Linux mdadm -- q6600 vs Opteron 170

Gambit

Gawd
I have a linux box running mdadm which is currently controlling a software raid array of three samsung hd204ui (2tb) drives. When I started, the box, I was using a q6600 with a few gb of ram, Being that this isn't anything crazy and is just a storage server atm, is there any reason I should *not* downgrade the cpu / motherboard to an opteron 170 and put the q6600 where it will hopefully be a bit more used?

As it is, I'm trying to figure out where I can use some of the older tech stuff that I have so I may have trouble finding a use for the q6600, but it seems like a waste of power and underutilized in general to have it sitting idle most of the time.

Yeah, use the Opteron, it is more than enough to hand mdadm with only a three drive array, especially if there isn't heavy use.

With a three drive array, why bother having a dedicated box?

But yes, the 170 should handle that load with ease, you can probably saturate gigabit on reads, not so sure about writes.

With a three drive array, why bother having a dedicated box?

But yes, the 170 should handle that load with ease, you can probably saturate gigabit on reads, not so sure about writes.

Because maybe I want the data to be shared among several computers and plan to grow it in the future :confused:

This brings me to my next question, at what point would the box benefit from the q6600 over the opty 170 (looking more at the "when it's actually doing work" perspective)?

Because maybe I want the data to be shared among several computers and plan to grow it in the future :confused:

This brings me to my next question, at what point would the box benefit from the q6600 over the opty 170 (looking more at the "when it's actually doing work" perspective)?

When you have more than 2 users. CPU bottleneck won't be mdadm but will be smbd. I moved from a dual core (Opty 165) to a quad core (Xeon X3430) for the same reason. Also, if you care about power, the Q6600 will probably save you more power.

Specify this in the first post then. ;)

Yeah, the Opteron should be more than enough to handle a single array, as long as it is a dual core you should be fine.

When you have more than 2 users. CPU bottleneck won't be mdadm but will be smbd. I moved from a dual core (Opty 165) to a quad core (Xeon X3430) for the same reason. Also, if you care about power, the Q6600 will probably save you more power.

Are you refering to the Q6600 being better on power while the system is at idle, or under load?

Specify this in the first post then. ;)

Yeah, the Opteron should be more than enough to handle a single array, as long as it is a dual core you should be fine.

:: shrug :: I didn't see the relevance as to why I would need to tell you I'm running Windows on my main machine (thus, no mdadm), sharing among other computers, and future growth when I'm asking how well an Opteron will handle a three drive array over a q6600. :)

Are you refering to the Q6600 being better on power while the system is at idle, or under load?

Both, I think.

From some forum:
Opteron 170
CCBBE0615DPMW
85.0W TDP

STATE Clock Vcore Idle- Load
STOCK 10x200 1.35v 68W - 117W
UNDERVOLT 10x200 1.15v 59W - 97W
UNDERCLOCK 5x200 0.90v 50W - 66W
OVERCLOCK 10x240* 1.35v - 128W
OC/UV 10x240* 1.25v - 113W

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1021794 and http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9400_11.html#sect0

seem to indicate the Q6600 is ~40W idle / ~110W load

Also depends on the motherboard, obviously.

:: shrug :: I didn't see the relevance as to why I would need to tell you I'm running Windows on my main machine (thus, no mdadm), sharing among other computers, and future growth when I'm asking how well an Opteron will handle a three drive array over a q6600. :)

Well when you are going to eventually have drive expansions and it will eventually be under more load, I would think it's kind of important, haha.

Well, as long as you aren't having 20+ drives on it, the opty should be more than enough, especially for medium-duty home/office work.

Back