Light Peak Technology

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel demonstrated a high-speed optical cable technology (will be able next year) that will connect computers, laptops, displays, televisions, SSDs and other consumer devices at 10Gb/s using optical fiber. How fast is 10Gb/s? According to this, you could transfer a full-length Blu-Ray movie in less than 30 seconds.

geezus why dont they just make the cables a lot longer and hook up our whole pc's to the world wide web at crazy fast speeds? wait...

More speed to more distances to more devices to Moores law, what Intel's been doing is amazing.

and physical media is still the same old slow-ass bottleneck its always been...

For the consumer market, fiber has to be a lot more durable than I think it is today.
I'm not sure they can make a fiber cable nearly as durable as your typical ethernet cable is today, and without the durability, consumers are going to hate it and shun it...

Geeks will love it, 10G? That's insane. But if somebody trips over it and we have to buy another expensive cable, we won't be too happy.

For the consumer market, fiber has to be a lot more durable than I think it is today.
I'm not sure they can make a fiber cable nearly as durable as your typical ethernet cable is today, and without the durability, consumers are going to hate it and shun it...

Geeks will love it, 10G? That's insane. But if somebody trips over it and we have to buy another expensive cable, we won't be too happy.

Huh? There's nothing difficult about making strong fiberoptics...

Considering you can get a 10M cable for $10, I can't really see them being anything but cheap once mass adoption starts.

Media companies will squash the capabilties somehow when it comes to transferring their content.

Thats great and all, but if your server's drives are only capable of 60MB/s reads, well it means nothing really.

I hope they begin integrating fiber optics into circuit boards one day as the main transportation device of data. Instead of metal on silicon, how 'bout optic fibers on some other, cheaper material?

Is that plausible/possible/etc?

Thats great and all, but if your server's drives are only capable of 60MB/s reads, well it means nothing really.

This.

Still, I can see applications for it in the professional realm.

I hope they begin integrating fiber optics into circuit boards one day as the main transportation device of data. Instead of metal on silicon, how 'bout optic fibers on some other, cheaper material?

Is that plausible/possible/etc?

It would just be more complicated and expensive due to having to convert the optical signals. Its not like there is a ton of metal involved to begin with.

This looks great, the prospects and the actual lab! Tech heaven. Let us hope that this is realized on the main street market one day, by being supported and adopted by the industry. But only if it turns out to be the best best for a future interconnect.

seriously, Obama needs to give intel billions and billions of dollars and let them build whatever they want

shit, I did a double take before I realized that was G instead of M. wowzors.

With this coming out in roughly the same time frame, how will USB 3.0 be affected? The one saving grace will be that USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but will it be enough or will we have an entirely new 'standard' for connecting peripherals by the end of 2010?

Power transmission isn't a factor. This is a totally new interface and power lines could easily be added without making the cable overly bulky. An entirely new standard will be written when this comes to market which may give USB 3.0 a small breather or, it may be a none issue like 802.11n

They need to make SSD's be more like multi core processors. Comes in one physical piece but with the same effect as 4 Raided SSD's. I imagine some kind of solution will become available in 5 years or so at an affordable price.

An entirely new standard will be written when this comes to market which may give USB 3.0 a small breather or, it may be a none issue like 802.11n

About a third of the way in he mentions they can run multiple interconnect protocols over the same cable at the same time.

I'd imagine at first you'll see Lightpeak "Ethernet", Lightpeak "USB", Lightpeak "Digital media interface" just like he mentions. The protocols don't have to change, it's just that the transmission medium has gotten a whole lot faster.

Eventually you could have all sorts of combos once they can scale it up. For some reason rack mount KVMs keep springing to mind. Imagine running all your I/O through one 10Gb cable back to a head unit KVM, then connecting each rack with a 100Gb cable back to a main switch that ties your whole node together. You could even go double or triple redundant and still almost eliminate cabling clutter. :eek:

Or you could finally keep your PC in a remote spot without too much hassle. Could run HDMI/USB/Audio/SATA between 2 breakout boxes. Should be plenty of bandwidth for multi monitor even. Full fidelity, no lag, and I can't see it costing much after the obligatory gouging of early adopters. I have a closet that would be perfect. :cool:

You listening Intel? Make it happen. :)

This one really depends on how cheap and durable they make it and initial OEM support. Intel needs to get Dell & HP shipping computers that use it and they need to have Sony, Toshiba and others support it in their products.

If they can do that and work towards making it an industry standard at least (so AMD can implement it as well) then it could be a great bit of tech. If they don't, then you're really talking eSATA part deux.

Hmm.... PCIe over light peak for external card cages with PCIe switch chips?

Or possibly quickpath over lightpeak with beckton for scaling up Xeon MP beyond 4/8 sockets? Something like the way IBM scaled up with the xSeries x440 (and later the x460 and x3950, up to 32 processors over 8 chassis)

Do it with quickpath though, and you could scale upward to scores or hundreds of sockets possibly.

Hmm.... PCIe over light peak for external card cages with PCIe switch chips?

Or possibly quickpath over lightpeak with beckton for scaling up Xeon MP beyond 4/8 sockets? Something like the way IBM scaled up with the xSeries x440 (and later the x460 and x3950, up to 32 processors over 8 chassis)

Do it with quickpath though, and you could scale upward to scores or hundreds of sockets possibly.

I like the way you're thinking :)

what ever happend to OC198? is this not the same thing that has been around for a while?

Back