Libretto W105 US version already SOLD OUT!

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=W100
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-libre...=301&pf_rd_p=1272423142&pf_rd_i=libretto w105

Not bad for a days work.

Well I guessed this one about right, don't know how many of these Toshiba made availble in the US but apparently not enough. I noticed too that Conics.Net in Japan, the place I ordered raised their price on this thing (the W100 Japanese version comes with two battries and integrated WiMax radio unlike the W105 US version) from $1410 to $1460.

I would have to imagine that Toshiba will be making more of these and looks to be a good sign for Windows 7 slate and tablet makers in general, people want these things it would seem and some are willing to pay even a whole lot more for them than iPads. Of course this particular device is so damned unique it sold itself. Other slates will have to compete harder. But as I've been saying, there's plenty of market to go around for slates and tablets with many price points and capabilites.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Damn, I was about to put some bills down on that bad boy. That thing sold quickkkk!! I love the concept and really hope the obvious demand spawns more development for future availability soon.

I wonder how many models were made available to the states?

We all knew it would have some popularity but, being sold out doesn't necessarily mean a lot - it's not like Toshiba was cranking these things out like Apple makes iPhones/iPads, obviously. Couple of thousand or so I'd say coming to America, certainly not hundreds of thousands, not millions by a long shot.

Now comes the reviews of actual units hands on, that's what will truly make it or break it as a "cool" device to own.

Here's the first hands of a production unit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upEZSXGxWQ0

Pretty positive, 25,000 hits for this review in four days, there's a LOT of intrest in this thing no matter what.

Sure you right in that were at most probably talking 10,000 units but it is expensive and a lot of bloggers were VERY down on it because it ran Windows 7. One guy was saying he wish it ran Android and I don't know what he was smoking. An $1100 Android device? I seriously doubt that there's much demand for that.

But I do think that it does challenge your belief, which to be fair seems to be common in the mainstream IT media/blogging wrold, that all slates and touch screen devices have to cost $500 and have 10 hours of battery life. I think the market for these devices is wide open in many different form factors, sizes and cost. Heck, Apple is apparently looking to launch a 7" iPad this fall so even they I think see this as a diverse market.

Sure they cheaper the more units it will sell but there's ALWAYS going to be demand for the best and I don't want to see that market suffer because everthhing needs to be like an iPad. My reading of the tea leaves is that there's plenty of room for iPads, Androids AND Windows 7 desktop devices, not to mention Windows 7 CE devices which with Xbox gaming now are going to do well I believe.

I do hope that Microsoft does a LOT of work in Windows 8 for making it more touch friendly and getting devs fired up for better touch screen software with better eye candy and it would seem that that's exactly what they are doing. The big deal around Windows 8 will be touch and pen. The foundation is there, Windows 7 works well on touch screen of 7" or better overall but it does need to improve.

After viewing that video and some others, I will honestly say I'd never buy one of those Librettos. If I got one free or whatever I might use it but more than likely I'd sell it, rather quickly, but as for buying one myself, never. It's really tough to explain and while I do find it interesting, I just couldn't see myself ever putting it to use.

The perfect 'tablet' device for me still ain't been made, more than likely never will be (unless I do it myself), and that's not likely to happen unless I win a lottery or something. :)

Weird...

Imagine - read pdf or other ebooks/articles,etc on the top screen, take notes on the bottom half. Brilliant.

The Toshiba would be cool, but no stylus makes it not so great.

Yeah, the problem with adding a digital pen is the cost at this point. It would have been nice if Toshiba had added some type of palm rejection software but putting a pen with this is obviosuly on everyone's minds, it would essentially be Courier at that point from the hardware perspective. But this is a good first step towards Courier and getting the kinks worked out.

As far as it's usefulness use, I've got plenty ideas on what to use for it. The main thing is its size, it's the weight fn an iPad so very, very portable. For women or men with man purses fold it up and put it there, no need to worry about scratching the screen. The unit I've got comes with two batteries so 6 hours of run time in about 2 lbs, that's useful to me. Also the version I have comes with a WiMax radio which is better than 3G and no dongle. And while it doesn't support a digital pen it can function with a capcitive pen, I have no idea how well it will work without a glove but heck, it's the closet thing to Courier at this point so what can I say.

This device is full of usefulness just too exspensive at the moment for mass consumption but actually not by as much as many make it out to be. At $1100 (well is WAS $1100 until more come which I think is a no brainer since this sold out in a day) it's only $400 more than the 64GB iPad without 3G and less than $300 to and iPad with 3G. On thing that this thing clobbers the iPad on is typing, honestly how much better can a keyboard setup get on a touchscreen? Custom layouts is really about the only practical thing left and or course being a bigger. Plus you've got everything that an iPad doesn't, Office, Flash (without jailbreaking and in a broswer), choice of software and because of the keyboard and mouse setup the old Windows doesn't work on a touch screen argument is negated, pop up the mouse pad and that can be easier than even touch on an iPad for certain things like picture cropping. Photoshop on your iPad, well here you go.

There's just so much this damn thing can do in such a small form factor its embarassing.

