Linksys BEFSX41: Frequent IRC Disconnects

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
I've just hooked up a brand new Linksys BEFSX41 router, and while everything seems to be in order, I'm getting server disconnects on my IRC client left and right, from multiple servers. Research hasn't gotten me far, with most people saying it's an age-old problem that was never fixed. There has got to be a way!

I haven't tried much at this point, but disabling the firewall and/or setting the router to accept anonymous internet requests has yielded nothing. I had previously been using an old WRT54G, and had no issues whatsoever.

To complicate things, Linksys' firmware support site doesn't even acknowledge the hardware revision I ended up with: 2.1.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the recommendation. I tried turning off the IDENT blocking, setting the router able to be pinged, and forwarding 113 to my static IP, and the problem persists.

You could try turning on keepalives in your client, to put some traffic on the connection once in a while. Usually when I've seen this happen it's due to the NAT table entries getting flushed too soon after a few minutes of inactivity on the connection. When a packet finally arrives at your router, it's forgotten what its final destination is (and vice versa), so the connection gets dropped.

You need to either keep some traffic on the connection once in a while or increase the timeout (not usually possible on consumer gear like this, and it's often way too short to help mask the crippled maximum size of the NAT table).

I'm currently trying to set a timer to create some activity every couple of minutes. I've also read about that "keepalive" feature, which some people attribute to the fact that many GUI-based IRC clients seem not to take issue with these particular routers.

I'm currently trying to set a timer to create some activity every couple of minutes. I've also read about that "keepalive" feature, which some people attribute to the fact that many GUI-based IRC clients seem not to take issue with these particular routers.

What client are you using?

Back