Lian Li v351 serious heat problems...

Kr1z

[H]ard|Gawd
I heard of lots of people making gamer rigs from this case, and I went through with it and all I have done is been trying to keep this thing from catching on fire with all these cooling solutions.

What I have done as of now

Removed the hard drive cage -
helped cool down my GPU and northbridge by a small margin.

New northbridge cooler with a 80mm fan -
stock heatsink was idling at 80c and loading in the 100cs. Now its wa y better at 56c and loading in the mid 60s

CPU coolers-
Tried both the Noctua C12P and the U9B. The C12P had about 1 cm clearance with the PSU and the PSU fan blowing down directly on the other fan created a terrible airflow.
Now I'm on the N9B which seems to be quite a bit better than the C12P.
I have to keep both panels off to achieve a 55c idle temp and a 70c load. Once the panels come on idling starts at 70 and load in the 90s...

What I have come across is that removing the PSU away from the CPU cooler made a significant difference of about 10-15c once removed and placed outside the case. This helps alot with the northbridge as well that is right under the PSU.
BTW The PSU touches both the C12P and this N9B

Now I have run out of options either get a custom backplate which will run me around $70 to $90 (oh and it seems all the custom backplates files are lost and the only ones I found where for the v350 and I don't know if they have the same dimensions) to just move the PSU position over to the top of the video card potentially going to over heat my GPU instead
or
just move to a new case.

I know theres lots of you with this case. Any pointers on how to handle this? I'm sick of seeing this PC with the panels off, I'm not even going to bother with wire management until I find a good solution because taking this thing apart is a pain in the ass.

img1385c.jpg

img1386x.jpg

You can install a slim magicool 240mm radiator in the front, on a loop just for the CPU. And then get an aftermarket air cooler for the GPU.

Don't want to spend all that money for watercooling, radiator+pump+waterblock, thats comes to quite a lot...

Does a corsair h50 fit? And would it cool down a i7 930 overclocked?

I don't have his case, but regarding the PSU, have you considered getting a smaller PSU like the ST45SF. I think it has enough power for your needs and it does seem to come with a SFX to ATX PSU adapter bracket.

I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but I've never succumbed to the Lian Li Kool Aid. I went with Da Box and haven't thought about another case since. I've never had a problem as far as cooling goes (well mosfets blew up on my MSI 890GXM-G65, but that wasn't the case's fault). If you can hold out for the next release of Da Box, it should be more refined and polished than the first run.......which really was a beta run.

There are those who wanted to dive into SFF after seeing what Da Box could offer and found out that they're happier with regular ATX rigs as they don't have the desire to deal with the caveats of SFF, so you'll be able to find some for sale.

It should need no special hacking for good cooling right out of the box. It's shorter than the Lian Li as well.

I had similar or the exact issues to yours. My V350 just did not vent properly. It constantly overheated and ended up cooking 3 separate drives that I put in the HD tray. I ran with the sides off for the longest time and finally bought one of those 92mm fan adapters from front panel express but I just haven't committed to buy new fans for the thing. I would recommend

I eventually just dropped my setup in spare case and haven't looked back... SO I might not be that helpful! :(

I've built a dozen or so different set-ups in the V300+ series case. I've never had an overheating problem. Even with the front fan's set at 800 rpm's. Are you sure your getting good contact on the CPU? I'm using this CPU cooler, which compared to your Noctua is junk...and my e8400 in this set up idles at 36 degrees. The i3-530 set up I have idles in the 20's using a stock Intel CPU cooler. Both with large video cards, a GTX 260 in this case and an HD 5870 in the other, both idling at 25% fan and staying nice and cool. I turn them up to 40% when I game. Otherwise both rigs are completely silent.

P1020716.JPG

I'm using an HX520W(with the stickers removed) in both set up's. Perfect PSU for this case.

Good luck in figuring out your problem, but I don't think it's the case.

I'll also mention, you had to remove the hard drive cage to get those tall heat pipes on your PowerColor to fit in there? Taking a look at mine, they don't look like they'd fit otherwise.

