linux kernel 2.6 & modules

DanK

Gawd
Hey guys,

I just upgraded my kernel from 2.4 (whatever is the default on Slackware 10) to the latest 2.6.8.1. Everything went pretty smoothly, but I made a mistake somewhere and I can't use the network card. I think I may have forgotten to create or load a module for it. Is there a way to fix this without recompiling the kernel again? It's not urgent (I kept the 2.4 kernel on the system), but I'll appreciate any help I can get. The card is a 3com 3c905C (Tornado).

Thanks.

if you cannot modprobe it.. you will have to recompile.. but it will not be near as long as your other compile.. you will only be adding one module.. so it may take all fo five minutes to compile and add to your lilo.conf

As I understand it, you simply compile that driver as a module and then module install it, then modprobe it, and you should be in good shape. No reboot needed.

XOR hit the nail on the head. Simple go back through you kernel setup, "make menuconfig" or whatever flavor you use. Find the network card and mark it as a module. Run "make modules" then "make modules_install". Finally, modprobe for the network card. a "depmod" goes in there somewhere I think.

You could also mark it as compiled into the kernel, recompile the kernel (this will be fast as mentioned) and then rerun lilo after you've properly placed your new kernel image.

Actually, the above can be simplified, below are some basic steps

goto kernel source dir
make menuconfig
find nessecary module for your card
enable its use as a module
exit saving config
make modules_insall (this will also build the module if it hasn't been done yet)
run depmod
modprobe module

and you should be good to go.

I know it would take a little longer. But, I prefer to compile the driver into the kernel. I've done the same thing, but I always go back and re-compile.

Back