Lian Li V600 or PC-A05B?

oneils

Limp Gawd
I'm sure you guys see countless threads like this, but I'm interested in your opinions. So, hopefully some will respond...

I'm hoping to build a new system within the next few weeks, the components will be:

e6300
Asus P5B
Corsair PC2-5300 (2gb DDR2 667)
Seagate Barrucuda 320gb (SATA 7200.10)
Liteon SATA DVD Writer
Raedeon x1950pro (or 8800gts if budget allows)
Corsair 620 Watt PSU
or
Silverstone Strider STS7F 750 Watt PSU

So, my question is, with these components in mind...are either of these cases well suited? (V600 - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22880&vpn=V600B&manufacture=LIAN-LI http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=18324&vpn=PC-V600B&manufacture=LIAN-LIor PC-A05B - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22877&vpn=PC-A05B&manufacture=LIAN-LI )

I don't plan to overclock, and I guess I'm just trying to figure out which of these cases would be easiest to work with or if any of the components I've selected pose any compatibility issues (with the case).

Thanks.

Size isin't too much of a factor. I just kind of liked these ones because they were small but could fit an ATX board.

But, yes silence is a factor. Depending on the cooling of the video card I get, I may end up installing an after market fan.

I've been looking at the 60b, but can't find a supplier here in canada. The e-tailer I normally use (ncix) doesn't have it in stock - and I'm guessing it would be a wait for a month or so. From what I can tell, no one really has this case in stock...and new-egg doesn't ship to Canada.

But, maybe the local retailer here might have it. I should drop in to see.

I personally think the A05 is designed better and allows for better airflow as well as a full-size CPU HSF. However I think the looks on the V600 are far superior while still providing adequate cooling. Its pretty much a toss up with those two in my opinion.

I have a V600. Very well made case. I originally intended not to OC...but that quickly changed and i tried to stuff a ninja in there. Doesn't quite fit w/o some creative placement :)

My vote's for the '05 case, should be quieter for you. You might want to switch to the HX 520 power supply and save some $50.00 in the process too, it doesnt seem like that rig would need the HX620.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm leaning towards the A05 right now. But it will be a close call.

i was also deciding between the G50 and A05. (the G50 has the same layout as the V600).

I ended up getting the A05.

My considerations:

PSU location is really tough to deal with in the V600/G50.
This inhibits a wide array of CPU coolers and tube routing if watercooled.

I didn't need four 5.25"drive bays.
I used one DVD burner and one Matrix Orbital display and one 3.5" card reader.
I found that all my past cases had extra drive bays that were never used.

Reverse airflow.
If you're aircooling, the A05 has an awesome setup where the intake air goes directly to your CPU cooler. It doesn't have to pass by hard drives and route it's way to the cpu.
(this, by the way, is great in the winter when you can have your PC near a window and have the window cracked open for fresh cool air)

I personally like the LOOKS of the G50 over the A05 but overall functionality trumped and I ended up w/ an A05 (feel free to view pics in sig)

hope this helps.

Hehe, thanks for the info Stormshadow.

And...It was your thread that inspired me to look at the PC-A05 in the first place :eek: , ;) .

edit- those lian-li accessories look great. Its hard to find someone that sells them in Canada though. Did you buy them direct from Lian-Li?

i
I personally like the LOOKS of the G50 over the A05 but overall functionality trumped and I ended up w/ an A05 (feel free to view pics in sig)

hope this helps.

Every time I look at your a05 makes me want to build one, lol. Nothing like going between big/overkill cooling and compact/a-ok cooling when thinking of a new case for my machine. Damn you! :D

Could someone please measure the distance from the top of the processor to the bottom of the PSU one of these days? It'd be soooo nice to know what coolers actually would fit in there. Obviously a HR-3 or Ultra-120 isn't going to fit, but what about an XP-120 with 120mm fan? Zalman makes some low profile coolers too.

Or...

Water cooling:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1145963
There were a couple better ones too, but I can't find them right now on a quick glance.

Gotta say, this was the exact same choice I had to make recently. Decided to go with the A05 as well (despite it not being properly released in the UK yet).

Only thing I'll be changing is to add a couple of extra fans at the top of the case to draw more air in over the GFx card(s).

I have a G50, apart from being an overclocking nightmare it's fantastic, cheap and small.
My next case will be an A05, with the power supply problem solved I see it as the perfect desktop case for me.
the only reason I can come up with to choose a G50 or V600 over the A05 is the drive bay advantage, with a couple of the hard drive extenders lian-li sells you can cram a bunch of disks into a G50 for a compact file server. this is my plan for the day finally retire my desktop.
another advantage might be the fans over expansion slots, but you can get a blower (a bit of an overpriced blower) for the A05 that will fix its fan deficiency.

How is the A05 compaired to the PC-7B Plus II for airflow. Now sure which to get. I would imagine it would be close because the A05 has the intake by the CPU.

thanks

That A05 looks awesome! This may just be my next case, my current P180B is just way too heavy for me to carry around sometimes.

I too am curious about the PSU to CPU clearing space. It would be nice to be able to put a Ninja in there with the right next to it.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm about 90% sure that I'll be using the A05 for my build.

Oh, and Ockie, I've been browsing your thread and have found some great info.

Also, Weenis, unfortunately new-egg doesn't ship to Canada - so I'm out of luck there. Sorry, I didin't mention that in my first post. But, thanks for the help.

Back