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
I've built a dozen or so different set-ups in the V300+ series case. I've never had an overheating problem. Even with the front fan's set at 800 rpm's. Are you sure your getting good contact on the CPU? I'm using this CPU cooler, which compared to your Noctua is junk...and my e8400 in this set up idles at 36 degrees. The i3-530 set up I have idles in the 20's using a stock Intel CPU cooler. Both with large video cards, a GTX 260 in this case and an HD 5870 in the other, both idling at 25% fan and staying nice and cool. I turn them up to 40% when I game. Otherwise both rigs are completely silent.

P1020716.JPG

I'm using an HX520W(with the stickers removed) in both set up's. Perfect PSU for this case.

I'll also mention, you had to remove the hard drive cage to get those tall heat pipes on your PowerColor to fit in there? Taking a look at mine, they don't look like they'd fit otherwise.

Liquid Cool

The Noctua sticks up a bit on the PSU grill and heats it up even more in the process. I bought a Corsair H50, but I don't know exactly how I'm going to install it yet. A super low profile like yours looks like a good bet, but I'm not sure how it will stock up these hot i7s.

any guides for h50 installion in the 350?

Liquid Cool

Sorry Liquid, but I don't consider a Core 2 Duo or 32nm i3 exactly heat mongers, especially if they're stock. Throw an overclocked i7 in there and let us know how she does in that config.

Buy a Qv2E case I own 3 of them and absolutely love them. More than enough room for everything and you will have no problems with heat.

I don't have the top on the case in these pictures.

That case ^ has only a single case fan (120mm rear). its worse than the V351. V351 has 3x case fans (2x 120mm and 1x 80mm). Also HDDs get no airflow and block large PCI cards in the outer slots. Sounds to me like the OPs issue is s a problem with his setup rather than any particular short comings of the V351 (yes V351 could be improved, but as it is, it has great airflow for its size)

That case ^ has only a single case fan (120mm rear). its worse than the V351. V351 has 3x case fans (2x 120mm and 1x 80mm). Also HDDs get no airflow and block large PCI cards in the outer slots. Sounds to me like the OPs issue is s a problem with his setup rather than any particular short comings of the V351 (yes V351 could be improved, but as it is, it has great airflow for its size)

Not to mention it's no longer SFF.

I have 4x 120mm fans on the case and two on the CPU. It only accepts mATX motherboards so don't know why it wouldn't be considered sff.

I think you should do some cable management. Those cables towards your front intake fans are doing a lot of airflow blockage. Also make sure your fans are blowing in the right directions, stupid but everytime I install a fan it seems I get one reverse of what I am suppose to have it aiming towards. Just take a piece of paper over the fans to see if they are intaking or exhuasting real quick.

I have 4x 120mm fans on the case and two on the CPU. It only accepts mATX motherboards so don't know why it wouldn't be considered sff.

I stand corrected. Didn't realize the case had 4x side 120mm fan mounts. After reading up on the case it seems much better than I expected. Turns out the HDDs are high enough to clear most PCI cards, even SLI graphics cards (maybe not top side power connectors).

Definately fit the SFF category, exterior dimensions are almost identical to v351 (same depth, 10mm more width and 20mm more height)

The only drawbacks I see compared to the V351 is looks (kinda fugly IMO) and lack of space between PSU and optical bays (long PSUs are out, clearance for modular plugs is very tight)

I am surprised I can't find any threads about this case on [H]

Definately fit the SFF category, exterior dimensions are almost identical to v351 (same depth, 10mm more width and 20mm more height)

Another case I consider pushing the SFF limit. It's 3 liters bigger than Da Box/Micro Fly.
351>352>354. It's like Lian Li is mimicking Americans and getting fatter and fatter. Look at the Lian Li PC-Q08. That case has done to mini-ITX was Antec Mini-P180 did to micro-ATX.

When a case's volume exceeds that of one that can take a full ATX motheboard like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195

Its qualification as SFF becomes suspect.

You put all the makeup, shave everything, act feminine, flamboy all you want, but in the end: Rupual is a friggin man.

Back