Linspire still downloadable for free?

planetary

[H]ard|Gawd
I browsed their site, but didn't see it. I just thought I would ask in case I just overlooked it. Thanks.

required a coupon code...

you'd be better off downloading a real distro tho...

Originally posted by ameoba
you'd be better off downloading a real distro tho...
i'd have to agree with that....linspire is a windows wanna-be, linux is not. immitations are almost never as good as the real thing, completely new things [real distrobutions] are very often many times better than the standard [windows].

for the faint-hearted
fedora.redhat.com
mandrakesoft.com

for the ones who want to experience linux a bit more
www.gentoo.org
www.debian.org
www.slackware.org

now there are obviosly many more options, just have a look at www.distrowatch.com

Originally posted by MTB2Live,Live4Comps
i'd have to agree with that....linspire is a windows wanna-be, linux is not. immitations are almost never as good as the real thing, completely new things [real distrobutions] are very often many times better than the standard [windows].

for the faint-hearted
fedora.redhat.com
mandrakesoft.com

for the ones who want to experience linux a bit more
www.gentoo.org
www.debian.org
www.slackware.org

now there are obviosly many more options, just have a look at www.distrowatch.com

Well... I agree and I disagree.

I agree that Linspire is not really all that great. I found it very slow and essentially, it removed any benefit of using Linux. :)

(Certainly the geek factor was gone.)

I disagree, however, that Mandrake or RedHat lessen the Linux experience. You can still easily manipulate Linux from the command line in either of those, and none of the Linux-power is hidden from the user, it is simply enhanced by a "pretty" interface. I guess you could make the same argument about Linspire as well, but nothing about Linspire really "inspired" me. ;)

Originally posted by Josh_B
I disagree, however, that Mandrake or RedHat lessen the Linux experience. You can still easily manipulate Linux from the command line in either of those, and none of the Linux-power is hidden from the user, it is simply enhanced by a "pretty" interface. I guess you could make the same argument about Linspire as well, but nothing about Linspire really "inspired" me. ;)
this is true. i guess where my standpoint was coming from is that you can get by without using the command line, they will hold your hand should you need it. meanwhile distrobutions like debian and slackware and especially gentoo leave a lot more of the configuration up to the user and the initial install interface is often a bit less than pretty.

I like(d) gentoo and slackware so much because they ultimately forced you to learn the command line and not a kde/gnome/redhat/mandrake/suse/etc specific interface. kinda like they forced me into learning more in depth instead of just barely passing by on the surface. Plus with gentoo atleast, the documentation was all there. I felt much more lost in say mandrake's command line simply because it felt to me like the "backup option" and not really a side-by-side type of thing.

ultimately, you try different distrobutions and find what you like the best and what you feel the most comfortable with. i personally went through 6 before i finally settled on gentoo. and that was on a 300mhz machine. on my new athlon-xp there's no question in my mind that gentoo suits me best.

Back