Linux OS SSD recommendations $100 budget

outspoken

Limp Gawd
Hey, looking for a 200+GB to replace my old Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB.

The drive is still good, I just need more space. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel, Core i5-2500K

Thanks!

To me, it depends on how quickly you want it, and how hard you want to look. I got a new pny 240gb for $50 on sale. For $100, you can probably pick up a near 500gb if you keep an eye out for a good deal.

Some may also want to know what your needs/expectations are of the drive. Need the fastest thing around? Need a 10 year warranty?

A good compromise drive IMO would be the 850 evo ($99.99 as I post the link). It's been had for lower before, but its one of the faster drives you can get under $100.

Spending much less will put you in the "slow ssd" turf. Like the pny I got that "only" writes at 300mb/s vs the evo that writes at 520.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
To me, it depends on how quickly you want it, and how hard you want to look. I got a new pny 240gb for $50 on sale. For $100, you can probably pick up a near 500gb if you keep an eye out for a good deal.

Some may also want to know what your needs/expectations are of the drive. Need the fastest thing around? Need a 10 year warranty?

A good compromise drive IMO would be the 850 evo ($99.99 as I post the link). It's been had for lower before, but its one of the faster drives you can get under $100.

Spending much less will put you in the "slow ssd" turf. Like the pny I got that "only" writes at 300mb/s vs the evo that writes at 520.

pny 240G $50 is OK not good for speed and reliability :p
I have one on my aging thinkpad X60S, better than original X60 HD

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
pny 240G $50 is OK not good for speed and reliability :p
I have one on my aging thinkpad X60S, better than original X60 HD

That's kinda what I was referring to in the end. I figured it would be important to know what his expectations are for a new ssd. I was just replacing a 5400rpm drive in a laptop that'll just run chrome and excel, so the pny was perfect for me. A "slow" SSD isn't that slow if you're just using it to browse the web or to use low level productivity stuff.

If the op is running a linux server with high IO or if it's possible failure would lead to a loss in income (business laptop), than sure go with the samsung pro. :)

I'm over thinking the topic probably, but I'd hate to recomend a crap drive to someone who needs something more dependable. I'd also hate to recomend an overkill expense if it's just running the OS on a media center PC.

That's kinda what I was referring to in the end. I figured it would be important to know what his expectations are for a new ssd. I was just replacing a 5400rpm drive in a laptop that'll just run chrome and excel, so the pny was perfect for me. A "slow" SSD isn't that slow if you're just using it to browse the web or to use low level productivity stuff.

If the op is running a linux server with high IO or if it's possible failure would lead to a loss in income (business laptop), than sure go with the samsung pro. :)

I'm over thinking the topic probably, but I'd hate to recomend a crap drive to someone who needs something more dependable. I'd also hate to recomend an overkill expense if it's just running the OS on a media center PC.

I prefer intel or samsung pro :D...
Usually I buy used intel from decommissioned server from ebay ....

overkilled is ok, overcrap is so so :p. at least the person know what is his/her limit on expectation hahaha

I went with the Samsung EVO 850 250GB.

The system is a Plex media server. This drive is going to host the metadata and temporary transcoding files.

Hard to go wrong with the EVOs, I've seen some sales on them but the savings are usually only significant on the larger ones...

Price per GB seems to be cheaper as size increases too, but you don't really need a ton of space for an OS drive, 256GB is plenty to not even have to think about it (128GB could require occasional pruning).

Any of the ones that use NAND flash. But *ONLY* those ones. Don't go with the other stuff, Linux is only compatible with NAND based solid state drives at the moment.

These other guys here won't tell you that little gem of information, because they all learned the hard way. But I won't play you like that.

Any of the ones that use NAND flash. But *ONLY* those ones. Don't go with the other stuff, Linux is only compatible with NAND based solid state drives at the moment.

These other guys here won't tell you that little gem of information, because they all learned the hard way. But I won't play you like that.

can you explain?
SSD is SSD...

I learned the easyway on Linux, samsung 830, 840 evo, Intel 520/530/3500, and micron m4/500

what is the little hidden information gem that you mentioned?

Back