Lightning = New Guts

flurp

Weaksauce
Lightning did in my old PSU, MB and Processor.

My old 6800GT is still working as are my drives

I need a new MB/Processor/Memory setup and I'd like to stay AMD and have 2 GB of mem. 939 socket is fine for me as I won't upgrade the processor/MB for another 18 months or so.

I'm looking to spend around $500 for all three.

A friend is going to put it together for me, but I'm not particularly savvy. With that in mind, I will not be doingany overclocking (which from the threads I've read seems to indicate something like theOpteron needs) and I assume this is a big factor when comparing MB's and processors since enthusiasts needs differ so much from my own.

What's a solid, dummy-proof MB/Proc/Mem combo for me? I'll probably upgrade my vid card in 6-8 months, but all I play is WoW and the current card does fine.

Any help you folks could give me would be much appreciated.

A8N - Asus: 100$
X2 4200 - AMD: 200$
Corsair 2gb Value Select 225$

Should do you... if you stay AMD. An E6300 Conroe system will be much more powerful...

E6300 - Intel: 200$
Asrock 775 Dual VSTA: 75$
Corsair Value Select 2gb DDR2-667: 200$

Costs about the same too. That Motherboard is good because it's VERY flexible (PCIe or AGP, DDR2 or DDR1 RAM) but it doesn't overclock very well. Since you're not overclocking... Who cares!

Did you have a brand name power strip? If so, look it up and see if they have any insurance on it. That might be able to get you free components, otherwise do what Arc said and I'd go with the Intel systems. They just have so much potential!

Thank you so much

I'm not married toAMD, it's just what I've always had.

I don't know anything about the Conroe, or really anything Intel since I left my P2.

I'm wanting something that will be solid at stock specs.

Could you please just give me a nutshell explanation of why the Intel setup is more powerful? In what way?

thinman,I already tried that. They told me that they didn't have a record of me "registering" the power strip and I vaguely recall there was something of that nature in the original paperwork.

I screwed that one up I guess.

I'd look into that Intel setup. All things being equal, the Core 2 Duo system should perform a little better than the AMD one.

The Intel CPU is more effecient. There are four execution units instead of three, etc. Just do a little reasearch on Core2 Duo and you'll see why. They run cooler, work faster and are a better investment than an older 939 if you ask me (this coming from someone who went ahead and bought 939 in May when Conroe was so close you could taste it!)

Back