Linux n00b's Fold Server Questions

magnusvir

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, here we go. In the future I anticipate having more than 4 computers and my 4 port router will not be able to handle this. I have been contemplating going to Fold Server so that I can save on buying cables and spending money on HDs. So I have a few questions on Fold Server:

1) So I know the server itself requires one NIC for the normal network as well as another NIC for the folding network. So for multiple clients do I need a network router, switch or a hub?

2) When configuring the folding client, can I configure some clients to go for small units and some for big units? And how do I make sure a 128 mb system takes the small unit part and the 256 mb system takes the large unit part?

3) can I use EM3 to monitor all my clients? If so, how would the Samba thing work?

That is all I have for now.

I'll punt....

Per 1. Your existing router/switch > fold server |||| fold server > secondary switch/hub (or reconfigure a SOHO router just to act as a switch...just get a cheap switch). Yea, two NIC's in fold server.

Per 2. It will actually auto configure the clients I think. Either that or your stuck with one configuration for all clients (one user name ect.). I'm 98% sure it auto configures, we spent quite a few emails figuring that one out. I think thou, you can lock it down to just timeless if you want.

Per 3. Fold server has it's own "EM3" deal, a web page you can access from the LAN or form the net if you do a forward for HTTPS. Also, you can reboot the boxen and a whole bunch of stuff. But if you want, EM3 also works too. Target the share folder on the fold server>individual directories.

+1 on topic post :)

1) Any of the above. Hubs will probably be cheapest. A switch does the same function as a hub except that it only sends traffic to clients where it's intended to go (and is thus faster, but it doesn't really matter for this). A router does the same thing as a switch, but it has one port for another network to connect to, and it routes traffic between the two networks.
2) The clients autoconfigure. It's the same system as in Foldix. It's based on how many processors you have, how fast they are, what extensions they support, and how much memory you have.
3) can I use EM3 to monitor all my clients? If so, how would the Samba thing work?
Yes. In addition to the built-in monitoring, there's a single share on the fold-server with all the clients' data on it, so you can add all the folders in that to EM3 and it'll work fine.

I think that's the most posts in one minute in such a small thread I've ever seen.

unhappy_mage said:
I think that's the most posts in one minute in such a small thread I've ever seen.

hey did you ever end up getting this thing to actually stop reverting back to your user name?

Yes, apparently people were editing the config files by hand rather than using the cfgfold command.

unhappy_mage said:

Doing our after work reading!! (or looking for some amusement at the end of a LONG day)

Back