work for. I know for example someone found a side panel that would work with the Lancool K7-B. The Stealth bezel worked on my Lancool..too.

This top:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=28189&zenid=30bd58cfe730f7999d005f6b2a97daf4
Granted the dimensions are a TINY bit different with the different cases - the 6, 7, 8, and 9...but they are amazingly close.

Once you get into this case hunting business you always find stuff you don't like about every case. It's the hardest part to pick.

Last edited:
Nice. I wonder if the top for the 7 and 6 (with the dual fans) would fit the 9F. Of course if you get that and a stealth bezel - its much cheaper to just get a Corsair 650D. Lian Li doesn't really seem to list all the cases their parts would work for. I know for example someone found a side panel that would work with the Lancool K7-B. The Stealth bezel worked on my Lancool..too.

This top:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=28189&zenid=30bd58cfe730f7999d005f6b2a97daf4
Granted the dimensions are a TINY bit different with the different cases - the 6, 7, 8, and 9...but they are amazingly close.

Once you get into this case hunting business you always find stuff you don't like about every case. It's the hardest part to pick.

I bet it would fit; but maybe a email might tell for sure ... I have stared at the lian li site for 2 weeks eyeing everycase especially the 6,7,8,9 models and they ALL look to be Very similar.

Seems like either just the front panel is different, or the drive cages - well cept for the regular 8 it has a top loading PSU (almost was going to get that since it looks similar to my antec solo (but I need the space for the HDs so that was out).
Guess when I get 'rich' Ill get 2 2+TB drives and then use one of my aaks drives for misc stuff. Then I could probably knock em down to 3 drives :)

I looked at that 650d - some things I liked about it and some things I didnt.

The front 140mm fans, does it have holes for 120mm fans ?

Back