This is what I'm waiting for over the IPad or Toshiba

The EXOPC

http://blog.laptopmag.com/exopc-slate-hands-on-the-windows-7-tablet-weve-been-waiting-for

Operating System.......Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit Edition
UI Layer....................ExoPC UI Layer
Screen type................Multi-touch Capacitive dual-touch, Pressure sensitive
Display......................11.6 inch 1366 x 768
RAM ...2GB / 2GB DDR2
CPU.........................Intel Atom Pineview-M N 1.66 GHz - 64 bit support
Graphics....................Intel GMA 3150
.............................. BROADCOM Crystal HD 1080p
Storage.....................32GB or 64GB SSD (SanDisk SSD P4 mSATA mini 32GB or 64GB, 130 Sequential Read, 100 Sequential Write, Trim Support at last clarification)
Wireless....................Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth...................2.1 + EDR
Ports..........................USB 2.0 x2
Dock
Card reader................SD/SDHC (32GB Max)
Light sensor...............Yes
Webcam...................1.3 MP
Speaker....................Built-in 2 x 1.5W
Battery.....................5 hours (estimated, could be longer based on usage)

O/S and UI Space Consumption
Windows 7 Home Premium + EXOPC UI = around 5GB, with the goal of getting it as low as 4GB before release

What Else Is Pre-Installed?

--- Windows Security Essential
--- Microsoft .NET framework 4.0
--- Microsoft Silverlight runtime for IE
--- Macromedia Flash Player 10.1 and PDF reader
--- EXOPC UI Layer

EXOPC Versions

32Gb
64Gb + GPS
32Gb + 3G + GPS (regions that can support it might be offered a 4G card)
64Gb + 3G + GPS (regions that can support it might be offered a 4G card)

EXPECTED Price Ranges (subject to change)

USD $599 to $649 for the 32GB base model
USD $749 to $799 for the 64GB base model

Not having to connect to a PC to get started as one has to with the Apple Ipad ( iTunes) and have to submit your credit card first.

The hardware does support 64-bit Windows editions. If you reinstall your own copy of Windows, you will need to visit the EXOPC website following installation to download drivers and the EXOPC UI layer. Documentation will be provided on the website re: Windows 7 optimizations necessary to bring your newly-installed O/S back to EXOPC performance standards.

The EXOPC currently supports all Win 7 tablet finger gestures to a 2 point standard (with a 10 point touch driver being developed).

The Keyboard will be the standard MS Win 7 tablet keyboard (although other keyboard options will be available via the app store).

The EXOPC supports all functions in both Landscape and Potrait mode, limited by the O/S only

Dual booting to another O/S such as Linux is possible (official support will only be provided for the Windows O/S).

Yes, you can replace the SSD Hard Drive. Yes, you will be voiding your warranty.

The GPS is true satellite-based GPS and is available on all models except the non-3G 32GB unit.

Note taking and free handwriting via stylus is supported, to the limits of the O/S.

The EXOPC will run all Windows applications that its processor, RAM, and storage will support

Last edited:
Hey, I'll be getting the Exo too! They've created a lot of excitement over that device and I think its going to to VERY well.

As expected, some folks got their W100's today and we can now expect a torrent (no, not that kind of torrent) of reviews and unboxings to start showing up. Here's one from today:

http://www.pocketables.net/2010/08/toshiba-libretto-w100-unboxing-and-first-impressions.html

And yes the W100 is sold out pretty much everywhere it was available in the US (meaning just Toshiba Direct and Amazon) and now the question is whether or not there's gonna be any more of 'em... some folks have even had their orders cancelled at Amazon after it first appeared on Monday so, if you did order one you might wanna check on it and see what's up.

Thanks for the link, not a bad initial thoughts post, a few gaffes and I think he’s a Windows Tablet PC newbie, at least with touch screens as I’ll explain later.

No doubt about the flood of reviews, this is the coolest and most unique gadget in production on the planet right now. My favorite point in the article:
•The "cool factor" is off the charts. This is definitely something that will turn heads and that you'll want to show off.

The most notable mistake which I can forgive because he hasn’t thought about it and since this is such a new device:

•All of the main components (SSD, motherboard, etc) are in the top half of the device, which makes it top heavy. Depending on the angle of the screen, it will tip over backwards when set on a flat surface.
It’s not top heavy it’s BALANCED because it’s DUAL SCREEN! It can’t be bottom heavy like a conventional laptop, that’s an issue with the form factor not the W100 per se. If it weren’t balanced portrait mode would be obviously a problem.

He also notes that the touch screen isn’t responsive and that goes back to my point believing he’s not experienced with Windows touch screen devices. Now he does have the advantage of having the device two days before me but having looked at a TON of videos and having a few conversations with Larry and Brett from Wow-Pow.com and Conics.Net respectively I think he’s simply missing the tap points, both of them have said that the screen is VERY responsive but that you might miss tap stuff here and there, it happens on even an iPad. Also not sure about the brightness issue, the screen looks VERY bright to me in the videos I’ve seen but VERY glossy, looks brighter than my tm2 and that’s almost as bright as an iPad at full brightness but once again that’s just my peanut gallery ramblings.

But the strangest lines from the review:
•I'm wondering who this device is really for. Other than long-time Libretto fans and general gadget fanatics, who will buy this and how will they use it?
•Could the W100 replace someone's laptop or netbook? With an external Bluetooth keyboard, I think so.

So you don’t know who it’s for but it can function as a laptop of netbook with an external keyboard. Well sounds like he answered his own question.

Back