Lifespan of CRTs

Haven't really gotten a definite answer on this, I'd say maybe 20-30000 hours before the electron gun dies.

I've got a couple of 14" (Philips) CRTs which have seen almost constant use over the past 15 years, and I haven't noticed any visible degradation of the image quality or brightness.

CRTs are such a mature technology that it wouldn't surprise me if a somewhat decent CRT could last at least 10 years or so with about 10 hours of use each day.

It's been my experiance that CRTs usually last until something bad happens to them, or until they get replaced with a bigger one *cough*.

Its also important to try and run CRT montitors with right brightness levels(calibrated) and not to swich them constantly on/off.(light bulb effect). I think this is the key factor how long otherwise good CRT will run.

I got a new "pro" CRT 6 months ago (manufactured october 2004), and i'm expecting it to last at least 3-4 years like "new". If my previous cheaper Samsung 950P lasted 4-5 years(still works but i sold it to a friend)...i dont see any reason why this more expensive aperture grill diamondtron tube'd monitor could not too.

Btw, what i'm interested to know, does monitor CONTRAST wear and tear monitor same as using too much brighness. I know using too much brightness(bad black level) does. Many calibration guides just tells to adjust contrast as the user like. Adobe gamma's calibration wizard actually recommends 100% contrast and leave it there.

So what do you guys think...would it be actually same to use 100% or 80% contrast or anything between, or would it be recommend to use contrast almost in full settings?(some say that monitors operate best at theyr max contrast) I have always thought that using more moderate contrast levels saves tube more but is it really thecontrast, alone, without too much brightness that can wear the tube too?

my Sony G200 has been working for 5 years now and counting. Although a few months ago a fuse on the PCB needed replacing inside *dangerous job!* :eek: :eek: :eek: - so glad we got it working though. I just love this monitor :D

Ive got a 12 year old KFC (yes, KFC) 15" that has been dropped, moved 10 times and it still works.

CRT's should last a very long time, just like TV sets.

At work, we use quite a few old-sk00l 17" Sony Trinitrons, and there has been quite a few problems with them lately. I'd say we've had these for a good 7-8 years.

BillLeeLee said:
Haven't really gotten a definite answer on this, I'd say maybe 20-30000 hours before the electron gun dies.

LOL. :D

I have an old-ass Packard Bell monitor on my server/testing rig that is at least 10 years old. It still works like new.

I have a 19" Phillips and a 19" NEC on my main rig. The NEC was bought in 1999 and had to go in for repair within 6 months. The Phillips is still running great.

So from my experience I can tell you the monitor will last between 4,500 and 87,000 hours. :)

Seriously though, it all depends on the luck of the draw.

p0intblank said:
P1 as in Penitum 1? LOL!
Yes the ole thing as two stick of 8mb ram. The harddrive is 1.2 gig, the CRT is still running strong how ever old it is, such a long time ago lol.

Shakezilla said:
Yes the ole thing as two stick of 8mb ram. The harddrive is 1.2 gig, the CRT is still running strong how ever old it is, such a long time ago lol.
The aforementioned 14" CRTs were originally used with 286 and 386 systems :D

I feel sorry for guys with CRTs because 98% of these people are actually staring at fishbowls. A CRT like Sony G200 can blow you away with beautiful, vivid colours while being dead flat! :p

I belong to the 2 % then with this 22" Diamondtron tube:
CRT_Monitor_p1230_small.jpg

ashmedai said:
Trinitron. ^_^

Actually Diamondtron on those new NEC/Mitsu/whatever including this HP p1230 is better than "older" Trinitron :cool:

Better, or different?

My understanding is that Diamondtron is the crap Mitsubishi came up with to try and compete with Sony. It's not some newer version or anything, it's an attempt to make something similar while getting around the patents Sony had. Like many such attempts, it's still good, but not quite as good as what it's imitating.

ashmedai said:
Better, or different?

My understanding is that Diamondtron is the crap Mitsubishi came up with to try and compete with Sony. It's not some newer version or anything, it's an attempt to make something similar while getting around the patents Sony had. Like many such attempts, it's still good, but not quite as good as what it's imitating.

I love my Sony G410R.... :p

i dont think the Diamondtron can refresh as high as Trinitron, dunno about colours etc though

I've had a couple packard bell monitors since '97 that still work but they both get fuzzy after they get warmed up. At my old job we used a couple 17" Packard Bell monitors circa '98 that were still quite clear and bright. I replaced my 15" PB with a NEC FP912 almost 2 years ago now, and its still the best CRT i've ever seen. I'd much rather use that monitor than this HP 1902 LCD I use at work

perplex said:
i dont think the Diamondtron can refresh as high as Trinitron, dunno about colours etc though

Mine does 2048x1536 85Hz.

