Linksys routers...

starsfan7

Limp Gawd
So, I am curious. I have a WRT54G already, running hyperwrt firmware. My xbox is across the den in my new pad, and I don't want to string ethernet cable across the den. So, my question is, do I have to get one of those wireless xbox adapters, or will another WRT54G run as a wireless gateway?

Left this out, my PS2 is over there with it, and I have a switch for both of them, but a router is like 50 bux, where as one of those adapters is 80. So if I can run a wireless gateway pretty easily, I would prefer to do that.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure a WRT54G running hyperwrt firmware can function as a bridge, especially seeing as how the Linksys Bridge is 140.00$.

starsfan7 said:
Correct me if I am wrong here, but I am pretty sure a WRT54G running hyperwrt firmware can function as a bridge, especially seeing as how the Linksys Bridge is 140.00$.

i use the alchemy firmware and it works as a bridge so i assume it does with the hyperwrt firmware also

So a WRT54G would be able to provide connectivity via a WLAN with no wired WAN, right?

If anyone knows, it would be helpful, again to clarify what I am trying to do here: WRT54G 1 wired to WAN with PC's wired to router 1 --> WRT54G 2 on router 1's WLAN about 20ft away with xbox/PS2 wired to router 2.

yeah, but the only bridge I could find was like 140 dollars. Even the game adapter is about 80. A new WRT54G would only be about 50-60.

Use another WRT54G, also running HyperWRT. I have one main router and 2 extra WRT54Gs talking to it using WDS with WPA+AES encryption.

See directions here:
http://www.genslernet.com/hyperwrt

Make sure the WRT54G you buy is version 4 or earlier. You can tell the version by looking at the serial number:
CDF0 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF1 = WRT54G v1.0
CDF2 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF3 = WRT54G v1.1
CDF5 = WRT54G v2.0
CDF7 = WRT54G v2.2
CDF8 = WRT54G v3.0
CDF9 = WRT54G v3.1
CDFA = WRT54G v4.0
CDFB = WRT54G v5.0

Is there anyway to get a hold of those still? Of course the egg doesn't say what versions theirs are.

Back