Lightning Pictures

Emberghost

Gawd
While on our trip to the east coast driving home from Florida we saw this huge thunderstorm so I had to take some pictures. I hope you all enjoy them. These are my first attempts photographing lightning and basically anything for that matter. I love this new camera and I know I will have many more good times with it.

lightning2.jpg

lighning.jpg

lightning3.jpg

lightning4.jpg

just curious, how did you do it???, just really long shutter and hope for lightning?

@ tooflyklu - Well I time them, they usually came and left in the same time each time. And the first one I think was a 2 second exposure and the rest were 8.

@ agentzero9 - Thanks, I feel thats my best photo so far as well.

Here's a shot I took around 17 years ago in Chicago. At the time it took me 3 rolls of 36 exposures (and some luck) to get about 3-4 decent shots. This I think is one of the best:
proudphoto03.jpg

Wow, those are some great pictures you guys have. I can't wait until we have lightning in California again. But even when that happens it won't be anything like back east.

Emberghost said:
These are my first attempts photographing lightning and basically anything for that matter. I love this new camera and I know I will have many more good times with it.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1439/lightning2.jpg

That's a really nice shot dude, and I'm currently using it as a Windows Background. I've never tried taking shots of lightning. May have to give it a try some time :)

Nice shots but I wouldn't advise shooting near bright lights like sitting cars or billboards because they'll show up too bright in your composition....

Emberghost said:
While on our trip to the east coast driving home from Florida we saw this huge thunderstorm so I had to take some pictures. I hope you all enjoy them. These are my first attempts photographing lightning and basically anything for that matter. I love this new camera and I know I will have many more good times with it.

lightning2.jpg

HOW in the world did you take that picture. There is no way there is enough light for the camera. I'm mostly talking about the other stuff that is going on. Tell me please, I need a camera that can do that!

PM me or something

Did somebody say...lightning?

with my Powershot G5 about a month ago:
muwahaha.jpg

muwahaha1.jpg

with my Yashica (that is now broken :( ) about a year ago
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

pug said:
HOW in the world did you take that picture. There is no way there is enough light for the camera. I'm mostly talking about the other stuff that is going on. Tell me please, I need a camera that can do that!
PM me or something

Long exposure. Lighting by itself is bright, and since i doubt most people have reflexes fast enough to catch it you leave the shitter open for about 15 seconds (well thats what I'm limited too on my digital camera, if you have bulb leave it on all night :D ) and hope you get something, and in 15 seconds prettymuch everything in an urban area will turn up pretty bright.

Out of curiousity (and I may have missed it), what camera are you using? I've been wanting to get some good lightning pictures, but we get crap for storms around here, and the good ones we do get always have buildings and such in the way. Never ending battle.

I love that first one though. It's real close to being my desktop. :D

Well post a digi cam that you like and can afford and we will tell you if it will or not.

Truly awsome shots. I love lightning. That is one reason I can't wait to go west the great lightning shows.

Killermac

Back