I guess I'm in the 2% too then:
http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-~HP+A7217A-p17300777
It's an HP branded Sony GDM-FW900 24" widescreen. You should see HL2 on this $500 (shipped) eBay score... at 2304x1440@75Hz no AA/8x AF.
It's a 2001 model if I remember right, but I don't feel like wrestling 92.6 lbs of CRT goodness to look right now.

So far I've just had one monitor go out on me- a 4.5 yo 17" ADI monitor. It was perfect until all of a sudden it started dying... did this bright horizontal line thing.
I've also got a 1997 model Sun OEM Sony GDM-20E20. So far so good on that one. It's not as bright as it used to be, but I still only have it set at 61/100 brightness.

There are quite a few Dell P1110 21" trinitrons at work that are in pretty rough shape though, and I think they're maybe 5-6 years old. Some of them have gotten blurry, one turned green, and another is blurry and green. (not all green like the cable's damaged, the green is just way oversaturated) I'm wondering if perhaps Sony's displays are kind of like thier audio equipment. The good stuff is very good, but the cheap stuff that goes to Best Buy and Dell's "basic" 21" monitor option is nothing special, and perhaps offers less value than the competition. I had a Dell P1130 at my last job, and that was crap too. The NEC FE1250+ 22" diamondtron that sat next to it cost about the same and was far better, particularly from a color perspective.

At any rate, CRT lifespan is largely determined by the quality of the components. A good one will last until you wish it would just hurry up and die already. A crappy one may go in 5 years. At this point if you want one I'd suggest getting a good NEC/Mitsu screen (one of the more expensive models) or a used high end Sony, NEC/Mitsu, Hitachi, or Eizo.

be aware of the marketting talk of "flat surface" or "flat screen". it's actually not unless its a Trinitron (or Diamondtron? :confused: - i dont know for sure :rolleyes: ). one of my friends bought a Hyundai http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_CRT_Monitors_66.html

"Perfectly Flat" haha... sure... the screen was flat glass and behind the actual monitor screen was curved. It was hard to notice though, you could only tell on the edges.

Also only Trinitron monitors have the colours and vibrance second to none! :cool:

perplex said:
Also only Trinitron monitors have the colours and vibrance second to none! :cool:
I've seen Diamondtrons beat similarly priced Trinitrons. I had a pair of ~$700 screens on my desk at work at my last job. One was a 21" Dell P1130 (Sony tube), the other was a 22" NEC FE1250+. Both were about the same size (20" viewable), but the NEC was much better. Color on the Dell sucked in comparison.
Another thing worth noting is that Sony's basically out of the CRT business. Last I checked the only one they sold was a $1700 21" "Artisan Color Reference System". NEC/Mitsu still has a full line, from simple 19" screens to some absurdly expensive stuff.

that's true :confused: Sony have ceased to be a serious contender in the CRT business for a while now, so i don't really recommend you buying a Sony CRT as it'll be 2nd hand. my friend got a sony g200 from ebay after seeing mine, it's been working perfectly so far for him. you could also try your luck i guess. he paid about £50 while i paid £300 brand new about 5 years ago :D

I think Sony has basically stopped producing CRTs and are focusing more on flat panel displays and the like.

It looks like NEC-Mitsu might be heading down that path, that or they just decided to end production of their two best 19 inch CRTs (FP912/DP930S)

perplex said:
that's true :confused: Sony have ceased to be a serious contender in the CRT business for a while now, so i don't really recommend you buying a Sony CRT as it'll be 2nd hand. my friend got a sony g200 from ebay after seeing mine, it's been working perfectly so far for him. you could also try your luck i guess. he paid about £50 while i paid £300 brand new about 5 years ago :D
Depends on how old it is and where it came from. What you want to look for are corporate lease returns. Generally speaking they're a bit over three years old as typical computer equipment leases are about 3 years. You can probably assume they sat in an office for three years, being turned on in the morning and turned off at the end of the day. A good 3yo screen should have plenty of life left, and even a 21" won't set you back that much... they don'e usually seem to go for over $200.

I am thinking of getting a new Sony 21" g520 (the one I posted in another thread) for $275.
That or some kind of Diamontron.
The thing I'm wondering is whether Sony still covers the warranty on it.

Back